1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Scally likes numbers - here's some to chew over

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Apr 18, 2018.

1. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

After the match I exchanged messages with a childhood friend of mine that I am still in contact with. He now lives in the Midlands (I'm pretty sure that some of you have met him) but is Gills through and through. His (I think) great grandfather upped roots from Blackpool to sign for Brompton FC round about the turn of the 1900's, so he literally has the club in his blood. He was in Medway this week and went to the match. His message to me was

"It was the worst game I have ever seen Gills play. It was simply dreadful, No plans no creativity lacklustre effort all round. We were lucky to lose 1-0. Honestly lost for words. 3 pts out of the last 21. No goals in open play since Portsmouth. They may scrape survival. Such a disappointment after the great mid season run."

As he didn't see the away game against Rochdale, and I wasn't there on Tuesday, it's impossible to compare, but the general consensus among the Northern following is that the best you can say about the Rochdale match is that we only conceded 3. It was a pathetic performance. I also remember a game in the not too distant past at Bury where my comment after the game was that it looked as if the players had met each other for the first time in the car park outside before the game. We have all seen bad performances, but for that comment to come from him, knowing his history of watching Gills for even longer than me, is quite something.

There is obviously something fundamentally wrong. Whether it's the manager, the coaching or the players is for the club to sort out. I think we've missed Clare since January, but such a change in performance shouldn't be down to 1 player. Grumpy's form table above makes worrying reading, and Gills need to get rid of any remnant of complacency about what's needed in the next 3 games if we want to be sure of playing in L1 next season.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    grumpygit, alwaysright and brb like this.
  2. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Funnily enough I didn't think we were that bad against Rotherham, they were clearly a better team than us but had a similar number of chances as us.
    52% possession against their 48%, 10 shots against their 12, 3 on target against their 5.
    Where we have been so poor this season is in front of goal, if Parker and Eaves are marked out of the game we have no other goal threat.
    I can remember just a few years over the many, where our goal threat from midfield and defence has been so poor.

brb likes this.