1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Season in Stats

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DHCanary, May 10, 2018.

1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The Pinkun have drawn together some stats from the season, which I think make interesting reading.

For example, only Brentford created more goalscoring chances than Norwich this season, yet only 5 teams scored fewer goals.

We averaged 14 shots per game (2nd in the league), with 4 on target per game (4th). Our average possession (53.8%) was 4th highest, whilst for Key Passes (11) and Pass accuracy (80.2%), we were 2nd and 3rd.

On the defensive side, we won just 16.7% of our aerial duels (23rd), and were mid-table for tackles attempted.

Shots per player are interesting. No player in the championship averaged more shots per game than Nelson Oliveira (3.2), but only 1 of those were on target per game. Josh has 2.8 spg (0.9 on target), Maddison 2.8 spg (0.7 on target), whilst Jerome and Vrancic round out our top 5 with woeful figures of 1.7 (0.3) and 1.3 (0.1) respectively.

I'll add some more stats from Whoscored later. I was surprised to see us so highly rated for chances created, less surprised about being terrible in the air!

2. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Interesting stats. I think the game against Wednesday, for example, bears that out. 60% possession, 21 shots to 12. Lose 5-1.

We're doing something right, but there's clearly an issue putting those chances away.

premcanary likes this.
  3. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Do we....Hmmm. I don't want to sound silly..Do we need a striker!?...Sorry, that's mental. Of course we don't.

I'm being silly. It's just every window we need at least 2 strikers, and we sell a couple and buy a player from a village shop.

It just feels like, if we have that possession, and all those chances, but the club don't know why we are in the state. I think it's been obvious for about 4 years

4. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

The coloured band represents the middle 80% of players. To be above or below the band requires exceptionally good or poor finishing. It doesn't make for good reading! "Energetically wasteful" is another characterisation of our attack:

Expected goals is an interesting metric. Based on the position a shot was taken from, how often would you expect it to go in? Our attacking profligacy also looks to be down to poor quality of chances, rather than just poor finishing, when you look at this metric.

5. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

That graphic shows that we are at the cross roads. :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl: