1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints v Burnley - Saturday 4th November ko 15:00 - Goals galore thread.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Agree that Bertie takes a decent insignia from the right hand side but Stevo, when he doest do a really irritating short corner just knocks the ball across. No real whip or pass on it like JWP

2. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

With teams who actually leave someone forward... (It's been a bugbear of mine with years now with Saints; it's absolutely not just an MP thing, bringing all players back to defend. But given how much we're struggling to score, you'd think that is one little tweak he could consider doing).

But yes, I agree with your point about corners. Not since Danny Fox really have I got excited at us taking corners, but this season I'm also not worried when it comes to us facing corners. We're defending them with ease.

3. Libby

Libby 9-0

Drives me mental. Leave one or two up there and they're forced to drop people back too.

4. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Something like 1 in 30 corners are scored, they are rubbish, if we are winning then they should all be passed back into midfield to keep possession.

5. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Should have seen the quality of corners I saw from the match I watched last night. They were great. Lots of swing and pace.

6. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

What match were you watching last night? U21's?

7. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

i was just about to make a plea for a match day thread before I realised there was no immediate need. Still worth thinking about though...

I have just got in from the pub, OK?

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

I agree for what it's worth that it's worth having one, who's doing it though?

You should have a crack Chilcs <ok>

9. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Given the current state of my brain I plead insanity. Besides, if I did it we wouldn’t lose until the Champions League Final in 2022, and I don’t want to make a long term commitment.

10. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Nope. I've mentioned it a couple of times already. I watched the 2014/15 Chelsea away match where Saints beat them 3-1. Davis scored the equaliser. He also took the corners. And good ones they were too. We didn't score, but Bobby Madley managed to miss two stonewall penalties coming from corners simply because he was watching the flight of the ball and not what the Chelsea defence were doing to our players. Anyway, bloody good game.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

Well someone needs to do one <wah>

12. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

We could have a poll :bandit::bandit::bandit:

13. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Graham never really struck me as a Saints fan tbh.

14. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Every ****ing game, I say this. Not jus MP2, but Puel, Koeman and I think MP1 too.

Leave two up and they leave three back.

st_brendy and VVD like this.
  15. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Since positive game threads haven't worked, I'd be willing to create a match day thread of impending doom.

16. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Too right and we need to do something different. If we sometimes left Tadic Boufal and Redmond up even then they'd have to cover them and they're hardly key at corners. More space for the defenders to get to the ball too.

And how about when everyone is squeezed in to a tiny space for our goal kicks, hitting it into the space for the super sonic Shaney? That'd stir things up a bit.

17. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Seems so, so logical to me & so many others on here, especially "they're hardly key at corners". Why on earth, don't our managers employ? Serious question. I can't fathom.

shoot_spiderman likes this.
  18. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Only thing I can think of is that if you leave, say, 3 up and the opposition send everyone forward then you are going to have at least 2 unmarked players attacking the corner. Obviously the counter to this is if we can clear it and break then we will have a 3 on 1. I guess it depends on the mindset of the manager, if I was in charge and saw a team leaving 3 up then I think I'd gamble and only leave 1 or maybe 2 back so you are guaranteed at least one player being unmarked for the corner.

19. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Don't want to mention the elephant in the room....but 1 or 2 back protecting Forster????

20. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Yeah but the only way we score is having as many unmarked players in the box as possible, what a great predicament to have :D

Guess it all depends on whether you think it is more likely the ball drops in the area and one of the unmarked players can get onto it, or be cleared and get to one of their attacking players before your defender(s) does. Knowing Saints luck it would land at the feet of someone unmarked in the box, they ping it against the bar, flying out of the box to the opposition who break and score.