1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints v WBA Saturday 21st October 17:30 ko - goals galore thread.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Oct 17, 2017.

1. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

With the emphasis on waiting!!

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

We got a draw and a win after subs scored....yet MP2 gets criticised for not playing those players from the beginning. People forget that those players have started games without being so effective....sometimes you need to mix things up. I am not a fully signed up member of the Mauricio fan club, but I have to defend him from criticism suggesting he s always wrong. We may not look scintillating, but, as under Puel, we are creating chances....the manager can't score the goals himself.

I rarely (if ever) watch MOTD all the way through, but I too managed the whole programme last night....even staying up to watch West Ham lose (bonus).

3. steve79

steve79 Well-Known Member

Good point :emoticon-0148-yes:

fatletiss likes this.
  4. fran-MLs little camera

Anyone else think that Mauricio will have had a little word in Boufal's shell-like....great goal, but, if you disrespect me in public again, your feet won't touch the ground.

manxsaint and Lambertissier like this.
  5. St.Kreuzberg

St.Kreuzberg Active Member

Nope not at all, doesn't have the balls.

6. Le Saint

Le Saint Well-Known Member

Generally agree but there is no way you can say Boufal has had a fair amount of game time and there are many of us who have been questioning this for a long time. There’s no way Boufal is going to score goals like that every match but the point is he is capable of it and such skill is often the difference in coming out of such games with a win. There is no way Tadic, Redmond, Long could score a goal like that and irrespective of starting or not, their elapsed game time v Boufal’s is a mistake. As long as MP2 now realises this and puts it right I will be happy.

Toss saints likes this.
  7. fran-MLs little camera

That isn't my impression of Mauricio. And even I wouldn't be afraid of tackling Boufal....after all, the manager can do far more to Sofiane than he could do back.

8. fran-MLs little camera

Perhaps give him more game time, but can't see him as a starter. Firing him up and using him as a sub when the game requires it may be the way forward.

9. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

Such a fine line between hero and villain.

So pleased that boufal used the skill we all know he has in a very positive way and turned match winner.

Can just see it though, that had his shot hit the post, then for all his amazing run run and creativity he would have been lynched by most supporters for not passing to Redmond.

Who would want to be a footballer eh?

manxsaint and Qwerty like this.
  10. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I don't at all hate JWP, but he needs to have an area of his game other than his dead ball delivery that is above-average to be a regular starter, to compensate for his lack of physical attributes. He can cross, but his inability to beat players down the wing lowers the value somewhat. If he can improve his passing range and shoot from distance, he could well be an attractive option playing as the advanced man in a three-man midfield, but he still has a long way to go there. And with more than four full seasons in the PL under his belt, he can't be -- and hasn't been -- force-fed starts to see if he expands his game.

11. fran-MLs little camera

Small margins, eh. Still nice to have a player that can conjure something from nothing.

12. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Taking the piss and having a moan are part of British culture, deeply embedded in all aspects of our way of life. The problem is though, that negativity breeds negativity. It may not do much harm on a website, but it permeates the ground, poisons the atmosphere, and affects the players (poor darlings). It also affects political discourse, but that's another mattet.

That's why I get pissed off with all the whinging from some of the spoilt, spineless twats who constitute a good portion of our support (not you btw, or anyone else on this forum really).

Main thing about the "Redmiss" jibe though? It's not effing funny. It's feeble, even by playground standards. Bradley "Wrong" Phillips was funny, Dave "Calamity" Jones or "Jonah" was mildly amusing. Spurs once had a midfielder called Vinnie Samways, who their fans called "Sideways", for obvious reasons. That was genuibely witty, & mildly affectionate. So if you're going to take the piss, at least be ****ing funny about it.

Libby likes this.
  13. fran-MLs little camera

14. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Fran, a player just can't be expected to perform if they're being used as a sub. He has to play and he has to play consecutive games. Football is a lot about confidence and building momentum, especially this type of "flair" player. We are crying out for a creative spark.

I can't agree with using him like this. He'll fade away if we do this.

SaintinNZ and Toss saints like this.
  15. St.Kreuzberg

St.Kreuzberg Active Member

Cool but I guess I view MP2 differently. Think he knows Soppy saved his bacon yesterday. My opinion is that he's no better than Claude and might actually be a tad worse. But hey we all see things differently :emoticon-0128-hi:

16. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

How about Red-hastalentbutoftenmakeswrongdecisionsthatcouldbecoachedoutofhimashecontinuestodevelop.

st_brendy and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  17. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I think he has the passing range. Did you see him playing for England in he U21 tournament?

As for his inability to beat a player down the wing, I can't quite recall David Beckham ever beating a man down the wing, but he was given game time and was able to deliver a cross without beating the full back.

18. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

He looked pretty chunkie; not for a bloke in the street, just for a modern athlete, who these days tend to have exactly zero body fat. Mind you, you could have said that about SRL.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  19. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

Talking of villains, Forster. To me he is not a villain but a very good goalkeeper.

He is going through a bit of a nervy time confidence wise but I would still play him. We have a great goalkeeping coach for him to work with and if the moronic jokers who jeer him ironically every time he does make a save, stopped and maybe we actually sung his name then I'm sure he will get over his current problems.

I would not drop him, he didn't have a great deal to do yesterday but his positioning when jrod was clean through was very good leaving him to rush his shot. That is seen as a bad jrod miss rather than good goalkeeping.

Anyway who would we replace him with, 9 goals conceeded. Compared to say potential England keepers hart 17, butland 20, pickford 13

I know it's not all about the goals conceeded and defences as well but I'm happy to stick with big Fras for now.

20. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Can't help feeling the op was on a wind up. Possibly Heisenberg come over for a visit from the other forum.. MP will have a word without doubt, but what he won't want to suppress is that sort of passion which has sadly been lacking over the last season.

manxsaint, fatletiss and Archers Road like this.