1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Scouts

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Dens Hoops, May 20, 2011.

1. Dens Hoops

Dens Hoops Well-Known Member

When you see the players that Reading have signed from Cork City. Doyle, Hunt, Long to name a few, it makes me wonder if Rangers have a presence in Southern Ireland

2. Shawswood

Shawswood Well-Known Member

HTML:
    :biggrin:
    So that was why the Queen went there today.

3. Swords Hoopster

Swords Hoopster New Member

Dunno Dens Hoops. I do remember in the late nineties there was a QPR scout in my area for a couple of weeks and I remember everyone bustin' their guts on the field to get noticed (myself included :redface:). A few lads earned themselves trials but never made it.

It would make good sense to have a contact over here and one in Jockland as well because, as you say, it worked for Reading.

4. Dens Hoops

Swords, Are you a Gaelic football fan? and if so how do you think the Dubs will get on in this years All Ireland

5. Swords Hoopster

Yeah Dens I'm a Dubs fan. As per every year they're hyped up by the media as practically favourites and every year they choke like chumps. They're a strong side this year though and they have a chance. Perhaps third behind Kerry and Cork

6. The other R in Houston

The other R in Houston Well-Known Member

Do you mean they choke like Cardiff? Or choke like Dave Jones being forced to praise QPR....?

7. Northolt-QPR

Northolt-QPR Active Member

Someone mention Jones?:)

8. Shawswood

:undecided:
    Ciarrai might have grounds for complaining that this thread is careering seriously off topic!

9. Dens Hoops

Swords I am a Kerryman and of course hope that the Kingdom do well this year, I think that Dublin and Cork will be the teams to beat.

10. Dens Hoops

Twins

Ciarrai is a gentleman and would not dream of complaining.

11. Shawswood

Of course!

12. BrixtonR

BrixtonR Well-Known Member

Question for iQPR.

Once upon a time way back when Fred Flintstone was a boy, it was rare to find a home grown Irish lad who played football: it was all GF and hurling.

There's no doubt that this has changed greatly over the past two or three decades - and I'm very surprised at the apparent lack of QPR scouts in Dublin of all places.

Has the uptake in football in any way damaged the more traditional sports in the Republic or is it a case of the more the merrier?

13. Dens Hoops

How wonderful to have so many QPR fans from Ireland

14. Dens Hoops

BrixtonR I was told a few years back from my nephew who lives in Dublin that Jack Charlton was responsible for the interest in soccer

15. Swords Hoopster

16. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

Swords, this may surprise you but I would love to see the Dubs do well, after all your best 2 players, the Brogans, are half Kerryman, ABC - anyone but Cork.

Dens point is a good one, Reading has done very well recruiting Irish players. We have no young players coming through, Sterling would have have been the one exception.

Twins, we may have strayed off subject but no Kerryman would complain about talking about gaelic football, its our favourite past-time.

17. Swords Hoopster

Truth be told Ciarrai most Dubs of my generation have at least one Country parent, myself included. In fact if it wasn't for the "culchies" that came to live in Dublin in the 60's and 70's, the GAA wouldn't be near as strong here as it is today. Still, almost all of our country cousins love to see us lose!!

Dens, are you registered over on the IQPR site???

18. BrixtonR

BrixtonR Well-Known Member

I don't know about that Dens - and the Charlton / Anglo factor isn't what my question was about.

Having grown up playing 'soccer' in the 60s / 70s in the parks and schools around Kilburn (including Queens Park!) and Cricklewood with Irish kids, mostly born over here, whose dads, uncles etc. had no time for anything other than GF and/or hurling, I know there was huge frustration among team-mates at the rarity of Irish soccer players competing at top levels.

This was very much the case throughout the Johnny Giles generation and still apparent when Liam Brady ruled. There is clearly a great deal more tolerance / enthusiasm for soccer in Ireland than back then. Mindful of similar changes in emphasis in the Caribbean (where greater interest in soccer is blamed for the decline in the high standards of Windies cricket), I was just wondering how this had affected GF and hurling in the Republic.

Thanks for indulging me with a straight answer to a straight question Swords. I watch international rugby all the time but it hadn't occurred to me that the success of recent Irish teams would have impacted against the traditional sports more than soccer. Given the similarities to GF, seems obvious now you've pointed it out.

Whilst my question included my surprise at the lack of QPR scouts in Dublin, apologies for going off topic.

19. Dens Hoops

Hi Swords, No I am not 0n the 1QPR site is it worth having a look at?

Good results for Kerry and Cork today

20. Swords Hoopster

Yeah just register like here and you can post on the forum etc.