1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Saints Not606 Music Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints_Alive, Jun 13, 2017.

?

Do you want a stickied music thread ?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2017.
  1. YES

21 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. NO

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. DON'T CARE

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Bizarrely enjoyable! I like stuff that refuses to be in a category. Like this is what? Good song though, excellent post, mate.

HarryTipper likes this.
  2. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Lies, it's brilliant! Plus, I think he's a very willing partner. It's quite amusing because all of the band members (apart from Richie and Candice) have medieval sounding stage names, such as the troubadour of Aberdeen and the Scarlet Minstrel and so on. I saw them live in Guildford a few years back and they were amazing. They didn't perform Far Far Away unfortunately, but they did do Peasant's Promise and Renaissance Faire. The latter was spectacular live.

And in fairness, Blackmore's Night has covered at least one Rainbow song. Such as this one which I quite like:

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  3. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Now that’s more like it! It’s that fake-medieval non-folk-rock stuff that turns my stomach. Sorry to be so disparaging by the way PL, in general there is very little music of any genre that I can’t find something to like about, so thanks for posting the acceptable face of Rainbow’s Night!

4. HarryTipper

HarryTipper Well-Known Member

Something a bit different tonight. A song from a french musician/band Igorrr.

Saints_Alive and Missing Lambo like this.
  5. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

There's a fair number of Blackmore's Night songs which have quite significant guitar riffs, ala Rainbow Eyes. Maybe I'll link you some, when I remember what they are.

6. HarryTipper

New A Perfect Circle single. :1980_boogie_down::1980_boogie_down::1980_boogie_down:

7. Missing Lambo

Interesting. If we're going French (and there is so little to go for!) then listen to Roland Tchaokounte. Seen him and his band a few times. Roland is from the Cameroon and sings in a dialect, but who cares. Voice like velvet, and beautifully constructed songs. If anyone is planning a summer visit to France, check his website for gigs. Brilliant live act, and thoroughly nice human being. The guitarist working with him ain't bad either.

8. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Glad we’re on to African music. Here’s someone I’ve posted before, but you can’t have too much Bombino. Omar Moctar, aka Bombino, is a Tuareg from Agadez in Niger who just happens to be a brilliant guitar player. Here he is in a documentary film about campaigning for democratic rights for Tuaregs in Niger: If you have a gourd handy, give it a whack...

Missing Lambo and Saints_Alive like this.
  9. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

There have been some real stellar music birthdays in October so far and today we have yet another.
    The late, great pioneer of Rock music, Chuck Berry was born Charles Andersen on this day in St Louis in 1926.
    He wasn't just a great Guitarist and Singer, he was a suberb Songwriter, producing 3 minute smart and funny masterpieces that influenced the next generation of great bands, such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and The Beach Boys.

There are many songs I could post but these are a few of my favourites...

Missing Lambo and ChilcoSaint like this.
  10. Saints_Alive

11. Saints_Alive

12. Saints_Alive

13. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Don’t forget this one! Unusual structure, being an 8 bar blues shuffle, but a few good opportunities for solos:

14. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Just seen Gord Downie has finally succumbed to brain cancer age 53.
    He was the lead singer of Canadian band, Tragically Hip, so here's a link to an acoustic version of one of their best known songs. Wheat Kings is about a guy who spent 23 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit and is a beautiful song about a tragic miscarriage of justice.

Here's the studio version

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  15. Missing Lambo

After reading William Tell's farewell this morning, I feel I should apologise to PompeyLapras for deriding his taste in music. This has no place on these threads, and there are more significant reasons for suggesting a ban for this board. (Like supporting Pompey? Sorry, my Id escaped there).

So by way of apology here is John Lennon's view of his old mate.

16. Saints_Alive

An important figure in the evolution of Reggae music, Peter Tosh was born Winston Hubert McIntosh on this day in Jamaica in 1944.

He was an original member of The Wailers along with Bob Marley and Bunny Wailer...

17. Saints_Alive

He later went solo and was tragically murdered in his own home in Jamaica in 1987...

18. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Fischer-Z's 1981 album Red Skies over Paradise is still one of my all time favourites. I was 14, just getting political and growing up with anti nuclear protests and social unrest all around so this particular album really resonated. Wonderfully crafted songs with great lyrics yet I've not knowingly spoken to anybody who even remembers them, let alone still plays it in the car like me.
    I only saw them live once, back in the 80s and wish I'd seen them more often.

Only about 3 and a half minutes long but pure quality 80s

Saints_Alive likes this.
  19. HarryTipper

A different but very good version of Villains of Circumstance from Later... with Jools Holland.

Saints_Alive and SheFellOver like this.
  20. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member