1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints Vs Brighton – Sunday 14th March 12.00pm, BBC1

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Lambertissier, Mar 11, 2021.

1. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I think this is at least a big part of the problem. I’m not exonerating Ralph from his share of the responsibility for what’s happening, but the team has definitely lost its cohesion and togetherness which was evident to all at the end of last season and the first half of this. You’re right, maybe James isn’t the right person to lead them out of this slump, and like you, he’s one of my favourite Saints too.

The question is, how has this happened? How has the squad which performed so well for the whole of 2020 become so abjectly terrible in 2021? I suspect we’ll never know, but it could be something as simple as Danny’s contract situation. Or is that an effect, rather than a cause?

2. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's just one reason but a combination of events or non-events bringing the team and individual performances down. Nothing as easy as being a armchair analyst, I'm sure the club is working on the physical and mental aspects let's hope they find the key to turning it around. As my ADO Den Haag supporting mates say "it's still our team".

3. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I've been saying that maybe it's time for a new captain for a while and I sense leadership qualities in Big Vester or maybe Oriol when he returns, it's worth a try.

4. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

Perhaps, yeah. JWP is a 'leads by example' type of captain, and whilst having its merits, maybe Romeu and his type of fighting quality would shift things. Who knows.

I've dipped out a bit lately, but from what I saw of the Brighton game, we looked knackered, bereft of confidence, and lacking that fighting front foot edge that we need for our game. Injuries aside, I think that Danny's form (and Redmond for that matter) have contributed to our demise. Redmond with form can be real handful. Haven't seen it this season. I suspect the contract situation has effected Danny, or perhaps Covid as some have suggested. Either way its a real shame, as we were looking to be a spoiler team for the season at one point.

StJabbo1 likes this.
  5. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

My thoughts on performance being so different is that it is many things.
    Small squad reducing effective rotation of players, tiredness because of the lack of rotation, injuries to several key players when they were playing well, poor quality back up players and the system we play.
    I have said before, if the outfield players are all at 7/10 we are very good, but if 2 or 3 are at 6/10 or less, the system doesn’t work, and it’s because of this that I think we need better first choice players who can adapt and be effective when the system fails and we need to improvise.

6. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I see that Ralph has also said that our subs were making us worse.

It's not the first time that Ralph sees what I see. I'm not in any doubt that he's the right man for us anyway - but it does just reinforce it, when he comes out and says things like that. Proves that we're on the same page. The last thing you want in a manager is them coming out with statements which make you scratch your head or wonder if they've even been watching the same game.

7. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Sometimes the answers simple
    We need some better players
    I’m not having a go at any individuals as such but as a group we are not as good as we need to be

We need to be able to start with someone who contributes more than Redders and bring on better subs than N’Lundulu Watts Chauke, youth players will struggle when you’re not playing well
    We need to be able to cope with 3 injuries
    We need a squad where 1 injury in a few positions doesn’t result in us playing people out of position

We don’t need to change our manager or captain

COYR