1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Science - It's life Jim but not as we know it...

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Treble, Feb 4, 2022.

1. Turbia Milk

Turbia Milk Well-Known Member

I suspect they could beat Chelsea:

https://www.popsci.com/technology/deepmind-robot-soccer/

Google Robots Playing football.

2. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Treble and brb like this.
  3. brb

brb CR250

I looked it up because I thought that's a lot in one place, I thought they were alligators (seemed a bit small), comments were saying they were Crocs. In fact I think they are Cayman (Caiman) - one nest can consist of 10 - 50 eggs which hatch within 6 weeks, so they breed like fooking rabbits, hence probably the large numbers, main diet is fish, so makes a bit more sense now....if my assumptions are correct. Interesting though.

Treble likes this.
  4. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Archers Road, Treble and Turbia Milk like this.
  5. Turbia Milk

Alligators have eyes that reflect like cats eyes at night. If you're out near the swamp during the day can look around never see an alligator, but then at night shine a powerful torch over the water and they look like they're everywhere... <laugh>

I don't kayak late spring/early summer (below the fall line where alligators live, I go inland more where there are none). Only time they're dangerous because they're guarding nests.

Treble likes this.
  6. Sucky

7. brb

brb CR250

NASA has confirmed that its exciting Dragonfly mission, which will fly a drone-like craft around Saturn's largest moon, Titan, will cost $3.35 billion and launch in July 2028. Titan is the only other world in the solar system other than Earth that has weather and liquid on its surface.2 days ago

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiec...most-exciting-space-mission-of-your-lifetime/

upload_2024-4-21_11-45-42.jpeg

NASA has confirmed that its exciting Dragonfly mission, which will fly a drone-like craft around Saturn’s largest moon, Titan, will cost $3.35 billion and launch in July 2028.

Titan is the only other world in the solar system other than Earth that has weather and liquid on its surface. It has an atmosphere, rain, lakes, oceans, shorelines, valleys, mountain ridges, mesas and dunes—and possibly the building blocks of life itself. It’s been described as both a utopia and as deranged because of its weird chemistry.

Set to reach Titan in 2034, the Dragonfly mission will last for two years once its lander arrives on the surface. During the mission, a rotorcraft will fly to a new location every Titan day (16 Earth days) to take samples of the giant moon’s prebiotic chemistry. Here’s what else it will do:

• Search for chemical biosignatures, past or present, from water-based life to that which might use liquid hydrocarbons.
    • Investigate the moon’s active methane cycle.
    • Explore the prebiotic chemistry in the atmosphere and on the surface.

duggie2000 and Treble like this.
  8. brb

brb CR250

9. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I was a bit mystified when he said it was the biggest BH in the galaxy at 33 solar masses, which is tiny compared to Sagittarius A at 4.3m. but they explain it later.

brb likes this.
  10. brb

brb CR250

Yeah it was a bit misleading when I first read an article on it. I meant to post up a section out of the Space .com link, but I posted the link and forgot to paste the paragraph out of it - probably because I went to look for the posted video on it. I knew there was something I meant to do lol.

11. brb

brb CR250

12. brb

brb CR250

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    Treble likes this.
  13. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

Probably just a bunch of drunken cats skinny dipping... <whistle>

14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Started watching that and thought I'd give it 2 mins and ended up watching all of it. It's excellent <ok>

The bloke explains everything very methodically, which makes me think if you liked this why the heck don't you like the bloke on the Planets series!

Anyway I have 2 questions:

1) Black holes form from collapsing stars, so that eventually all the energy converts to mass and becomes so compact (into a singularity) that the gravitational pull sucks everything in. Matter, time, and light - all sucked in towards the singularity. And once something reaches the rim of a black hole (the event horizon) nothing can stop it from entering. So my first question is, if a white hole begins with a singularity, which has an immense gravitational power otherwise it wouldn't be a singularity, how the hell does anything escape from it? It would need an immense supply of energy, so where does that come from in the first place? And on top of that, once you'd got particles to leave the singularity you'd need a constant supply of energy to accelerate and keep the particle travelling faster than the speed of light! He never actually talks about this unfortunately.

2) If nothing can enter a white hole, how did a singularity get inside in the first place? He does mention this towards the end and talks about it being the other side of a black hole, but that raises even more questions (including me wondering why the black hole wouldn't collapse).

brb likes this.
  15. brb

brb CR250

Two completely different teaching styles to me mate. A lot of me is about lack of concentration, so it's about keeping it as simple and straightforward as possible...but my simple often chooses the most complicated route, or so I'm told.

I imagine a black to white hole scenario like that of an hour glass, black hole sucks it all in, it builds up in the centre before enough matter has built up to eject it all, bit like us having a ****, the white hole is like the night after a curry and several beers. I hasten to add, I give no timespan over which that happens, so it could be millions of years, it could be a short space of time...

please log in to view this image

Although I imagne it more like this, and the ability to travel quicker between two points, although I call that more fantasy and what I would like to believe that happens, the scientific purpose of that, I again draw a blank ...

I don't generally watch sci-fi films, so can't reflect on it more than that, although I watched Dr Who as a kid, so maybe we need a Tardis?

In truth though, I don't know the answers or even if a white hole exists as there are probably many other explanations for that of gamma rays.

If I find anymore details that helps with this I will post it up.

Treble likes this.
  16. Sucky

Dunno.

But i do know that if white hole and black hole had a fight the black hole would win

Treble likes this.
  17. Turbia Milk

Are the holes doing boxing or MMA? Because that might help determine which hole would win.

18. Sucky

A black hole would consume a white hole over a very very long time this would make the black hole much bigger too.

Watched something about it the other night, the biggest black hole i got to before falling asleep was 400 billion times the mass of our sun.

Incomprehensible size really

Turbia Milk likes this.
  19. Turbia Milk

So assuming a perfectly round sphere and using a more understandable metric... the circumference of that sphere could fit 32,590,000,000,000 Wales.

Or 764,600,000,000,000,000,000 whales.

/I was surprised could only fit 23.5 million whales in Wales. I felt for sure could fit more that that, but that's what AI told me, and I'm too lazy to do the maths myself

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  20. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

If the black hole and white hole are two sides of the same entity then the black hole has to collapse surely? Because as the black hole sucks everything in, the white hole is spewing it out. If the black hole stops consuming because nothing is entering, the white hole continues to spew stuff out. As the singularity reduces in size the black hole collapses <whistle>

21. Sucky

No.

Black hole wins

YouTube said so

Treble likes this.