1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Scummy england.

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Commachio, Oct 5, 2017.

1. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

Theres nothing scummy about the problem I have with my next suggestion. I understand that it is all in a good cause and all that but.......

I have a problem with the amount of exposure serious illness' get in the media. You cant watch a tv programme without being reminded during the adverts that something like 1 in 3 of us is gonna die a horrible death. For somebody like myself who suffers from Health Anxiety it is a total nightmare. I remember a year or two back I was fixated with the prospect of getting testicular cancer, I put the telly on and started watching some sitcom hoping it would help put my mind at ease. Low and behold the main character got testicular cancer, in a comedy show. I'll turn the radio on, 'You're listening to Talk Sport - In association with Prostate cancer' Even something like that triggers off my anxiety. This happens all the time. Now I'm all for making people aware of things like this - it will certainly help save lives but I think that it is total overkill at present and will only fuel an increase in mental illnesses in the future. It is one cog in a society that will lead to a nation of anxiety suffers within the next 50-100 years. Like I say, I have nothing against things like the adverts, but lets have them shown once or twice a day rather than during every advert break.