1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints V Dirty Leeds Sat. 16th Oct, 3pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by chinasaint, Oct 12, 2021.

1. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Romeu for me is playing at a level where we structure the team around him. Defensively we are up in the top half of the league for sure. Take his screening away and we might struggle to keep that up. We just need to find that creativity in front of him atm and Diallo looked very good against Leeds. He was a different player to the one Ive seen in his sub appearances. With Stu Armstrong back it may be a 4-1-4-1 approach or 4-1-3-2 could work.

2. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Diallo looked great. He's very stealthy, like a ninja to Romeu's WWE wrestler, and Prowsie's petulant kindergarten bully. There were several occasions when it looked like he pulled out of a tackle that he would have made though. Maybe he's still showing caution, which to be honest, isn't necessarily a bad thing. For me, Prowsie is ahead of him, for his leadership and experience. Diallo could well be the answer to the problem we have had of losing energy in the second half. Bring him on for the final 30 minutes of each game.

Regarding Elyounoussi. Anyone else think he looked more of a threat when he switched to the left in the final 15 minutes? Think he's more of a cut-in-on-the-inside type of winger than a get-to-the-byline type. Obviously he was playing on the left all last season for Celtic, so it kinda makes sense to utilise him in his more familiar role. Apart from the pass to Redmond for the goal, Djenepo wasn't offering much again. Maybe next game Elyou on the left, Stuie on the right, Redmond behind Broja.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  3. chinasaint

chinasaint Well-Known Member

I didn't see any of the game, was sleeping and woke up to the result here this morning. Great to finally register the first league win of the season, hopefully, we can now go on a run of good results over the next few games.
    Of course, it was through my minimalistic approach of a match thread that won it for us, so I will continue with that approach for next weeks game.

4. LincolnSaint

LincolnSaint Well-Known Member

Oh absolutely room for improvement, I meant in terms of criticising personnel selection. We saw out the game with a win. Could we have done better? Maybe, but 3 points is 3 points no matter who was on the pitch

5. Le Saint

Le Saint Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  6. Itchen Masack

Itchen Masack Well-Known Member

Not really what i was getting at :) My question isn't important, but like to know reasons behind things I feel unfair!

Upon scoring, both teams had players hurt who then got treatment. The match re-started with the Leeds player on the pitch and the Saints player needing to be waved on. Why?

7. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I don’t think we missed him as captain either (Romeu seemed very vocal in that role), but I can’t say that with certainty, of course.

8. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Just read that Broja is the first Albanian to score a PL goal AND the youngest Saints player to score a PL goal when starting his first PL game for us.

Oh and also saw that Arsenal and Leicester are looking at Alien Lucy as a “cheap” squad player.

9. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Nah. Broja has more than a touch of the Pelle in the way he plays.

10. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

One aspect to Redmond, that I haven't seen anyone else mention, was that he was constantly in the ref's ear, pointing out that decisions made by the ref did not seem even-handed, and highlighting that Leeds players were getting away with things that Saints players were being pulled up for.

SootySaint and garysfc like this.

11. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I was actually talking about this to someone at work this week. In my opinion, from the games I have been to at St Mary's, JWP has been poor this season. i have not been to the away games but, on the evidence of what I have seen, I think he was very fortunate to get an England call up. JWP has nt been at his best this season and I feel he isgoing to have to fight his way back in to the squad. After the Wolves game, I was thinking that it might have been sensible to gave sold him. Fingers crossed he will regain his form.

12. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Broja is going to score an absolute hatful of goals for us. He's the real deal. Feed him and he'll score. He picked up the flights of those corners he flicked on long before anyone else, attacker or defender: he was on them as they left Redmond's foot. He's also very quick and he's strong.

By all means come back and quote this when he doesn't. But he will.

Vin

Libby, StJabbo1, tomw24 and 6 others like this.
  13. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

I agree, he looks upper PL level already. Strong, quick, great first touch and great technique on his shots. With time and experience I think he can be a hell of a player.

love us having a target man again.​

Onionman likes this.
  14. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

He has been poor but I believe this is more to do with his being injured in preseason and some mysterious stomach ailment than loss of ability. A player whose whole game is based on superb physical fitness is obviously going to struggle to keep his form if he isn't fully fit. He was beginning to get back to his best against Chelsea, driving the team forward in the second half until his dismissal.

He will have to fight to get back in the side, and that is a good thing for him, for Ralph, and for the squad.

15. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Another game we lost last season btw which must put us 6-7 points ahead of last seasons results game for game.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  16. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

17. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

It's not the first time that James has started the season slowly but he always gets better as it progresses and let's not forget that he was POTS last year.
    The most disappointing aspect has been his corners but I wouldn't say that his overall play has been poor, just a bit below par (as he loves his golf!)

18. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

On the other hand (although this might just be wishful thinking on my part, if he was to retain that one big error per game, it could be enough to prevent any of the big boys from taking him.

Although even as it is, I'd suggest he'd walk straight into the Arsenal or Spurs defence.

19. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, the two players who quickly jumped to my mind yesterday were Pelle and Niall Quinn (albeit with more pace).

If New Armstrong can ultimately prove himself to be good enough at this level, I could see him getting real joy by playing next to Broja.

20. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Well-Known Member

Was thinking the same myself, new Armstrong could form a great partnership with Broja, both very pacey, both young, both will only get better with game time?