1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints v Wolves Sunday ❤26th September❤ K.O. 14.00

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by San Tejón, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Who would you play instead? Diallo is our only other CM and he is on the defensive side as well.

2. Itchen Masack

Itchen Masack Well-Known Member

I would play one of the other non-defensive midfielders in the centre.

Much as we love JWP, and great as he us at free kicks, he is a defensive midfielder.

3. Saintmagic

So like Redmond at CM?

4. Itchen Masack

If necessary.

I'm not talking every match, but in these ones where the opposition doesn't attack us in numbers.

5. Itchen Masack

Suspect Elyounoussi would like to play there

6. Saintmagic

It’s a tough one, teams might set up not to attack us but if we are only playing one defensive midfielder then that might change pretty quickly. It’s not like we are City/Chelsea and they will still fear us with just one DM

7. Itchen Masack

It is a tough one, but something has to change. Today was awful from both teams and we can't carry on or it will be too late.

8. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

After one bad game?

9. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Well, my second home game in 8 years after WHU. Thoughts:
    1. The band we in much better tune than the last game;
    2. Armstrong was very neat and tidy with his play. Not overally effective on the result, but encouraging;
    3. Che Adams will never achieve double figures in a season goal scoring in the EPL. He never takes a 50/50 chance, but gives 100% for effort, suppose that means something;
    4. JWP still looks off his game;
    5. Centre back distribution was woeful today;
    6. Bedders was so poor today, l have never written that before;
    7. Ely and Redders matched my low expectations once again, Redders in particular;
    8. Sending on Long was completely bizarre, someone should make RH take a drugs test;
    9. Our options for attacking midfield and strikers are, at best, Championship level;
    10. Wolves are ****e and we proved today we are worse than them.

Last, but not least, the Blue Star No. 4 failed to turn up to take me home. A good day? No ****ing way!

10. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Apart from when he, y'know, changed the formation in the last premier league game we played.

ChilcoSaint and Saintmagic like this.

11. Itchen Masack

I can still remember previous season(s) of passing the ball along the back line, back and forth, then punting it forward.

Today was a bad reminder of those inept days and I don't wish to return.

12. Le Tissier's Laces

See I disagree completely about Redders today. I thought he was unlucky to be substituted, particularly ahead of Alien Lucy, who was pretty awful. At least Redders was turning and running forwards, and providing an attacking threat. Lucy has put on some strength and bulk, perhaps by doing runs carrying a heavy backpack. Sadly he still looks like he's carrying said heavy backpack when he runs during the game too.

That was a game you could have played three of, and it would still be 0-1 at the end. To be honest, they threatened even less than we did (2 on target, and one of those being the last minute breakaway style), but a moment of magic (and some iffy defending) from Jimenez was the difference. I'm pleased for the lad - he's a class player and had a really tough break.

It's clear our strikers aren't firing yet. Armstrong looks like what his stats were telling us before we bought him - he'll shoot from anywhere, it's just that'll produce less goals than in the Championship.

Adams sadly looks pretty one paced, and like he's destined to be an okay PL player. No more than that. I think Ralph brought Long on as he realised Wolves were sitting deep, so we needed to go long ball, and he could at least do something in the air (which Tella wouldn't, and also wouldn't have had space to run into).

Disappointing, particularly as we'll have to do something very special to get anything from Chelsea next game. A disaster? No, not at all. As I said pre game, it's the run of games after the Chelsea match that are the important ones.

Velcro Roy and AberdeenSaint like this.
  13. Romsey_Saint

We can disagree on Redders as a matter of a opinion but to state today was not a disaster l cannot reconcile.

14. Le Tissier's Laces

Disappointment, yes, of course. How is it a disaster?

15. Saintmagic

Changing formation/style against Man City away is just obvious though. There’s only one idiot manager in the PL who wouldn’t change for that one

16. Le Tissier's Laces

So it's not "the only thing Ralph knows"...(along with the fact we changed formation today as well during the game on more than one occasion).

17. Bill Hill

Bill Hill Well-Known Member

KWP can't cross with his left foot which wolves knew and invited him to go outside while waiting for him to cut inside where they smothered it.

He is wasted at LB. He has to play RB and then find a spot for Tino at right midfiled.

We are not good enough to afford to play our best players out of position

18. Romsey_Saint

I do not think losing to a team such a Wolves at home in the EPL when points are hard enough to collect can in anyway be construed as anything positive.

LincolnSaint likes this.
  19. LincolnSaint

LincolnSaint Well-Known Member

So glad I wasted today watching that dross. Genuinely one of the most turgid games I've seen.

There is absolutely no one in the team put out today with a footballing brain. There was no spark, no creativity. Every time we got into the final third we slowed it down. Passing it sideways across the box or trying to put a through ball to the by line, no one trying to beat a defender, just sideways pass after sideways pass. It was only when Djenepo came on did someone at least try and take them on.

Adams, Ely, Redmond and Armstrong simply aren't good enough, and unfortunately Romeu and JWP were ****e and couldn't carry them today.

It's games like this where the class of players like Ings were desperately needed, and we've got Adams and Armstrong who won't get 10 goals between them this season. Sorry to say it, but we're pretty ****ed.

Special shout out to the ref for ignoring Wolves time wasting. The standard of refs in this country is pathetic. Although we could still be playing and wouldn't have scored with this dross. Really really poor today.

garysfc and timatoketchup like this.
  20. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

A goal to celebrate would be nice. Other than that, meh. Nothing to say. Except bollocks to football, obviously.

Probably win at the Bridge now, then lose at home to Leeds and Burnley

UTFS