1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Saints Not606 Music Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints_Alive, Jun 13, 2017.

?

Do you want a stickied music thread ?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2017.
  1. YES

21 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. NO

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. DON'T CARE

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

2. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Tom Petty & Tom Petty With Stevie :)

UTRs, Saints_Alive, davecg69 and 2 others like this.
  3. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Love Tom Petty. Was lucky enough to see him and the band in Paris a few years ago. Great gig!

4. Saints_Alive

One for Jake LaMotta....<rose>

5. UTRs

UTRs Senile Member

6. Number 1 Jasper

Brilliant group , such a shame what happened to him .

UTRs and Saints_Alive like this.
  7. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Watched Baby Driver last night. Not a bad film, and it inspired me to listen to my S&G Bridge Over Troubled Water LP. Yes, I could easily put up the track Baby Driver, but that's too easy, and besides, I think it has already been put up on this thread. So I'll do another track [or two as I can't decide which] from the album. The Only Living Boy in New York is about Paul Simon being left in New York, writing songs while Art Garfunkel [Tom] went off to film the movie Catch-22:

Incidentally, there is what looks to be an interesting film coming out called, The Only Living Boy in New York, featuring quite an ensemble cast. It looks like the film might actually have a human story about it rather than be based on shooting, fast cars and cartoon violence. I'll look out for it.
    Track choice number two has to be So Long Frank Lloyd Wright. A wonderful dreamy song that only S&G were capable of, where the character of famous architect FLW was blurred with Garfunkel because AG had been an architecture major at university. The 'so long' refers to the duo's imminent break up, as BOTW would be their last original album together:

8. Saints_Alive

Gustav Holst, the English composer best known for the orchestral suite The Planets, was born in Cheltenham on this day in 1874...

9. Saints_Alive

The late Canadian Singer/Songwriter, Leonard Cohen was born on this day in Westmount, Quebec in 1934...

10. Saints_Alive

11. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

45 years ago today former Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher was born. Here he is sitting on a chair:

And lying down...

SheFellOver, Saints_Alive and UTRs like this.
  12. TheSecondStain

Glad that SA is open to a bit of Classical here. For a long time I've loved the genre even though my knowledge is a bit spotty. I just know what I like. As a collector of radio drama I first heard this track in 1980, on a 3-part adaptation of Thomas Hardy's A Pair of Blue Eyes, starring a very young Jeremy Irons, Michael Maloney, Janet Maw, and an elderly Nigel Stock [it is regularly repeated on Radio 4 Extra]. This was just incidental music from the drama, but it stuck with me because it was so beautiful. Midway through the drama, at the point that the music starts, an older established man and naive lover has partially fallen off a cliff in Cornwall and is clinging on by his slipping grip, while the rocks and crashing waves below taunt him with his death. He contemplates his unattractive life gone by and the little he may have left, but while he begins to despair the young woman, who have saved his life emotionally by becoming his lover, saves his life physically by ripping her dress into a rope of material, and so he clambers to safety. I've never read the novel, but the radio drama is pretty good. Anyway, here is the adagio, ma non troppo, [slow, but not too much] from the second movement of Lyra Angelica by William Alwyn. It's not my favourite arrangement, but it's the closest I can get from Youtube:

Saints_Alive and UTRs like this.
  13. Number 1 Jasper

Saints_Alive likes this.
  14. TheSecondStain

Gustav Mahler Symphony No.1. This is one of those situations where you hear a piece of music you like and it takes years of finding out what it was. Well it took me about 20 years of on/off looking and I only found it by stumbling over it in an Oxfam furntiure and record shop. I was in there to give something to them and I thought to browse through their LPs. IIRC, I only bought this one over another because the vinyl was in spanking new condition with nery a scratch on its bottom. Of course, on playing it I had finished my search. I've actually picked a live rendition of this because it's being performed by musicians who can play almost perfectly 90% of the time. And it's a not a bad recording. Give yourself time, it's an hour long:

Peculiarly, my cousin reckons that Mahler is music to commit suicide by. I don't hear that in it myself. ;)

Saints_Alive likes this.
  15. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

16. Saints_Alive

Rock's "Prince of Darkness", Nick Cave celebrates his 60th birthday today....

Number 1 Jasper and ChilcoSaint like this.
  17. Saints_Alive

18. Saints_Alive

And Happy Birthday to Rock Chick, Joan Jett who was born near Philadelphia on this day 59 years ago....

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  19. Saints_Alive

20. Number 1 Jasper

Another group / Singer I rate .

She can sing !

*** go to about 1 minute 40 seconds of the second song , starts off with the crowd cheering ***

ChilcoSaint likes this.