1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints v Wolves - Wed. 23 Aug @ 19:45 - EFL Cup

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by jonny 'hasen' shuttle, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

I've just watched them and simply can't see what you're seeing. First one hard low header that he would never have got to. Second one, two attackers v six defenders, he came out quickly and was chipped.

I think Fraser is heading for being this season's go-to blame player. If I recall some people were deeply critical of him on Saturday as well.

Vin

Saints Fan4Life likes this.
  2. latviandream

latviandream Well-Known Member

Trouble is Vin that he was statistically the worst keeper in the PL last year in terms of save % of shots on target, so at some point he needs that ratio as well as other parts of his game to improve. Not every fan will keep backing him if there's little evidence he's improving.

Problem is, he had a serious injury and we all hoped that last season was linked to lack of fitness and he'd bounce back eventually, but different people are prepared to wait different lengths of time.

3. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Yep, my mate is not a Fraser fan at all and I normally have to stand up for him. However, the last two games he has said that Fraser couldn't do anything about the goals and actually stood up for him.

On Saturday, he did his part by saving the initial shots (the second one in particular was excellent), and yesterday he was let down by a poor defence. For the first goal, we have 3 centre backs on the pitch and we still give them a free header.

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Some fans can't grasp that sometimes keepers are at fault and sometimes they aren't. For them, every goal is Forster's fault. The strange thing is that some were quick to point out a couple of seasons ago that the clean sheets weren't down to Fraser but to the defence, so perhaps the defence needs some blame here if they are going to get the plaudits.

5. thereisonlyoneno7

Ok so we are out of the EFL Cup. I am disappointed and we now know that 3 at the back doesn't work, we have no creativity in the midfield and Fraser is crap.

However, what I am going to do is this (feel free to join me):

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

...and move on. Onwards and upwards. COYS!!!!!

6. TheSofaSaint

TheSofaSaint Active Member

Well that's what I saw last night, but you forgot about the no exhistant goal threat.

First half the link up between Boufal and McQueen looked good though.

My concern with FF is in games where he doesn't need to do much for most of the game, it feels like he concedes next to every shot on target.

7. Onionman

I agree about last year, however, I thought he had a good game on Saturday (brilliant reflex save early on, saved a deflection then a reflex save onto the bar, irrespective of what happened a second later) and, while I can't comment on the whole game last night, I didn't see anything untoward re the goals.

On that basis I think the hatred (and near me at matches it is hatred) is based on past perception rather than current performance. Unfortunately, fans' preconceptions seem to have the turning circle of a supertanker.

We'll see, I guess.

Vin

davecg69 likes this.
  8. fran-MLs little camera

As fans, that's all we can do. I'm just glad that wasn't a League game....now if it had been on Saturday<steam><grr>:mad::emoticon-0121-angry And even then we'd just dust ourselves off and move on.

9. fran-MLs little camera

No one has mentioned what changing the defence does to the keeper....it must put uncertainty into his mind when the usual players aren't there.

10. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

The worry will be if tonight's performance and those at the tail end of last season continue into the autumn, and mirrored in a lack of goals, energy, creativity and so on. Then gates could plunge well below the 30,000 level when playing the likes of Watford, WBA, Stoke and Burnley.

11. Onionman

The great thing will be if tonight's performance and those at the tail end of last season are put behind us into the autumn, and turn into a flood of goals, energy, creativity and so on. Then gates could soar well above the 31,000 level even when playing the likes of Watford, WBA, Stoke and Burnley.

Vin

12. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Reading between the lines and interpreting the comments it seems as if the side has been stagnating for the past few months. Can see one or two players being shipped out on loan, or even departing, and one or two arriving. That may freshen up the squad!!

manxsaint and Onionman like this.
  13. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Wesley coming in should help. Plus the fact MP2 will realise that three at the back isn't the one.

I also feel confident we'll get an ACM in by close of window.

14. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Of course. Which is why in those circumstances, the best keepers make ever greater efforts to impose their will on the defence in front of them, and take full control and responsibility for commanding their area. It's not reasonable nor rational, for one man to take on responsibilty for so many things beyond his control, but it's what the best keepers do.

15. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I decided to go to the game last night. I also left early for only the second time in my life, as we were not just ****, but didn't look like we really cared that we were ****. Also it was a school night, so I'm letting myself off being a fair weather fan.

Anyway, the game....in summary.
    MP2 - The formation didn't work, and it took far too long to make changes...however if you are going to experiment, that's the place to do it, and you've got to give it a proper chance to work. He did, and it didn't, so fair enough. Hopefully we won't see it again... with the same personnel anyway!

The Team - Nobody played well, a few played ok, most played really really badly. The worst thing for me though, is that they didn't seem to really care. There was little to no urgency, even when we went behind, we sort of vaguely picked it up for a couple of minutes and then reverted back. I don't think the system suited them either, but I thought Bednarek and Pied really looked out of their depth, whereas players like JWP, Tadic, Yoshi and Stephens just played really badly. Boufal was poor too, and yet in the first half he was the only player that was playing incisive passes, getting McQueen in down the left side multiple times. I don't think it's really possible to rate our strikers as we are so inept at getting the ball to them.

Looking forward - It's frustrating having an excellent striker in Gabbi, and a good goal scorer in Austin and not playing to either of their strengths. We have a lot of goals in those two, and yet we rarely look dangerous. Theres going to be a lot of pressure on this attacking player that we are hopefully bringing in.
    With a more solid base than we had today, I still feel like we are not that far away from being a really good team and being closer to the top teams than the bottom. Forster, Bertrand, Hoedt, Stephens (or VVD), Cedric with Lemina and Romeu in front is arguably/potentially as strong as we've ever had. It's getting the right combination/formation/application in front that is proving to be the difficult bit!

16. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

I think you are reading far more into what I actually said than what I meant, he has already proved he can score goals and I did say he wasn't getting the service that he deserves, so either we get a decent play maker or a striker to go with him that he can play off?

17. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Good post, you made a good point, how often have Austin and Gabbi been on the pitch at same time?

18. thereisonlyoneno7

Yep even though I said previously I was drawing a line under this, it was a cup game, we were chasing it and Austin came off and Gabbi went on. Weird.

19. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

So we lost and now everything's **** again, right?

20. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

What school do you go to? Its August FFS.