1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Salford cup match

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Zenfootball2, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

so a game that has banana skin written all over it and as we know town are struggling with form and consistency.
    in sharp contrast Salford have played 19 games won 11 , drawn 6 and lost 2
    Salford have an unbeaten 16 game run and realistically will feel confident , we may see some well know former united stars as.
    Salford City Football Club is wholly owned by Project 92 Limited of whom the significant shareholders are Nicholas Butt, Ryan Giggs, Peter Lim, Gary Neville, Philip Neville & Paul Scholes."

an interview on the clubs website

" danny Whitehead says he is looking forward to Sunday’s Emirates FA Cup tie at Shrewsbury Town, and coming up against his former manager.
    The Salford midfielder arrived from Macclesfield Town in the summer after winning The National League under John Askey, who replaced Paul Hurst at the League One side.
    At 18th in SkyBet League One table, Shrewsbury will be the highest-placed side The Ammies have ever faced competitively.
    However the 25-year-old says that the National League side, unbeaten in 16 league games, won’t be feeling any pressure.
    “I think being the underdog might work in our favour because the pressure is off us, whereas I know Shrewsbury have been struggling recently so I think all the pressure’s on them.
    For us going into the game we can just relax and play our own game."

he is right they can relax they have nothing to lose and everything to gain, Town have not got the best record against smaller clubs, you would hope that Askey will know all about them and get the team fully up to speed and prepared. we just cant afford a sluggish start and we really must not concede the first goal , how this game goes will depend on which town team turns up .

Matster and greenhousmeadowman like this.
  2. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

Good post Zen. I think we will see a strong Town side and we should win, The slow starts have generally been in away games and Askey should know all about Salford and standard of their players. I am looking forward to a decent game and a bit of positivity after all the goings on in the last few weeks. By the way this is a ridiculous time for the game - give me 3 p.m. on a Saturday anytime - the clash with Remembrance Sunday will cost the club more on the gate than the paltry sum they get from the FA Cup goals show.

Matster and Zenfootball2 like this.
  3. Zenfootball2

i agree about the time clearly a prime time tv slot is more important

4. Zenfootball2

went on the salford fans forum, they seem more interested in the team not wearing there red kit and the clash of the united v city derby, which they seem to think may have an impact on the attendance .

5. Zenfootball2

at least we did not lose but we were very poor in the second half

6. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

You would find it difficult to say which was the non-league side on that showing - I thought Salford played the better football if anything and the result could have gone either way. Waterfall defended well and Emmanuel (despite some mistakes) did get up the wing and put in a lot of crosses. Our starting front two were really poor today - they put two slow centre-halves under no pressure whatsoever. Angol is so clearly our most talented forward it is a complete mystery to me why he is not starting at least in the home games. We were so slow and predictable in the second half until late on when we finally found some urgency. I thought the subs were too late and it would have been nice to see some pace on the left from Eisa or Gillihead. Quite a few in The South Stand were shouting Askey out at the end and we are probably only one more poor performance away from them getting their wish. I cannot see us winning the replay but would like to be pleasantly surprised and at least it may be televised. I salute the away fans who go to watch this team every chance they can - we deserve more professionalism and commitment than the players are showing at the moment.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  7. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Surprised Eisa didn't get on, really would like to see him get some game time as he is a lively player.

Result was predicable and the calls for Askey out at the end of the match will not help confidence. I'm guessing we might see some changes happening very soon.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  8. Zenfootball2

Ferjiri was up against a man mountain he needs the ball on the ground or in space to run into , what he got was mainly high balls against a defender over twice his size and a foot taller, he still managed to get an asst for the goal.town looked second best for most of the game yet another match were most of the players did not turn up. about 70 minutes in to the game Salford made a number of subs , a number of forwards went off and were content to hit town on the break and sit back. Askey missed the chance to put on a pacey winger on but putting Lewis on the 90 minute was just bizarre.
    the ref was dreadful . very poor defending led to Salford scoring after an amazing save.

9. Zenfootball2

i dont like fans booing but that with a prolonged and vocal chant for Askey out will not help a team who are clearly low on confidence , prior to the game Salford were bookies favourites and they will be very confident of a home win after htat dire performance ,as they have nothing to fear and looked the better team.