1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Saints Not606 Music Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints_Alive, Jun 13, 2017.

?

Do you want a stickied music thread ?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2017.
  1. YES

21 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. NO

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. DON'T CARE

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

That's enough evidence, m'lud. Mods, please note. Being a Pompey fan I can accept as a possible yellow card offence, but this is surely a straight red! :emoticon-0105-wink:

2. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Funny, my geography teacher didn't like that song either, I guess a lot of people don't. Though wasn't it a Christmas number one back in the days when Christmas number one wasn't monopolised by inane talent show contestants?

3. Missing Lambo

We could have a whole thread of crap number ones at Christmas. This would be in there, I guess. BTW your geography teacher was clearly a person of impeccable taste!

Saints_Alive likes this.
  4. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Ok this one is a personal pleasure for yours truly as today is the Birthday of Bob Mould who is 57 today, he was born in Malone, New York State on this day in 1960.
    He was Lead Guitarist, Co-Singer and Songwriter of the highly influential band Hüsker Dü, who pioneered Alternative Rock by fusing Hardcore Punk with 60s melodies. Subsequent bands such as Pixies, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins and Foo Fighters have cited them as a major influence..

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  5. Saints_Alive

6. Saints_Alive

He later fronted Sugar who had some success in the 90s

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  7. Saints_Alive

8. Saints_Alive

And has had a long solo career since...I've seen him live several times and he never disappoints...

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  9. Saints_Alive

10. Saints_Alive

One from his last excellent album Patch The Sky...

ChilcoSaint likes this.

11. SaintLapras

Perhaps, and a lot of them would be X-Factor number ones. Now I'm not a music snob, I don't care if an artist came up through the X-factor. After all, I own several Olly Murs songs, and I liked some of JLS' stuff, but many of the Christmas songs sung by X-Factor contestants were pretty dire... Things like When You Believe by Leon Jackson, That's My Goal by Shane Ward and others. That being said, I do like the guitar riff in Alexandra Burke's version of Hallelujah... at least for the first two thirds of the song. Then they do the stupid, unnecessary and stereo typically X-factor thing of having one of those big choral bits at the end. Also, while Matt Cardle's version of Many of Horror (entitled When We Collide) was pretty dry, through it I discovered the Biffy Clyro original, which is a pretty awesome song.

Other terrible Christmas number ones would have to include Gary Jules' mad world. Most depressing Christmas song ever. And Band Aid 20... gosh that was terrible, but at least it was for charity.

12. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

This just popped into my head . Not listened to it in ages .

Saints_Alive likes this.
  13. Missing Lambo

I love it when someone puts something up and you think "****! Never heard of this one" but the person who has put it up gives it the full pitch. Love the punk/60's collaboration concept, and the bands you cite were the ones one of my kids was playing incessantly through late adolescence and I really liked. So nice one. Off to HMV tomorrow with my list. I'm very old school. I go to a record shop, ask them to play me stuff and buy it is I like it. Vinyl first choice and if all else fails get a CD - downloads are a pile of crap! :emoticon-0105-wink:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  14. Missing Lambo

On the subject of Nirvana, their stuff hasn't aged well in my view, but the acoustic stuff from the Unplugged series is a different story. This was one of my favourite songs of theirs, and it worked really well played acoustically. Cobain came across well too.Can't believe he topped himself ...

15. Missing Lambo

One of my sons is a suit in the day and his alter ego plays in a band. This is one they've just added (after much nagging from his old man). My lad is the lead guitarist so I love the final long solo. Amazingly the solo is rated only 3rd best of all time (mind you it is a top 10 with no Slash and I think Richie Blackmore fails to register, so what can you say?).

You are forgiven if you fast forward to the solo (around 4.50)

16. Missing Lambo

Damn. I mentioned Ritchie (even of I did forget his "t") so had to find this track. The interplay between guitar and keyboard is the highlight, but having a vocalist this good was no bad thing. Jon Lord modestly said that Keith Emerson made him feel like he was playing in boxing gloves. Still not a bad keyboard player!

But then, with Keith ....

We get Sibelius on the thread!

17. HarryTipper

HarryTipper Well-Known Member

18. SaintLapras

Richie Blackmore you say? The best Richie Blackmore stuff is without a doubt his work with Blackmore's Night

19. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Blackmore’s Night is the worst load of diluted pap masquerading as music I have ever heard. How the man behind Deep Purple and Rainbow allowed himself to be sucked into that nonsense I’ll never understand.

SheFellOver likes this.
  20. Missing Lambo

What do you think of that Blackmore's Night band, Chilco? Don't hold back. I hate people with wishy washy views :emoticon-0105-wink:

Hang on, the good review came from a poster who thinks Mull of Kintyre is music! I might be able to see where you're going with this. Sorry, Pompey. Last pop mate, honest. And I promise to listen to the Night band and form my own view. :1980_boogie_down:

Thinking about guitars and keyboards, last night I dug out Focus III. Can't find individual tracks on youtube, so this is the whole album. Like all their stuff it's a bit of a dog's dinner. Track 5 is the title track and starts at 17.36. Let that run into track 6 (as the band do when you see them live) and you have a great piece of jazz-fusion rock something or other! I always play this loud on the Peripherique around Paris so I can be in a cocoon! Great flute too.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017