1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sanchez

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Mantis, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Anyone glad we got rid of him? For all our travails in recent times, I think we made the correct decision in dispensing with this guy. He's done nothing at all of note for United. Long may it continue.

2. gills4prem

gills4prem Active Member

And love the swop now, was not so sure at the time

3. Quilllogic

Quilllogic Active Member

When we bought Sanchez he was not a regular in the Barcelona team which is probably why we were able to get him.
    At Arsenal he was a big fish, maybe the biggest, but at United there a lot of big fishes and at the moment he doesn't seem to gel with them.

gooner4ever likes this.
  4. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

He's playing under an incredibly negative manager that is averse to playing free flowing attacking football. Everyone and his dog knows about how he plays so him and the rest have themselves to blame for joining manure with him as manager. But i think he's also not as good as he once was and is struggling to adapt in a changing climate. Very much what happened to Wenger many years ago, when you can't adapt you're finished.

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Poetic justice for Sanchez. He shafted us because he thought he could get better elsewhere and he's ended up sitting at the back of Maureen's bus.

gooner4ever likes this.
  6. lazarus20000

<laugh> It makes you wonder why he didn't pick City, was the extra millions worth the move...I guess the extra large mansion and private jet will cushion the blow.

PINKIE likes this.
  7. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

He was having a bad Season at Arsenal before the move and that form seems to have continued.

Its crazy to think last Season he scored 28 goals got 18 assists. He looks like a shadow of his former self.

8. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Chile's exit from the WC could have knocked it out of him, perhaps

9. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

He's been off form all season, for us included. Can't imagine the way Utd play has helped him in trying to rediscover his form.

He gets **** loads more money now though!

10. lazarus20000

On top of the ****s loads of money we gave him!

11. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Whilst it is great to see any player under Mourinho falter, it makes it even sweeter when he's poached one of our top stars and said player has been floundering in the wilderness. I do take a lot of glee from this situation.

However, let's not forget that Sanchez is still a top-class player and he was our (joint) top goalscorer before he left, alongside Lacazette. Even if he stayed and didn't score any goals for the past two months, he would still be our top goalscorer, which shows just how badly we have struggled in front of goal at times.

Contrary to a few of the comments on here, I still maintain that a player of Sanchez's quality would be beneficial to us and would have been a game changer in some of the shocking displays we've seen over the last month or so. He was a get out of jail card for us. We don't have one of those any longer.

There are a triad of reason why I believe he's been ineffective at United.

1) He is unsure about what his actual role in the team is. It isn't clearly defined. Is he supposed to create? Is he supposed to be a more potent goal threat? What areas is he meant to be operating in? What's the position which their team can get the most out of him? A lot of these questions remain unanswered and I don't believe Mourinho has helped by shoehorning him into the team.

2) At Arsenal, he was the star man in a team with very few star players. Now he's in a United dressing room full of egos and strong personalities. Perhaps he has struggled to accept that he won't be the centre of attention like he was at Arsenal.

3) Although we get criticised for getting too exposed, we did have a lot of midfield runners in our team, thus giving us more attacking options. The midfield at United aren't on his wavelength. He's gone from a midfield that isn't disciplined enough to a midfield that is too disciplined. Whenever he loses the ball, he is expecting more support from the players behind him, yet because Mourinho curbs their attacking instincts, he has less options to utilise.

As I said, I am quite smug about his woes at United, not least because of who their manager is. But if we still had him in our team right now, with the way we play, he would be an asset to us. Think about it. He was determined to leave us and wasn't a positive influence, yet his contribution in his last few months still outweighs 98% of our squad.

I genuinely think if United had a more forward-thinking, progressive manager, he would be performing significantly better than he is right now.

PINKIE likes this.
  12. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Well you guys know that I was never as big a fan of his as I was of Ozil.

I think Sanchez does score goals but he also takes goals away from other people because so many attacks break down with him. When he is on top of his game and his stuff is coming off, he looks great, but when it isn't working for him or the other team focuses on keeping him wrapped up, instead of just laying the ball off or making decoy runs for other people, he is still trying to produce a miracle, or running his players into the middle and congesting the penalty area.

https://me.me/i/playtiko-alexis-sanchez-lost-the-ball-42-times-vs-sevilla-21009938
    http://adventuretribune.com/2018/02/sevilla-plan-to-tie-up-man-utds-alexis-sanchez-jokes/

Sanchez makes the game all about him, and you can't have that, Even if it results in him leading the scoring, because when he does fail to score or assist, it is unlikely anyone else will either, with him making low % decisions the whole time

He always picks the move that has the highest % that he will score or assist on every attack even if it has a very low % of coming off. He doesn't pick the move that has the highest % chance of the team scoring. And once other teams figure that out, they can shut him down and make him give the ball away.

BobbyD, PINKIE and Diego like this.
  13. Kanu's Skill

Kanu's Skill New Member

He'll flop at United.

14. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

Sanchez has played non-stop football for the last four years. He's knackered and needs a break to rejuvenate himself. He'll be back next season.

15. Kanu's Skill

Kanu's Skill New Member

Who cares **** him.

goonerred likes this.
  16. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Knackered? I wish my job consisted of 2-3 hours of mandatory daily training a day then 1-2 hours a week of full intensity work.

The truth is playing 40-50 games a Season shouldn't be a problem for a 28-29 year old player. They have a lot of rest time and access to world class facilities and coaching.

To put this into perspective. I work 40-50 hours a week in the film industry then teach PT sessions in the evenings. I train weights 2 days a week, 1 day yoga and 3 days Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and I'm 38.

Point being a well managed pro - shouldn't have a problem with that kind of workload.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  17. goonerred

goonerred Member

It's always annoyed me about players being tired. I think Wenger has gone on about it so much for the last decade or so that the players have bought into it. Lee Dixon always laughs at it, saying top players just love playing games, and just loved the fact that you could train a bit less if the schedule was heavy. If you're going for a lot of trophies, you're going to play a lot of matches. If you have top players, they are going to be involved in international matches for their countries, it's been like it for a long time.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    lazarus20000, PINKIE and TheBear like this.
  18. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member