1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Same old walking pace dross v Forrest.

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

This team is bloody hard to watch. Slow as slow gets, not a single player wants to run forwards, 80% of passes go like ping pong across the back line or to Jorginho who, with his back to goal, passes it straight back to Silva.
    One good game and both Sterling and Pulisic return to type. Sterling totally disappears, Pulisic constantly runs into dead ends and loses the ball / ends up on his arse with his hands in the air. Havertz gets not a single ball that a striker could use from our overrun,and tactically clueless midfield.
    Potter stands emotionless watching us being run ragged by a hard working but pretty talentless team, and uses his subs both badly and 20 minutes too late.I say talentless because a better team should have put 3 or 4 past us on that display.
    I don't think Potter is showing any signs of being up to managing Chelsea properly. Can't think of a single player or area of play that has improved under his rule. Sure it's early days, but nothing is changing for the better.
    Top 4 is surely gone now, maybe time to use those talented kids that "have impressed Potter greatly" at training, as he keeps telling us. Then maybe get some decent players in. Oh there's a problem, who at the Club is qualified to make that decision?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  2. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

Walking pace is natural for us as we’ve so many players who can’t run. Our back 4 yesterday were so slow and add Jorginho into that and you’ve got 5 players without any pace. We’ve no chance in pressing high because our defence has got to sit so far back so they can’t run in behind, which still happened a few times.

I can’t quite believe how badly we signed in the summer. Cucurella at 60M is outrageous, I can’t work out what he’s good at. I, like many others thought Koulibaly was good value at 30 odd million but my word, he’s like Winston Bogarde.

I think we’re easy to play against because nobody runs in behind. Or if they do, we haven’t got anyone in the midfield who can see the run.

We’ll finish about 10th this season, clearly a season of rebuilding, although we’ve been saying that for how long? But it’s time to move people on, Jorginho is out of contract end of the season so let’s stop playing him and put someone in there who might be with us in 2-3 seasons time. Same with Azpilicueta, Koulibaly, Aubameyang, Ziyech and the rest. Play some of the kids, we won’t go down but we’re miles away from the top 4 I think we need to reassess the approach.

3. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I think you guys have pretty much nailed it. Predicable tactics, no pace, too many over the hill players and we, again, bought badly in the summer, though some of that is hindsight of course.
    We needed a striker, and a 33 year old Aubameyang just isn't cutting it. I was hoping he might just have enough in the tank to see us through just this season, but evidently not.
    Joao Felix might be available on loan, and I know his record isnt stellar, but we have to try something, and getting him on loan until the end of the season, might be worth a punt, as it is just a loan deal, it would give us another option at least.
    Havertz has flashes of brilliance but he is so easily marked out of the game, and if teams do this effectively, they basically nullify our attacking play and end our goal threat.
    Pulisic just isnt the player the yank fans want him to be, and he never will be from what I have seen.
    Mount, I think there is talent there, but with such a static forward line, and no pace in our attackers, we will never get the best out of him. And lets be real, I think, although he is above average, he, like Pulisic, isnt the player we all hoped he would end up being (ie the next Lampard).

Cucurella looks a bust, especially for the price we paid.
    And sacking Tuchel looks like a massive mistake at the moment, I can't see us being in a worse position had he stayed. Potter just doesnt have the minerals at this level. There are some great mid level managers that just don't make the step up effectively, like Moyes when he went to United. We have to give Potter until the end of the season now, little point changing anything at this stage, who is available? And I think any top 4 hopes are a pipe dream at this stage.
    We got a better shot at getting into the CL by winning it than we have by qualifying via our league position at this stage.

In the summer though, we NEED a quality CB, we also need a striker and another forward player, both with pace and some dynamism.

We might qualify for Europe if we pick up, but we aint getting into the top 4 now imo, so its either win the CL or its the Europa Conference for us next season.
    Sorry to be a downer, but thats the situation as I see it.
    Happy new year folks :p

4. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

I Hope the reports of signing Fernandez for 120 mill are bollocks, that would be insane at least double what we should be paying. He's totally unproven and has only played a handful of games at top level. Still, wouldn't put it past Boehly. Rice at less than 100 would be a much better buy, he is the business at PL level and also for England.Then there's Bellingham , again proven and a known quality player. Surely we learned about overpaying for underperformers last time ?? Lets not go there again.

5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Chelsea vs City.

Some lovely, free flowing football from Chelsea in that first half.

Only problem is you never looked like scoring, even with the chances you were creating. You need a proper CF.

Then City start playing in the second half and yeh they scored, but I reckon if you had a decent CF you wouldn't have lost.

The football was a lot better though.

Diego and Bodinki like this.
  6. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Indeed, it was the same story when we played Arsenal.
    We have no pace or dynamism up front, we are so easy to defend against.
    City havent been great lately either, so this would have been a good opportunity to get a result, but we cannot score for ****.

Diego likes this.
  7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

What got me wondering is that I don't think you would've moved the ball as well and created those chances if Sterling had be playing. But at the same time, he would've probably been the one to nick a goal.

You definitely need a CF. So do we btw, but we seem to be picking up goals from others.

Diego likes this.
  8. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Aye, we have the fourth best defensive record in the league, we aint shipping left and right, we just keep losing 1-0.
    ****ing Leeds have scored more league goals than us this season....shocking.

Diego likes this.
  9. Naas Blue

Naas Blue Well-Known Member

In fairness,Boehly is talking to the rest of the consortium and they are all coming to the same conclusion. What the f..k have we bought !! If this was during Roman's reign, G.P. would have been gone already. I think if Fulham beat us next league game, he's gone. Just for the record i hope that is not what happens. I hope they stick with him. I think there is something there, but it's (as Fergie used to say) squeaky bum time !!!

10. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

Has to be time to play Lewis Hall over Cucurella surely. James and Chilwell offer so much going forward and I think he’s the next best we’ve got. We need somebody similar on the other side for when James can’t play. We need to see more of Chukwemeka too, he looks really good. I also think Gallagher needs a bigger role, we’re a bit too nice as a team and he doesn’t mind getting in peoples face and just being annoying, we haven’t had that for ages.

That was something to look forward to last night though, no Jorginho, no Aubameyang (until we had to) and it just had a bit more pace and energy. Swap out the full backs for Chilwell/Hall and James and I don’t think it’s a bad side, minus the striker.

Bullet tooth Tony likes this.

11. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Yes we are a top 4 side with Reece James and Kante fit, but they never are

And we've needed a top striker for years

Potter got shafted with TT's last purchase Auba