1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints v Wolves Sunday ❤26th September❤ K.O. 14.00

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by San Tejón, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Yeah the dummies and them committing you can sort of forgive, getting rolled the way he did by the striker from a long punt I’d be livid if a centre back I played with did that let alone a PL player

Saints_Alive likes this.
  2. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

It was shoddy from Bednarek, but let’s face it, our defence has papered over the cracks big time this season so far. I’m not gonna blame them.

garysfc and Saints_Alive like this.
  3. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

We are worryingly reliant on an injury prone Stu for any sort of attacking threat. Not much we can do about that while he is still out injured though, so having created a grand total of FA in the past 3 or so games, any sane person would try a different combination of 'attackers'. KWP at RB, Tino in front of him. Perraud LB and Tella/Djenepo in front of him. Shouldn't affect our defensive 'solidity'. Play Djenepo in the games we are likely to be under the cosh and give Tella a go in games like today where we need to be winning. Maybe we won't be any better. But it's worth a try rather than the same old 'attacking' options that neither create, nor carry any attacking threat themselves.

4. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Bloody cheek. :emoticon-0172-mooni

I missed the first half, then liked what I saw with us creating half chances second half, up until we left the back door unlocked, after which we lost our forward momentum.
    Defensively I thought we had got over that type of error, but clearly not.

The final ball still remains the biggest problem, all too often hitting the first defender with crosses, picking the wrong option, or over/under hitting the pass allowing defenders to pick up the lose ball.
    I would have liked to have got our first league win on the board, but someone else will have to do that.
    I will retire back to the bar/pool/sun, happy in the knowledge that we picked up 4 draws against teams that usually beat us, and a record away win score line, in my run of match day threads.

Hasta luego

5. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well that was ****ing dire. Their 3 CB's just completely snuffed us out with complete ease. First game where we have been **** from start to finish. Could have played all day and we still wouldn't have scored.

6. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Midfield three of Rom - JWP - Diallo, front three of Armstrong - Che - Tella. Would allow JWP to play further forward. Also, notice the absence of Elyou, Redmond and Djenepo.

This 4-2-2-2 pressing thing just isn’t working.

Osvaldorama and Dark Lord SFC like this.
  7. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Its the only thing Ralph knows though so can’t see him changing the formation.

8. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

What a poor performance in general. Just got back; no usual couple pints to “analyse” the game on way home. Just read the match comments on here; about 3 pages only; about sums everything up. Wolves were very poor in 1st half & we were marginally worse. We came out better but boy; our attacking mid content is ****e. Someone else said about waiting for the injured messiah…. Ely, Dj, Red, so so poor. Adam’s & Armstrong look lost. And Ralph brings on Long! Might have deserved a 0-0 but can’t begrudge Wolves the 3pts apart from their incessant time wasting from ko. The point gained vs MC has now been lost. Point vs Chelsea & another home loss vs Leeds? Think we really are a bottom 6 side at moment. Can Ralph change …. ?

LincolnSaint likes this.
  9. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

If you think we are bad, anyone watching Spurs?

10. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

It's an excellent point Ronnie makes about currently lacking a Lallana/Tadic type of player. Mo El, Djenepo and Redders all seem to play in their own little bubble with no understanding of what is around them and they frequently make the wrong decision with the ball. If it is true that they are favoured because of the defensive side then we are always going to be lacking that cutting edge moving forward.
    I'm not convinced that Mo El will ever cut it in the PL but Redders and Djenepo certainly have the ability on their day but it appears those days are few and far between.

11. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well on the plus side Spurs are even ****ter today.

12. Saints_Alive

Yep, it's certainly cheering me up...:grin:

13. Saints_Alive

We want 10!

14. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Please Spurs sack your manager and take ours.

15. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

What, so someone else can come in and then half our team just not be good enough to play at this level?

I just don't see any manager out there that could get much from some of the crap we have

16. Saint Elsewhere

Saint Elsewhere Well-Known Member

Our creative endeavour seems to amount to little more than having a diddle about at the back for a while, then a hopeful ball forward. It's not hard to read.

We almost matched Wolves ****ness today, but then we slightly out-****ted them. Very disappointing.

17. Che’s Godlike Thighs

See I’m personally of the viewpoint that our squad is better than the points/performances.

21 points from 33 games since Jan 1st.

Just because neither you or I - expert manager scouts though we are - know of any better managers, I’m pretty sure they exist. I’d take Howe.

18. Jos Say No

Jos Say No Well-Known Member

Absolutely, first mistake was Bedders spending more time trying to pull Jiminez down rather than stay with him on a challenge, second error was Salisu diving in and hitting the deck rather than standing up against him. Not to take away the good work from Jiminez, but it wasn’t a worldie of his own doing.

We were great at shooting at the keeper today too, that didn’t help us.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  19. Brinkworth Saint

Brinkworth Saint Well-Known Member

This type of performance is, regrettably, likely until we get everyone settled down. You can't expect to lose the quality we have and instantly find the equal of or nearly as good as etc. You're right, it's not a bad team, very much work in progress and we as Saints fans, the real ones, know that, even though it's hard to watch and take sometimes.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  20. Itchen Masack

Itchen Masack Well-Known Member

Honestly think when we're not playing the top teams we shouldn't play both JWP and Romeu in the middle.

I love both of them, but they are both unlikely to get an attack started. This puts huge pressure on Redmond, Djenepo, Elyounoussi etc down the sides and they're not exactly setting the world alight.

Our plan A seemed to be a longish ball for the front 2 to run onto, which Wolves lapped up. There was no plan B.