1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Schneiderlin signs for Man U - official

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Lots of jobs force us to question our values and put our integrity on the line. Having worked on the edge of the murky world of politics I came to realise that there wre some politicians, civil servants and others who could be relied upon to be true to their principles. I was often in total disagreement with these principles, but I could recognise them and therefore always predict where they would stand. I had total respect for people like this, and tried to do the same. Others, with whom I shared a set of principles, were as slimy as snakes and were respected by no-one. I also had to work with journalists. As a body, they had as much standing as estate agents - no hang on, they weren't considered that highly. However, one or two rose above the crap and you knew that they'd run a story fairly.

DTLW, as an old bugger I think of you almost as a grandson. I 100% endorse the views of FLT here. In fact, this forum is a micro-version of the world we are talking about. If I see a post from you I trust it. You've earned that through your careful reporting. But be aware that a reputation can be lost in seconds. As we all know, our Fench friend almost blew it all with one ill thought out tweet.

fatletiss and lamby like this.
  2. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

It's a naff article, I agree. It has no real 'insight' for those who 'know' the situation, it's just short, sharp, sensationalism for the DS audience.

I wouldn't be happy with my name on it, and Alex doesn't seem pleased himself. It made me think about my own approach and so forth. If told to write something along the lines of 'Schneiderlin waits for United move', I'd do it in a heartbeat. But 'forced to train with the kids' - no, I wouldn't. But what we have here is a headline not befitting the story's intention.

Also, I agree with you guys that I wouldn't want copy going out with my name on, if it wasn't actually my work. I'm just musing over the difficulties in turning down work from a national that pays pretty well, or trying to flex your muscles when you're a freelancer - incredibly difficult.

I should at this point add that while I've had pieces in the DS, that's not particularly where I see myself or where I strive to be.

Again, thanks for the thoughtful replies, which I can completely understand and empathise with.

3. Craig smith

Craig smith Well-Known Member

We know Schneiderlin is going
    We know it's becoming difficult to get Toby
    So let's just keep it positive...........
    Who's coming in?

4. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

I'm confused Ron says that no bid from United yet?

5. Mostlymadeofwater

Mostlymadeofwater Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of rubbish articles, but I've actually been a freelance journalist and sometimes you do have to swallow your principles to an extent and go where the work is. I wrote in IT and not sport, but several times I had to write puff articles that I didn't really have any interest in writing because I needed the money that month. You also need make hay while the sun shines to an extent, and keep your best clients happy because then the work keeps flowing. I had to write a piece I didn't like at all for the FT, but they paid better than any of my other clients, so did it without a second thought.

Not supporting shoddy journalism, just the realism that goes with freelancing. (and sorry to go back off topic!)

6. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

No 'serious' bid. They probably tabled a 17m.

fatletiss likes this.
  7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I was thinking that they had only bid 20m and that's a nice little dig at LvG

8. fatletiss

Of course CF and I have really picked up on this because I am keen to see the progress of a certain young journalist around here. I joined in mainly because of wanting to offer some thoughts to him.

Lyrics - The Fortunes.

9. fatletiss

With your work ethic and passion, too damn right you shouldn't see yourself at the DS. You've got a few good things going for you. Aim high. Shoot for the Stars.

* that's not "shoot the stars" - you'll get arrested for that*

10. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Yeah, I am. :)

Storm in a Tea Cup

Just trying to remember who came out with it. It's a single from the 1970's. They used to play on the Dell's tannoys a lot.

EDIT: Well done FLT. The Fortunes. Not my cup of tea, tbf.

11. fatletiss

I have since googled it and Lyndsey de Paul came up from 72???

12. TheSecondStain

The very talented and cute little Lyndsey de Paul. Sadly not with us any longer.

13. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Quick question for DTLW or anyone else freelance.
    Often you see articles which are not credited e.g. Daily Mirror reporter

As a freelance can you sell stories for a bit less but not attach your name.
    Then it's just on the publications head and not your own?

14. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

... and Arsenal say they are no longer interested, does that mean we will be lumbered with paying his wages for the time being?

15. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Trust me, it's not just the tabloid press - I've had chats with journalist 'friends' from places like the Guardian which have been (and I have expressly said) in confidence. They've then ended up in the paper the next day. You learn pretty quickly from experiences like that, and the trouble is, a journalist, by their very nature, finds a tidbit of juicy gossip almost irresistible. What FLT said before is absolutely true though - you have to draw a line where your principles lie and then steadfastly not cross that, no matter the temptation. In the long run that will serve you, and your soul, a whole lot better.

fatletiss and TheSecondStain like this.
  16. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same sort of thing. That Star "article" is literally 5 sentences long so surely "Star reporter" at the top would do?

17. TheSecondStain

Come to think of it. How come Jay Rodriguez, Gaston Ramirez, Cedric Soares, Juanmi, etc.. are also being forced to train with the kids.?

What have they done wrong.? Not newsworthy.? :)

18. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Generally, when you freelance, it's all about getting the byline.

There's generally a standard rate of pay, although you can try and negotiate. 'Star reporter' or the like, tends to be someone inside the paper not being arsed about having the byline, for whatever reason.

The Daily Mail used to use 'Mail reporter' for copy purchased from the Press Association, until recently, when they were told they had to credit the actual writer of the copy, rather than vaguely attribute it to themselves.

saintlyhero likes this.
  19. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

According to a RonKo interview, Rambo is being employed to translate fror Juanmi!

20. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member