1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints v West Ham - K.O. 3pm Saturday 19th August

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by jonny 'hasen' shuttle, Aug 15, 2017.

1. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

My mum (now 80) is the Geoffrey Boycott of football commentators. She has no idea how a professional footballer can miss a penalty. I remember her shouting at Mick Jones in the 1972 cup final to "get up you big baby there's nothing wrong with you!" Carrying on the family tradition - why can't Stevo or Cedric kick a ball hard towards the goal?

2. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

The team didn't really get what gabbi was trying to do at times. Numerous times at corners or when Cedric hit the byline he would peel back unmarked while everyone ran to the 6yd box, waiting for the predictable cross. Redmond does this too, just not yesterday.

Gabbiadini was often between the cb 's and looked unavailable, I think he was trying to create space in the channels. Just my opinion.

fatletiss likes this.
  3. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

It's documented Shilton did that in one of the World Cups. Against a reasonable penalty taker, the keeper has no chance to react.

4. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

There are now only 8 unbeaten teams in the Premiership

5. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Tadic came here as a known penalty taker with James as second choice....the stress of scoring for Saints has destroyed the poor man. Not his fault that he isn't Le Tiss or Sir Rickie....we are used to nailed on penalties so we used to sit down smug as soon as one was awarded. Tadic is greeted with 30,000 people sucking their teeth as he approaches the spot. He went for power which worked despite hitting the GK's foot, but still he fails to impress us penalty cognoscenti. Poor bugger. :)

AshbySaint, fatletiss and manxsaint like this.
  6. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

All Jacks fault. KUMB

Ok, I'm going against the grain a little here. It was really bloody stupid, but all he did is lead with his elbow, and on the replays, watch the Southampton player lean the side of his bonce in to his arm. He went down like a sack of spuds as soon as the first contact was made.

Yes, our boy was stupid, but the Southampton player made a right meal of it, and in full speed it looks really nasty. In slow-mo, it's bugger all - let alone all this over reaction using words like attack, assault etc.

red card, yeah, probably, but it's nowhere near as bad as it's been made out, and I ain't going to string him up for it.

About time we had a bit of a nut-case on our team rather than meek little wimps...

<laugh> Got to laugh.....

7. fran-MLs little camera

Jack didn't see it coming (who did) and that 'leaning in' as the KUMB idiot mentioned is what happens if someone tries to decapitate you. The incident happened at normal speed....in slo-mo you see the effect of inertia...there is a brief delay before the head catches up. Also known as whiplash.

VocalMinority and davecg69 like this.
  8. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

9. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think the best bit is the full speed line. Because, you know, full speed is the actual speed.

Saint Helen likes this.
  10. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Yep. Felt angered when I saw it back. Jack never shows a dirty side, and certainly never provoked that attack. I'm waiting for his apology.

11. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Stay cool Charlie :emoticon-0103-cool:

12. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Just as well it wasn't Fats. I've seen him miss many a 4 footer ..... :emoticon-0105-wink:

13. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

Is Austin saying his putt put Hammers fans into a riot? >snigger<

14. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Isn't it "plastic it" now? Boots and ball.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  15. fatletiss

I was laying up, you cheeky git! <laugh>

davecg69 likes this.
  16. fatletiss

Both classic signs of a very good striker. Get between defenders so they don't know which one should mark you.

17. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Finally watched the game. Not the ugly win I was expecting. First half we were disjointed but reasonably effective. Loved Gabbi's goal coming so soon after an exact same opportunity for the hammers. Antonio's shot was bloody good, no room to turn so to rifle a shot off like that was impressive and Chicarito just has that habit of popping up. Twice. In the second half we were caught between two stools not knowing whether to go for the win or sit back and see what they had.

Surprised at the amount of niggle and ill feeling in the game. The ref's decisions determined the outcome. Not sure Tadic was a sending off offence. If he'd connected with the high boot I'm sure he would have gone but he didnt. Arnautovic will hopefully get a decent ban for that. That was a really nasty attack on an unprepared Jack. Quite shocking in the replay.

18. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

I hope I never get so tribal that I make excuses for one of our players who did something similar. Disgraceful behaviour.

Saint Helen likes this.
  19. fran-MLs little camera

And completely stupid....what was he thinking? Running across the front of Jack would have limited his options....no need to scythe him down.

20. fran-MLs little camera

Austin said that MP2 told him to go get the winner and he was delighted as a striker to hear that as it meant that Saints were going to play an attacking game.