1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Season 2017/18. RIP.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Apr 9, 2018.

1. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

10 goals! But I agree, all that promise but no progress

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.
  2. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So much raw pace that 9 times out of 10 he's the only city player in their final third.
    So does he cross into an empty penalty box, try a shot from a difficult / impossible angle, what?
    It would help if one or two other players could get forward to support him, that may help his decision making which is sadly lacking still.

JM Fan likes this.
  3. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I think this is a little harsh. You can’t really give Srbeny a D given how little time he’s had - I agree A is equally pointless though. He’s probably an N/A for the moment.

Otherwise, all those C+ read from the review to reflect the poor season for the team as a collective rather than suggesting the players themselves were poor.

Overall, I don’t think that takes away much from Farke’s player transfer record probably being the standalone thing in which he has excelled (by comparison to our other recent managers).

Let’s face it, on our day we’ve looked pretty good (v Villa, Arsenal, Chelsea and a few other matches). The players are generally fine (though obviously can always be improved), we need consistency.

4. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

You've had a crap season yet have come up with five positive points and only four negatives!?!??! Find that a little amiss considering the talent you have!?

Farke IN or out ?

5. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If you read it properly it was left open to others to add to their + and - points.
    I didn't say either was a definitive list.

6. General Melchett

Are they really generally fine or occationally can lift themselves there? They have been generally adequate. But they have been as often inadequate as they have been fine.

Can the players all be A-C in a struggling team. I guess it depends on what grade you might think of as poor. For my generalisation Anything A-C is good, D-E OK but need better, F-G - please leave! That is not to say someone graded below A* (This should be for exceptional performance) has not had A* moments or performances but as a team game if we are struggling for goals and you are not scoring or creating chances or at the very least facilitating others to do so, can you really be an A?
    An A* team should be winning the league, A Auto promotion, B Playoffs, C Challenging for the playoffs/in them, D+ Challenging and failing D- mid-table not really challenging, E Mid-table lower, only flirting with relegation, F lower half and relegation threatened, G and U relegated.
    Of course there is mitigation to these. If you are Burton and hit mid-table then arguably you have so exceded expectation and budget suggestive position that your grades might be B or C (Maybe A this all about expectation)
    so For me we Grade about C-. We would be a D- but due to the upheaval of the squad and general change of direction I'd bump us up to a C-. Some might say it should be higher, but with one of the brightest young players in the division and uptil this summer some residual parachute payments and a bigger budget than many I think we should have at least been challenging for the playoffs, even if we ultimately failed in the closing stages.
    This is why I would question JM's ratings. How can all those guys be rated so highly, when only Hanley might feature in the top 3 for POT. If you assess our best and most influencial players this season. I think they are:
    Maddison A*
    Gunn A
    Tettey A
    Hanley B+
    Lewis B+
    Lietner B+
    Trybull B
    The rest C or worse, I guess this reflects what a struggle at times it has been with injuries taking away a number of our most influencial players, but also makes me think that my ratings might even still be overly generous!
    Just noticed we also left out Reed. C, looks too small and definitely not strong enough to play DM. With the right midfield partners he maybe useful.

Bah!

7. General Melchett

See my responses for a rather bigger proportion in the negatives (And I was trying to generally be positive!)

IN

Farke to get the start of next season, after;
    another transfer window,
    accumulating some experience of the division,
    getting time with a large proportion of what will be his team next year.

If after 10, 15, 20? games, if the football is still hard to watch, our league position is poor/out of touch with the playoffs, we can't score. Then I think we have to consider giving him the bullit. A plan can be right but with the wrong men to implement it, it will only go one way.

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.