1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Saints Not606 Music Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints_Alive, Jun 13, 2017.

?

Do you want a stickied music thread ?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2017.
  1. YES

21 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. NO

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. DON'T CARE

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

2. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

its Friday night and enjoying a fat one....have a good weekend lads

Saints_Alive likes this.
  3. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Although he is not my personal cup of tea full respect must go to Sir Cliff Richard for his litany of "hits" since the 1950s and for his philanthropy.
    He is 77 today having been born Harry Webb in Lucknow, India in 1940..

He was Britain's answer to Elvis Presley and before him and The Shadows there really wasn't any Rock n Roll in this country.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Missing Lambo and SheFellOver like this.
  4. Saints_Alive

5. HarryTipper

HarryTipper Well-Known Member

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross have just released a homage to John Carpenter's Halloween, which is 39 years old this month.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  6. HarryTipper

7. HarryTipper

One of my favourite album closing tracks.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  8. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Manipulated, like so many others. He wanted to be a rock star; his manager wanted a "family entertainer" a la Tommy Steele. I remember "Oh Boy" on the telly, on which Cliff and Adam Faith were regulars. A critic at the time said that while Adam had a huge future, this Cliff lad would soon disappear without trace. My sister loved him, bless her. My sister was a deferential Tory, so not a lot in common all round.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  9. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

So does anyone use Spotify, and if so do you ever listen to your Weekly Discovery List?

I tend to peruse it most weeks, and while a lot of time there is some cheesy rubbish (I want to know what love is by foreigner for example) or stuff I already know, sometimes there are some really good songs that I find and really like.

One such example is:

Which I think sounds kinda Beatles-esque.

This week there is this:

Which I'd never heard before in my life but I really like it (also supports my view that music peaked between about 1998 and 2001)

And also:

Which has a great beat, even if I don't understand the lyrics (I think it's Norwegian, looking at the lyrics in the video description... doesn't quite look like German, but Scandanavian)

Anyhow, the point is I don't care what Taylor Swift says, Spotify is amazing. I've discovered so many songs and artists through it. Many of which I've gone on to purchase through iTunes. Hence my 2015 top 100 played songsSpotify playlist has a lot of Decemberists, but now I have the album it's from. Likewise my top play list of 2016 has First Aid Kit on, and now I have their album.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  10. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Some interesting pointers. Thanks. I struggle with spotify - at my age I have no room for the dross! Describing something as Beatles-esque is the kiss of death for me. And music peaked when? 1968-1971 and the death of The Doors if I'm pushed, but there is stuff post the years you quote. Arctic Monkeys ruled out are they? Guess it shows what we know. The peak is whenever you choose!

11. SaintLapras

There has been some good stuff post 2001, the Killers, most of Coldplay until their weird recent stuff, Taylor Swift, Kaiser Chiefs, not a big fan Arctic Monkeys I must confess... and there was a period between about 2013-14 or 15 where there was some good music around, but now most of it is rubbish in my subjective opinion. Of course, I'm talking about mainstream chart stuff.

Also, the song I posted is more like the good Beatles stuff like... Lady Madonna. Not the weird stuff like I am the Walrus.

12. Saints_Alive

Lady Madonna better than I Am The Walrus?...:emoticon-0112-wonde

You probably think that Wings are the band The Beatles could've been, Lapras....:)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    TheSecondStain likes this.
  13. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Well, the pic of Niklas Stromstedt is from Stockholm, so I'd hazard that he's Swedish. Per Gessle has done some good stuff in my opinion, both with Roxette and Solo. As for when music peaked, I'm afraid I'm with Lambo on this one, though, if you look hard enough behind the dross there is great music around all the time, I reckon.

14. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I think I confound Spotify. It really hasn't a clue what to do with me. It still thinks I might be interested in listening to Beyonce, 'Hannah Montana' or some boy band. I think it bases it all on some data gained from when I listened to one Spice Girls track about 3-4 years ago.

15. SaintLapras

In fairness the only Wings songs I know are Band on the Run (great song) and Mull of Kintyre (also a great song). So based on my limited experience, they do seem like a pretty good band.

As for Lady Madonna, it's not my favourite Beatles song... I guess, my favourites would be Here Comes the Sun, Let it Be, Hey Jude... you know, the classics. But you gotta admit, I am the Walrus is pretty weird, but then so are some of the songs on Sargent Pepper's.

Well, the 60s did seem to have quite a bit of good music from what I've heard. I guess there's always great music if you look for it, thankfully Spotify makes it easier to find it. Shame there's so much dross nowadays, but then if TOTP is anything to go by, there was a fair amount of dross in 1984 as well.

Heh, I wonder that about my own Spotify sometimes. There are some odd recommendations. As for the Spice Girls, they did a few good songs.

16. Saints_Alive

It's called Psychedelic music and I happen to think that it is one of the most exciting, imaginative and creative genres there is.

I like a lot of Macca's stuff but some of it is just commercial "Musak" and Mull Of Kintyre is a boring dirge IMO

17. Saints_Alive

Happy Birthday to 60s Folk Rocker, Barry McGuire who is best known for this classic protest song, he is 82 today...

18. HarryTipper

Flea, bassist of Red Hot Chili Peppers is 55 today.
    Their 8th studio album By the Way is my personal favourite, which although not their best reminds me of my first serious girlfriend and was also the summer I left school. Can't believe it was 15 years ago already.

19. HarryTipper

20. SaintLapras

They're certainly creative, I'll give them that.

Mull of Kintyre is a great song on so many levels. For one, it's got the soaring sounds of bagpipes, which are a great musical instrument. Secondly, it's got some beautiful lyrics, especially in the third verse "Smiles in the sunshine and tears in the rain/still take me back where my memories remain", and that one lyric just encapsulates the nostalgia for a place you call home and all the memories associated with that, both good and bad, smiles and tears. After all, it is all our memories that make us who we are, and some places that will forever hold a special place inside your heart which you will hold onto for the rest of your life, and look back on, all sorts events. Birthdays, anniversaries, sunday meals, family fights and family make ups, christmas mornings, and so on. And thirdly, in the video there's a baton twirler, and baton twirlers are awesome!