1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Prediction League Season 2022-23

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by notDistantGreen, Jul 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

It seems very early to be doing this: I almost got caught out buying tickets for the opening game: are we early because of the stupid idea to have a World Cup at Christmas? Just wait ‘til FIFA get their way and have a World Cup every 2 years…

If these words seem familiar, it’s because I’ve shamelessly copied almost all of what Sensible said last year.

I’m NOT intending to do the Tinpot Cup Thingy at all: I’m sure you all have better things to do than predict that. League, FA Cup and League Cup (whatever it’s called) only.

The World Cup starts on 21st November. We don’t have a league game between Burton (A) on 19th November and Port Vale (H) on 2nd December, but the FA Cup 2nd Round is scheduled for 26th November, so presumably there won’t be a void period. Should the unthinkable happen and we go out in Round 1, we’ll have a weekend off: none of the teams above us are likely to be playing during the international break. If there is a more substantial interruption to league fixtures for some reason (e.g., we have 6 players called up), perhaps we’ll do something ad hoc with the World Cup.

I’m also going to be highly selective in choosing cup games: Argyle of course, while we last, but no more 20 minutes trying to find out what leagues Ploughed Field Tractors and Middle Nowhere FC actually play in.

1. There will be 50 points for getting the position in the League right at halfway. If nobody gets it right, then 25 points for nearest.

2. There will be another 50 points for the position at the end of the season and 25 points for the nearest if nobody gets it right.

3. The remainder will be as for previous seasons. 3 points for a correct score and 1 point for a correct result.

4. There will be 5 points for the correct time of the first goal in the Argyle match and if nobody gets it right then 3 points for the nearest.

5. There will be one joker allowed which will double the points gained for the match selected. Occasionally a second joker will be allowed.

6. Occasionally there will be a double (or more) points Saturday.

7. Even more occasionally there may be 5 points for the total number of goals scored in the predicted league matches. That gives even the most hopeless forecasters a chance to win something by pure luck (i.e., me)

8. As this is predominantly about Argyle, there will also be predictions for matches Argyle are in the FA Cup and the League Cup. There will be a selection of "other" matches included on those occasions, so it isn't a single prediction.

9. Predictions must be made prior to kick off time. The earlier you can get your forecasts in, the sooner I’ll be able to put you out of your misery and reveal the scores. League games I can do quickly: cup games will take longer.

10. Put your matches in the order shown on the BBC fixture page or things are likely to go horribly wrong.

11. There will be no penalty for non-Argyle fans putting PAFC down for less than a handsome win on every occasion, but I will bear a grudge against any Argyle fans who do so. This will be taken into account in any borderline decisions I have to make.

If anyone has any suggestions or objections let me know.

Please also confirm you’ll be taking part. I hope you will or otherwise I’ll have to change my spreadsheet. There’s a whole universe of social media out there and we’re a dwindling band on this ancient technology, but I really want to keep it going until I win, so keep your calendars free for the foreseeable future and beyond.

How do you pin these things Sensible? You're a moderator or some such aren't you?

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You will require our Argyle prediction for mid-season and end of season positions...before the season starts i assume ?

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sticky on.

4. notDistantGreen

Errrr yes.

Apologies Plym... you are the Moderator.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

sensible is as well.....but it was generally left to me.

So half-way is Dec31st ?....I assume.

6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wots a sticky on?............

7. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

8. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Thanks ND.

I am in

31st December - 6th
    end of season 3nd

9. notDistantGreen

Here we go then.... I shall have to think about this......

upload_2022-7-27_13-46-33.png

There we are then. We're all saying we'll get stronger in the second half of the season than we were in the first - which is the reverse of what's happened in the previous 2 years.

That's because we all want promotion and the play-offs will do. Other than improving after Christmas, the only other alternative is to say we'd be in the top 2 then, falling back into the play-offs in the spring but, given the opposition, top 2 doesn't look likely at any stage! As Jimmy Greaves used to say, it's a funny old game this prediction lark.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Have to start this early but I doubt it would make any difference if I did it at the eleventh hour.

Half season = 9th

Full season = 5th

Accrington 1 - 0 Charlton
    Bristol Rov 1 - 1 Forest Green
    Cambridge 1 - 3 MK Dons
    Cheltenham 0 - 2 Peterborough {Joker}
    Derby 3 - 1 Oxford
    Ipswich 2 - 0 Bolton
    Lincoln 2 - 1 Exeter
    Morecambe 2 - 1 Shrewsbury
    Plymouth 2 - 0 Barnsley {26th min}
    Port Vale 1 - 1 Fleetwood
    Sheff Wed 3 - 0 Portsmouth
    Wycombe 2 - 0 Burton

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022

11. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Dec 31st 10th.
    End of season 5th.

12. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

End of December 8th
    End of Season 6th

13. notDistantGreen

Thanks SMH... I hope that means you'll do the match forecasts too.

smhbcfc likes this.
  14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Been reviewing the situation regarding where Argyle might finish at the end of season.

Not many predictors out there are putting Argyle any higher than possibly 10th or 12th ?

Looking at the choices of teams available it would be easy to put these teams in the top six.....Sheffield W...Ipswich...MK Dons...Wycombe W...Derby...Peterborough......most have pencilled in Sheffield W as top team.

That leaves out.....Barnsley...Bolton...Oxford...Portsmouth...Charlton...and of course Argyle.

Our first game might be a mighty wake up call...with Barnsley visiting us.....it's hard to tell how relegated teams react when dropping down a level.....and have they managed to retain their Championship players....who suddenly come alive again at a lower level.....who knows.

Without knowing if we will lose any of our squad before the season kicks-off.....you can say that the players coming in should have strengthened us.....reminds me of the lack of depth we had at the important end of season games...when we were definately a weaker team because of injuries and missed out on the play-offs......Now we have better cover for most positions.....I'm just concerned that we might be a keeper short.....and personally I don't think it is fair on a 16yr old to have to be on the bench because one of our two keepers is out injured.....he is only one crunching tackle away from having to come on.....it would either make him or put back his development for awhile if he fails the unfair test on his lack of experience in such a situation..

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

You have NO Argyle GOAL time sensible.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Thank you and will amend. Just put some numbers in a hat and pick one Plym it's about as scientific as that and remember it is only a bit of fun........

17. notDistantGreen

Errrm how do you send a message to specific members - is it a Conversation? We haven't heard from Joe or Musty.

18. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

its a cream BUN SENSIBLE ..

IM in Not distant and well done for keeping this going or i would have had to come out of retirement ..

half way Position for me : 10th end season 3rd

When does it all start i have lost track ..

19. Greenarmyjoe

i better do mine now before i forget

20. Greenarmyjoe

Accrington 2 - 1 Charlton
    Bristol Rov 2 - 1 Forest Green
    Cambridge 1 - 0 MK Dons
    Cheltenham 1 - 1 Peterborough
    Derby 0 - 1 Oxford
    Ipswich 2 - 2 Bolton
    Lincoln 1 - 1 Exeter