1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Schofield quitting

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by vinkel, May 21, 2023.

1. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

The whole situation seems "odd". Ok, he was married and came out as gay but I can't understand why he still wears a wedding ring and why he's not divorced. I think this has blown up slightly because of his brother and people on social media are probably saying that Schofield is like him since he's known this "ex-colleague" since he was 15 plus he will be trying to save his reputation and tv career

2. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I’m on another forum where a lass reckons she has been fighting to get things published for years saying he has been grooming this lad since he was 10, she has also written a ton of other stuff that will eventually come out, which doesn’t make him sound to innocent to be fair.

smithy in nl and Robertson like this.
  3. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Cheryl Cole meeting her now boyfriend when he was 14.

Nothing ever said about this.

cheryl--liam-payne-first-meet-1480601573-herowidev4-0.png

TopCat_ likes this.
  4. Row 3

Row 3 Well-Known Member

Smug in Boots and TopCat_ like this.
  5. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

TBH, I've thought that there's something more to come out - it's been bubbling for far too long

6. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

It was all over the media and reported in every paper despite there only being ten years age difference.

Mirror:

"This is massive. It’s up there with Geri quitting the Spice Girls."

7. Smug in Boots

'He would say that wouldn't he'.
    Mandy Rice-Davies

Nothing to do with the lies, the feeling of betrayal from his colleagues, the way he got his mate a job in front of other people or the massive age difference ...

... no, it's beccause ITV, who have gay dating shows, etc, are homophobic <doh>

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    Row 3 likes this.
  8. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

I remember thinking it was a bit weird at the time, she met him as a proper kid. Same as Caroline Flack and Harry Styles, which I believe their relationship started when he was even younger!

But you are right if it was a male tv presenter in his 30's with a 17 year pop star (male or female) there would probably be a bit more fuss. Got to be honest I remember saying about Flack that I was surprised it wasn't mentioned that he was so young! 17 to her 31, but there is always a element of nudge, nudge, wink, wink jammy little sod wouldn't minded that when I was 17. Same happy when female teachers have sex with underage lads, pedophile doesn't seem to stick to them ladies as much even in the courts!

However, the thing that I think sets this apart from them two is that those two lads were well on there way to fame and riches by the time they met them two. There has been suggestions that Phil was using his power and influence along with promises of what help he could give his career!

vic9, Saf and Smug in Boots like this.
  9. Smug in Boots

There's also the fact that Cole and Flack were, at those times, much more minor players than Schofield is now ...

... and the two women were presented as daring, party going and outrageous.

Schofield had a highly paid career based almost entirely on being a wholesome family man with a wonderful wife ...

... turns out it was all a big lie.

C Montgomery Burns likes this.
  10. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

The point here mate is that grooming is grooming, regardless of gender.

If Schofield didn't have any sort of sexual relations with this lad until he was 20, like he claimed, then he has done nothing wrong in the eyes of the law. If he has groomed the lad for sex from before he was 16, then he's committed an offence and should be locked up.

Same with Cheryl Cole. Liam Payne was only a contestant on a talent show. He hadn't made it when he first met Cheryl.

vic9 likes this.

11. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

I agree it doesnt matter whether the adult is male or female and like I said it pisses me off when you see female teachers get a slap on the wrist for having sexual relationships with 14 or 15 year old lads, but like I said people go lucky lad wish there were teachers like that when I was at school!

12. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_1685745457627.jpg

"With my reputation already a complete mess, I feel there is no better time to announce I am a Newcastle fan."

13. Iain

Iain Well-Known Member

But there also isn't any indication that Cheryl did anything other than judge him on a talent show when he was 15. She didn't have any other kind of relationship with him till he was well over the age of consent, it is not a crime to have a relationship with someone just because you knew them before the age of consent.
    In Schofields case there is a case that he befriended him before the age of 16 and used his power to get him a job and promised he could get acting work. This could be looked at as a form of grooming, however, if he did as a genuine friend and any form of relationship develops after the age of consent then the only thing Schofield has done wrong is commit adultery. I think in his case though there maybe more to come.
    Flack no matter what her age met Harry Styles when he was 17 so had done **** all wrong, and Cheryl knew her future boyfriend from when he was 15 did nothing wrong either just by knowing him

14. Smug in Boots

There is a difference though, teenage boys can't get pregnant ...

... so the consequences with teenage girls can be much more serious and long lasting.

I do agree that grooming is always wrong and all adults, especially those in positions of power, should be and really are aware of their responsibilities.

I still don't understand why Schofield is saying what he did was unforgivable and he'd have killed himself if not for his daughters ...

... from the story he's telling i can't see that hes done that much wrong.

He had sex with another bloke, big deal.

I did think it was particularly poor of him to compare himself to Caroline Flack.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  15. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

He's manoeuvred the boy into a position where the relationship can happen. If the other party had gone off to work in tv elsewhere there would be less of a problem.

A better comparison would have been if Cheryl had recruited him into her band straight away, but that was never likely as mimers don't need musicians or backing singers ;)

16. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

At what point does it stop being "grooming"?

It's not as if Schofield shagged him 5 minutes after he was 16, the lad was 20 and old enough to make his own decision. If the lad was 25, would it still have been an issue? 30?

17. Smug in Boots

I don't think there's any real suggestion of grooming tbh.

I think it's the way Schofield used his position to bring the bloke close to him then lied to his wife, family, friends, colleagues, bosses, etc. ITV rely on advertising revenue so have to appear to be truthful. Schofield, as far as im aware, was employed primarily as a cute and cuddly family man who pontificated about moral issues, etc.

And that's the issue, in my guess ...

... he's made everyone he knows look like gullible dopes and no one would be pleased about that.

18. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

I think you're probably right, but there's a lot of wild speculation about illegality which seems to have no evidence attached to it.

The man has lost his marriage, his friends and his career. I think he's paid the price for his wrong doing.

I'm not sure what else the media/public want from him.

19. Iain

Iain Well-Known Member

It's one of those scenarios to do with image and being in the public eye, unless there is something in his contract to say he is not allowed a relationship with a work colleague or clauses in his contract to do with tarnishing the image of the company, although he has been a dickhead that is his only crime.
    If I employed a 50 year old married man who had a recommended a young 16 year old that he has know for a few years, say a friend of the family for a job.
    I employ him on the recommendation then 4 years later this bloke comes out as being gay and started having a relationship with the younger lad who is now 20.
    I would think he has been a twat for the way he has treated his wife and family, but I can say without a doubt that I would not have one single reason to sack him.
    This is why I'm confused as to why Schofield has admitted that he has done a terrible thing and he's ashamed of what he has done.
    This will be quite a normal case for people who are gay but try to live a normal life while living a lie, I actually worked with a lad that was gay and was married with 2 kids as he was trying to be NORMAL.
    In the end he realised he couldn't carry on the pretense

20. Smug in Boots

It's quite bizarre isn't it, lead story on BBC 6pm news, front page of the papers, etc. It's not like he's a serious presenter or hugely talented, ITV aren't robbing us of someone irreplaceable.

And, to be contrary, his own reaction has been just as, perhaps more, extreme than the media and publc.

'What I did was unforgivable ... I wanted to commit suicide ... I've lost everything'.

Haway man, you've lost your job and fell out with a few friends, happens to people every day.