1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Saints v Leeds Match Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints Fan4Life, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Leeds United v Southampton
    Capital One Cup, Round 4
    Tuesday 30th October 2012
    KO: 1945, Elland Road

Referee: CHRIS FOY
    Harry Lennard and Michael McDonough
    Fourth Official Darren Drysdale​

And onto the next one! Saints take a break from League action on Tuesday night, as they travel up to Elland Road for a competitive game away at Leeds! (P.S. Sorry if this is a little early ;) )

Southampton Team News

Manager Nigel Adkins is set to rotate his side again, giving fringe players and injury returnees valuable game time. Jack Cork, Tadanari Lee & Luke Shaw are set to return from injury, with Danny Butterfield a possibility. Whilst Kelvin Davis, Jos Hooiveld, Richard Chaplow, Emmanuel Mayuka, Ben Reeves & Guly do Prado will hope to start following recent bench warming, but Frazer Richardson is out.

Possible Team:

---------------Davis---------------
    Butterfield Hooiveld Seaborne Reeves
    --------- Cork - Ward-Prowse ------
    ---------------Guly-----------------
    Mayuka---------------------Chaplow
    --------------Lee------------------

Subs: Gazzaniga, Stephens, Chambers, Hoskins, Sinclair, De Ridder, Shaw​

Leeds Team News

Team on Saturday: Kenny, Peltier, Lees (White 82), Pearce, Pugh, Byram, Norris (Hall 82), Austin, Tonge, Diouf, Becchio.
    Subs: Ashdown, Drury, Green, Brown, Gray.

Rodolph Austin, Lee Peltier and Michael Tonge all came through Saturdays game unscathed, whilst Danny Pugh may continue at left back. Ramon Nunez is out long term with knee injury, alongside Ross McCormack, Leigh Bromby & David Somma, however manager Neil Warnock may rotate his squad slightly with the demands of Championship football, with a big match at Brighton on Friday night.

Game Overview

With a cup tie at Wembley at the end of it, both clubs will be going for a win. However, Leeds have good recent form with Premier League upsets, and with struggling Southampton set to rotate their squad, Leeds may just feel they can edge a win. It should be a good match though, with many of Southampton's players desperate to show what they can do in front of manager Nigel Adkins.

I predict it will go to extra time, but Saints will just sneak it 2-1!

2. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Stuck. The officials are

Leeds United v Southampton
    CHRIS FOY
    Harry Lennard and Michael McDonough
    Fourth Official Darren Drysdale

PS Today's ref Lee Mason has the pleasure of the Chelsea v Man Utd rematch on Wednesday.

3. Saints Fan4Life

Thanks very much Qwerty!! God I feel sorry for the Chelsea & United fans after todays display :p

4. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

Do we know that Lee and Cork are back? Noone else would agree but I feel we need to play our strongest team as we need a win, our team is used to playing 2 games a week and we play Brom next Monday

5. Saints Fan4Life

Adkins said last week he was looking towards the Leeds game in regards to those two!

6. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

Lee would be a real plus, like a new signing (shame he can not play CB to shut GMI up)

7. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Would Kelvin want to be involved? He must be a figure of hate for the Leeds mongrels after what he did to them last season! We all know what happened to a previous GK who they took a dislike to.

8. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Oh great Chris Foy is the referee. Still could be worse, we could have had Clattenburg.

9. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Would like us to play Boruc, Fonte and Yoshida, the more they play together the better, and it would be a good oppurtunity for a clean sheet and some confidence. Would ideally like us to play a lot of first-teamers but the GK and CBs are probably most able to have a quick turn-around for a midweek game with them doing the least running. Then get JWP, Reeves, Shaw and Stephens on the pitch for experience, Cork and Lee in if they are able to make it their come-back game, then fill in the blanks with whoever!

10. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Agree with this 100%. We seriously need to get a settled core into the squad, and instill the belief again so they don't look so edgy.

11. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

I am sure Tom you can see the irony in Chelsea reporting Mark Clattenberg to the FA for using "inappropriate language".

12. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

I think we should put out a strong side and continue the momentum we built in the second half today as we need a win to boost confidence, even if it is not in the league. A loss would be a disaster.

13. Jose Fonte baby

Jose Fonte baby Well-Known Member

When I saw the name Chris Foy it reminded me of when he made a bad decision in a game between Stoke and Spurs, the Spurs fans started giving Chris Hoy abuse on twitter! <doh> <laugh>

14. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Chris Hoy wil have to decide which of these two giants is the biggest team and give them all the decisions
    Thought he was awful, non contact football. Decisions go to the first person to fall over. He really is a divers dream of a referee, should make for interesting watching in the cup gane because both teams go to drama class on a Tuesday afternoon!!!!

15. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

With one fewer game to recover because of the Sunday game, I suspect Nigel will play second stringers plus players coming back like Lee and Cork. He will probably play Gazza in goal...especially as he is not making the bench on Saturdays. I would like to see the strongest team we can put out...can you imagine morale if we lose to a Championship side. We need to win this game, but sadly managers never seem to think cups are important. Well, they are to fans.

16. Itchen North Matt

Itchen North Matt Active Member

--------------------Gazzaniga
    Reeves------Yoshida-----Hooiveld------Shaw
    -------------Chaplow-----JWP
    ----------------------Guly
    Mayuka-----------------------------De Ridder
    --------------------Hoskins

17. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

We don't play again until Monday though Fran so plenty of time to recover! I expect to see a fairly strong team with Lambert, Lallana and maybe Morgan and Davis getting a rest. Hopefully Cork, Lee and Shaw are fit enough to start the game. I'd go for something like this..

please log in to view this image

Bench: Davis, Hooiveld, Fox, Chaplow, Puncheon, Reeves, Lambert

Reverting to 4-4-2 as we are playing a Championship team and it worked last year. We know what we are going to get with Davis, I have a lot of respect for him but Gazza is the future and we should be giving him game time when we can. JRod will hopefully be full of confidence following his first PL goal and Mayuka hasn't had much of a chance but was positive coming on against Spurs.

But most of all I hope that Brown doesn't play for Leeds for the obvious reason that he is more of a thug than a football player.

18. ThatThereSaintsFan

ThatThereSaintsFan Well-Known Member

If we play a strong team and win that's a good morale boost and good progress in the cup, however if we lost it would shatter morale and even if we did win that's more fatigue.
    If we play a weak team then we'll probably lose which won't help morale, however it would avoid fatigue and injury risk. It's a conundrum.

19. Schneiderlin's Foxy Face

Schneiderlin's Foxy Face Active Member

We'll just have to win then won't we.

20. Itchen North Matt

Itchen North Matt Active Member

442? Did you see the game yesterday?

Move Guly inside and push Lee up as a third striker and that lineup looks alright. Leeds are a tough team to play up there and we can't afford to rlde our luck this time. Being tidy and effectlive in possession is of the essence.