1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints v AFC Bournemouth 5:30pm Saturday 1st April

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Onionman, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

Thought Bertrand had one of his poorer games, can't put my finger on exactly what it was but just didn't seem completely 'at it'. Agree with some that Wilshere came on changed the game, and particuarly that it came after our Boufal for JWP sub.

A lot of us have been wondering/wanting to see all off Dusan, Redmond & Boufal in (plus a striker), but I think this showed it won't work unless it's against sides who have no intention of attacking. I suppose having Davis as one of the 2 MF's makes this worse too.

On another note, @Onionman - Was it you Vin who said Bournemouth fans caused a lot of trouble here on a previous visit? Certainly a bit worse than what I was expecting, and said jokingly to my Sister on the walk back up past 6 dials to town that 'now it feels like a derby'.... don't think police will agree to late ko next season.

2. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Since our return to the premier league, this has been the season with the most troubling referee performances by a mile. I am truly staggered from one week to the next. The B'mouth penalty was laughable, honestly, how he gave that I have no clue. Boufal's barge from the ball was 50 times worse.....and even that I probably wouldn't have given. It would be unfair just to lay it all at the door of the refs, some of the assistants have been shocking. The ball given out of play last week, the phantom off sides, the red card penalty double jeopardy (stands there looking vacant), I'm at the stage now where from the first minute I want them to get dogs abuse. How one of the top men hasn't come out to justify or apologise, surely they can't just hide their way through the whole season. I think the men in black are at an all time low. Good time for the celebrity ref to get out if you ask me.

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I agree about Bertrand. He seemed a little lack lustre in the first half to me.

When my Dad saw all the police on Britannia Road he questioned it. 50 yards later there were some tough buts about 16/17 mouthing off at each other and then some throwing mars bars ..... I kid you not

4. fatletiss

Very gracious to "might concede"

Would you concede his point (which was about England the team) if we had been **** in nearly all world cups and euros since 1966?

I don't think it is fair to say your last statement anymore - they are all used to
    It. Even Malta know how to deal with it, but I'll concede that we will beat them.

Finally Ian, I think it is a correct generalisation to say continental football is technically superior. I agree it isn't as exiting, but that's the English problem. The English game has always been more exciting but that is the whole point!

5. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Did you pick the Mars Bars up? I hate waste.

fatletiss likes this.
  6. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

This. Refereeing performances this season have been laughable. I've been told by my mates who don't support Saints that I can't keep blaming the refs formost games but the number of times they have seriously influenced the outcome of matches is criminal.

Saints Fan4Life likes this.
  7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Throwing mars bars <laugh>

Worse than that, was the Bournemouth fan I saw in his mid 40s shouting "you pathetic scummers, you ain't got no lads!" <doh>

Arguably both the funniest and most tragic thing I've ever seen!

8. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

The funniest aspect of that was watching the culprit carrying on mouthing off at the Bournemouth fans while walking backwards.... right into the arms of a waiting copper. I like to hope he missed the game while they sorted out their paperwork.

Bournemouth fans seem keen to cause trouble: Shouting at a bloke with his kid next to him 2 games ago/huge ruck around the bus I was on in Above Bar 2 games ago/trying to lift the roller shutters under the Northam last game. Best thing our fans could possibly do would be not to rise to it.

Vin

fatletiss and davecg69 like this.
  9. Libby

Libby 9-0

Shamelessly lifted from SW but can anyone spot what's wrong with this tweet from AFCB?

please log in to view this image

10. fatletiss

Not Bournemouth fans?

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

Correct :)

Looks like our lot to me, after the penalty miss <laugh>

And by looks like... I mean it is our lot... cos I'm in it :biggrin:

Archers Road and fatletiss like this.
  12. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Didn't we have a chant some time back "He's got a Mars bar on his head"?

13. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I'm already quite interested to see how the stats will stack up after one season of VARs. Will things be different.? I'm willing to bet they will be, from just a bit to significantly. Certainly at extreme pressure decision making moments. Divers and Arsenal players looking for penalties in the 102nd minute might end up disappointed.

14. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

We do seem to have had a significantly unlucky season regarding decisions. In all comps these are the crucial ones I can think of regarding saints:

Arsenals penalty (very soft and player down with head injury when given)
    Manchester United penalty at start of season (Shaw tripped over his own feet)
    Burnley penalty in home game - no contact whatsoever
    Spurs at home - their pen (red card right call but foul happened well outside the box)
    Spurs away - dele Alli dive for penalty
    Spurs away - Tadic hacked in the box and no penalty given
    Inter at home - candreva gets just a yellow for elbowing McQueen in the face.
    Bournemouth home - shocking call for the penalty as Fraser falls over nothing.
    EFL cup final - Gabbiadini goal incorrectly ruled out for offside.

Unrelated to saints (small sample for what i can remember)
    Shawcross hacks Wilson down in pen box as last man, gets nowhere near the ball - no red or pen.
    Mhikitaryan scores scorpion kick - good goal but offside.
    No red cards for any Everton players against Liverpool.
    Costa stays on pitch on opening day after almost breaking ankle of West Ham keeper.
    The list goes on but it's shocking how bad it's getting.

And that's not even starting in the small niggly fouls.

Saints Fan4Life likes this.
  15. fatletiss

Bloody Hell, they owe us the treble!!

TheSecondStain likes this.
  16. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Sam moaning about a foul not being given prior to our first goal....about time is what I think.

Onionman and davecg69 like this.
  17. Libby

Libby 9-0

Wrong thread I think Fran ;)

18. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Was referring to saintsfan's complaint that we aren't getting the rub of the green.

19. Libby

Libby 9-0

Ahh I see, I'll just go on and shut up then <laugh>

As you were :)

20. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

These are just the ones you can think of.? ****.! You've either got the memory of a person born before books or there have been bloody loads. As FLT says, they owe us the Treble.