1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints V Stoke City Sunday 21st May 3pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Whiteley Saint, May 18, 2017.

1. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Watch out for Trains on the way :emoticon-0133-wait:

Anyone see the streaker running in the chapel stand? Caused a minor stir

2. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

Bikini briefs

3. CBK

CBK Well-Known Member

There's a video online of him. I was impressed with his penis.

4. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Yep. I think that illustrates our problem well. It's the old confidence thing. Unconfident players get rid of the ball and hide. Confident players pass the ball and then constantly look to get it back to keep the move flowing. Movement around the pitch makes it more difficult to predict. Todays more impressive moves from Saints were still predictable in a chess like way. Stephens would pass it to Romeu who would find JWP or Davis. They would either pass to Redmond/ Bertand on one side or Tadic / Cedric on the other. They would overlap and look to get a cross in. If they failed, it went back to the centre backs - sometimes the keeper. By the time they did get a cross in, there were far more Stoke players than Saints players and they found the crosses easy to defend. Just no imagination really. But increasingly in recent games, it does not even get that far. Passes go astray or players get caught in possession. Confidence drops further.

5. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

I think they are too similar. For me it will have to Be Maya alongside VVD (if he is still here).

6. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

Every club has fans like ours, we are no different to anyone else. You just need to accept that fact.

OddRiverOakWizards and ImpSaint like this.
  7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah it's worth remembering that it's not a problem unique to us.

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Yes every club has them but in no way does that mean we should just have to accept it.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    OddRiverOakWizards and davecg69 like this.
  9. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

And if that is true, he was right to be boo'd.

One should always be professional.

He selected the subs!

Fans have a right to moan and also be vocal, but not be rude or stuff like that.

I also think it is right if he goes, inexcusable performances and results, and zero goals in the last five home matches doesn't really need much explaining.

10. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Then he should have reversed it so he had that option. Friggin simple. It wasn't an absolute requirement to play Charlie 1st especially if he wasn't capable of playing 90. And that did restrict CP's options. He should ofd realised that but maybe 2x strikers never figgers for him. Just saying.

11. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

She didn't have red hair did she?

12. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

The reason Charlie, & then Gabbi, were so isolated up front was because it was Tadic's job to get in the box and support them; something Boufal did at least try to do when he came on. Redmond could arguably have been attacking the box more, but had to keep covering for a disinterested Bertrand.

Who plays two out and out strikers up top nowadays? ****ing no one, that's who. (except maybe Sam Allardyce, who got booed for it at West Ham). There's a reason for that. It's static and predictable (yeah, I know, irony alert) & it leaves you overrun in midfield. Which is why it only works with an up-and-under long ball game.

ImpSaint and Saints_Alive like this.
  13. shoot_spiderman

I was on the train

14. shoot_spiderman

My last post of the season should appropriately be to a poster who always speaks sense. Keep the faith.
    I'm taking a 606 holiday till next season and a big thanks to all that have maintained a positive and or constructively critical attitude.

Thanks and good night <cheers>

15. garysfc

Then CP got it absolutely right!

Edit: My point was really about having more offensive options. I said in an earlier post where's Josh? Any good, dont know but once CP started with Charlie & played his Gabbi, Boufal hand we / he had nothing else - and please dont harp on about Peid - he's hardly played, certainly not in that position (for us). Ps. I think he's been brilliant this year - posting & looks a good utility / squad player.

What about; with the idea this might be a very important game for CP & SFC's future?, skipping the bench keeper & having another available offensive player?

Regardless, season's done now & CP's future will be decided by the board with some (probably little) influence from the fans; yes, the good ones & the "bad" ones. Personally I dont care either way now. I've been very disappointed by Saints recently (overall performance & tactical awareness) & want better (MO). If CP's stays at least we've got manager continuity & if he goes, I bloody well hope the board get the right appointment this time.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  16. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

Live with it I suppose. These are the same people that will go to their kids games and shout abuse.

Can we do anything about terrorism? Not really, maybe we breed it through actions. I've got to the point that it's a way of life. Nothing I can do as individual will do anything.

Velcro Roy likes this.
  17. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No keeper on the bench? Hell no!

18. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Imagine the meltdown & attacks on Puel if Forster got injured in the 2nd minute ...

19. garysfc

Why not? For that game!? Koeman's done it as have others.

20. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

I think we have a right to know how Ollie got on yesterday in the final. Of course it may already have been posted, but I can't be arsed to go back through all the whinging and moaning to find it.
    Off to Ireland in a week or so - rather looking forward to that first foaming pint in Dublin.
    Have a good summer all .... :cool:

Archers Road likes this.