1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints v Toon EFL Cup S/F first leg, Tuesday 24th Jan, ko 20.00

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by San Tejón, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

Yeah those VAR rules went in our favour and they should have ****ing "stayed with the on-field decision" for our goal against Villa on Saturday.

Really we are lucky to still be in this tie. Not confident at all going up there, with their defence especially, but you never know in football. Had it been 3-1, like maybe it should have been, we'd be out.

RE Diallo - yeah he was decent breaking up play, but his passing so often puts us on the back foot and puts the defence under pressure. Is his tackling etc worth the drawbacks of his distribution?

garysfc and Osvaldorama like this.
  2. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Yeah did very well not to react. I kind of wish it was Lyanco who got sent off and he did it to just to see what would happen (although the more I watch him the more I get the impression that Lyanco is more in the Diego Costa mould in that he is always actually in control and knows exactly what he’s doing)

garysfc and Libby like this.
  3. Le Saint

Le Saint Well-Known Member

I had 2 geordies next to me. They were very well behaved and tried to hide their allegiance but it was obvious due to total lack of emotion. When we “scored” I insisted on lifting them up to cheer which fair play to them they took in good spirits. Of course var ensured that the egg landed squarely in my face. Obviously annoyed they were they - family stand ffs - but they demonstrated the proper way to do it. In complete contrast to the fight in block 35 where the guy and gal got pummelled- my mates son was literally sat next to them and did all he could to withdraw himself from the fight with people pushing over them to get involved.

4. Libby

Libby 9-0

Hopefully they get a ban, and those who kicked someone on the floor nicked.

ChilcoSaint and LincolnSaint like this.
  5. Libby

Libby 9-0

If he's in a 3 I think his poor distribution is less of an issue as there's others in the midfield who can keep the ball going.

6. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Nice to see a bit of fight in the saints fans tbh. Surprised we actually gave them a kicking. Normally everyone just sits there and accepts the abuse.

If you’re going to sit in the home end and give it the big one you deserve what you bet tbh.

garysfc likes this.
  7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Funny you mention that re Costa as I said the exact same thing to someone in the ground last night. Don't get me wrong there's definitely a fuse there but I think 90% of the time he's in complete control and is playing the game.

8. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

One positive for me last night is that so many more of our passes we’re forward compared to the end of the Hasenhuttl era.

BackFromBeyond likes this.
  9. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

I really like it tbh, we need to be dirtier as a team.

Tbh if Lyanco can just iron out a few mistakes and up his concentration he is a really good player. I just don’t know if we can afford the luxury of him adjusting to the higher level. He will be a beast next year if we go down

lewebster, milton archer and Libby like this.
  10. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Simple thoughts on last night.

As others have said...Alcarez. WOW.

Diallo - best game for us. IF he played like that he can play every week. Twice. He was that impressive to me.

11. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Oh man, forgot about the ref. He was bloody awful.

ChilcoSaint and Libby like this.
  12. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah you can't really complain if you're in the home end and you get a slap after openly celebrating imo, but that doesn't make it right and fans should still have to answer for their actions.

It's also the sort of thing that creates animosity in the online world and ends up with innocent fans of ours taking the brunt of it up there.

Kicking someone on the floor however is a just a scumbag trick plain and simple. Call me old fashioned but I ****ing hate it when people do that, especially when it's not personal. Hopefully they see the inside of a court room.

tomw24 likes this.
  13. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, kicking someone who's on the floor is cowardly and utterly ****ish.

milton archer likes this.
  14. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

If Diallo and Alcaraz can keep it up we suddenly have a bit of a headache at CM

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  15. Libby

Libby 9-0

As all our strikers are dirt let's just play a 5-5-0 formation and play for FK's every game.

garysfc and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  16. oldstocktonsaint

oldstocktonsaint Well-Known Member

I get that the cross shouldn’t have got to Joelinton but he was totally unmarked in the box. Someone should have been doing all they could to stop his run. He’ must have been wearing Jose’s invisibility cloak.

17. oldstocktonsaint

oldstocktonsaint Well-Known Member

I’d assumed that was a complete ricket by the defender. We were second best at passing ,tackling and shooting. Still I was expecting a 0-3, so 0-1 was a bonus really.

18. Le Tissier's Laces

I did look out for you by the way, Libs! Didn’t see you though.

Libby likes this.
  19. Libby

Libby 9-0

I was looking for you at HT when queuing up for hot drinks but then I realised there was far too many people and I also started to doubt that I'd even recognise you from a distance lol.

I also tried ringing @Archers Road but he didn't answer the rude bastard.

20. Le Tissier's Laces

Yeah, I stayed in seat at half time. Couldn’t be arsed with all the madness!