1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints vs Watford 09/09/2017 3PM KO

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Sep 4, 2017.

1. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

Well yes, between there of them there's just isn't enough creativity to fuel our attack and too much burden is placed on Tadić/Redmond. Something has to give.

2. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Well-Known Member

You won't be saying that when he scores a hat trick on Saturday?

3. Saint Sosa

Saint Sosa Well-Known Member

I'll get a full Steven Davis portrait tattood on my back.

4. Saint Sosa

Tadic in this form (for the last year +) and Redmond is by far the worst attack we've had since we've been back in the Prem as well. I feel sorry for Gabbiadini to be honest.

5. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

I remember Tadic being this bad the times he played on the right under Koeman too.

st_brendy and OddRiverOakWizards like this.
  6. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

We scored plenty of goals under Pochettino & Koeman with Davis playing the advanced midfielder or CAM role ahead of Morgan/Victor et al.

If we have a functioning front three like we had under those two managers then we could be in business.
    I think a solid and unspectacular base is often overlooked by supporters. Chelsea often played only three out and out creative/attacking players last season compared to Liverpool/Arsenal/Man City but still measured up on goals scored, because the creative players didn't have to be too concerned with defending

VocalMinority likes this.
  7. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

8. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

It was never meant to be an argument winner, as I did not realise I was expected to justify my opinion! I personally think that Davis works better in a 4-3-3 and this would get more out of our side. The alternative is to play a 4-2-3-1 with Lemina further forward as he has shown more attacking intent than Davis, whom I have never seen as an attacking player. What he does do is start a lot of attacks and he does distribute the ball well and has a high number of passes per game. I don't think he is comparable to the defensive players either, here Romeu is the one we require. Davis is not an attacking or defensive midfielder he is a middle of the park player that acts as a playmaker in my opinion :)!

Archers Road likes this.
  9. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

A Midfielder who reads the game well enough to do a match saving clearance in our last game. He is not the problem.

10. Saint Sosa

Wasn't aimed at you specifically, though I appreciate that I did quote you. It's just a point I've seen mentioned numerous times before.

Lemina isn't an advanced midfielder, he's a similar kind of midfielder to Morgan. He's a great partner for Romeu. We need Davis (or whoever plays the 3rd midfielder) to do more than just 'start' attacks, they should be instrumental in them. We have Romeu & Lemina who are more than capable of winning the ball, retaining it and starting attacks. Of course Davis has a high number of passes a game, and a high completion rate. That's the problem with him in the team at the moment, we need someone in there to make things happen, which means they're going to lose the ball often (hello, Mr Boufal).

11. Saint Sosa

What does that have to do with our lack of quality in the final 3rd?

12. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  13. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

14. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are filled with a passionate intensity."

shoot_spiderman likes this.
  15. Saint Sosa

Nice quote. Someone doesn't pick up on sarcasm... should I have put it in blue text for you to understand?

16. SotonOldBoy

SotonOldBoy Well-Known Member

B
    Broke his pencil

fatletiss likes this.
  17. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Liam's argument on steven Davis was pretty fair. I think he let himself down a bit when he mentioned that he hoped Gaston would got rid of him from the team. I say this because Davis was excellent for us for a few seasons ad when he didn't play, it seemed we didn't play. Those first two or theee seasons his one touch play in and around the box was superb (I always think of Jay rod or Rickie (?) v Chelsea).

I do now think that he is offering less to us, but I jut believe that too many here are black and white in their view of Davis. Davis isn't crap nor fantastic anymore. Several different managers have stuck by him and I'd guess that's for a reason. When we had Morgan and Vic (call them Oriol and Mario, eh) Davis still played often and well.

I think he gave something that a lot of fans either couldn't see or couldn't describe if they think they see it. Ideally we'd have an upgrade on him now because he is at the tail end of his career, but if not a starter he's still a valuable squad player.

One thing I'd throw in as an option to try now is JWP at 10. Ok he's finishing isn't top notch, but I always recall that first win at Old Trafford with JWP excellent playing as a no.10 mainly to stop Carrick, but also linking with the forwards well.

Saint Sosa likes this.
  18. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I really would like to see JWP as one of the first names on the team sheet. I thought he developed really well last season and want to see that momentum continue. Depressed me seeing him on the bench in the last couple of games.

19. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Pub Saturday.?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Of course! (Guide Dog or Farmhouse?)