1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Saints Not606 Music Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints_Alive, Jun 13, 2017.

?

Do you want a stickied music thread ?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2017.
  1. YES

21 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. NO

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. DON'T CARE

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

2. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

Chilco

There are some interesting points that you raise there. I was not a fan of Amy Winehouse and the whole troubled female singer element was a little bit boring as music is just littered with these kinds of musicians. I don't agree with the assessment that she was on a par with Ella Fitzgerald who, to my way of thinking, had perhaps the finest instrument in her voice of any singer in the last century. I am not necessarily a fan but I think she was a standout and her ability as musician as opposed to being a singer was well in excess of Winehouse - despite Tony Bennett''s assessment. From a "technical" point of view, there aren't too many female singers who can match Ella albeit Sarah Vaughan came close. I am not a fan of her, I am afraid. In 2017, I would have to cite Dianne Reeves as probably the only singer on a technical level with Ella now that Betty Carter is no longer with us.

The weird thing about Amy Winehouse is the hype about her which clouds the fact that she was actually a product of the National Youth Jazz Orchestra which means she was already of a significantly high standard before embarking on her solo career. There is a surfeit of jazz singers at the moment, the majority of whom are of little interest even though some like Gretchen Parlato or Lucian Souza are clearing involved in the heart of jazz as opposed to be pop singers who delve in to older repertoire. The jazz community therefore was not quite as enthralled by her as the pop audience since she was merely one of a multitude of decent singers. Strangely, since her passing, it has been apparent just how much her repertoire has been absorbed by jazz groups and especially student big bands where it is fair to say her songs crop up fairly regularly whenever it is necessary to feature the band's girl singer.

Personally, there was too much hype surrounding her but you can say the same about Madeleine Peyroux twenty years ago or the American singer who was severely injured in a car crash whose name I forget but who was half decent when I saw her perform a few years back. Wondered if you had heard Beth Hart who had had similar issues with drugs to AW as well as being diagnosed as bi-polar? I saw her last year and was staggered how good she was albeit she was coming from more of a blues / rock background?

3. Saints_Alive

No offence Ian, but I rate Tony Bennett's opinion a little bit higher than yours and her personal problems should not detract from the fact that she was a supremely gifted artist.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  4. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

saints Alive

Fair enough, it is all down to personal opinion.

As I said, Amy Winehouse would have had to have been good to begin with in order to sing with NYJO. I don't doubt her ability but I was just saying that I felt that to put her on a par with Ella Fitzgerald (who had a career that spanned the best part of fifty years from when she was first discovered by bandleader Chick Webb the mid -1930s) is a bit generous on the part of TB. I quite respect his opinion ( regardless of the fact that is own singer is about a 1/4 tone flat all the time) and it is worth noting that he had himself performed with people like Bill Evans and is no slouch. The problem for me with these comments is that AW's music was put in a plate and is still pretty easy to find whereas other stuff takes a bit of effort to discover. AW was a genuine artist but more comparable to someone like Billie Holiday who had the emotional depth that Ella Fitzgerald lacked albeit a fraction of her technique and range,

It is quite interesting that some singers can hold a career with not actually being technically very good. The most obvious example for me is the 1950's jazz singer Annie Ross whose choice of notes always seems to approximate the underlying harmony of the music. It works but it is a bit staggering how she managed to get away with this style.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  5. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Ian, sadly you can't compare the length of career of someone like Ella, with someone like Amy whose life had hardly got going before it was snuffed out by her own actions at the age of 27. We'll never know of course, but just imagine what her output would have consisted of if she had lived into her 50's or 60's.

As to the technical ability, Amy was a natural musician and would only have got better with age, which tragically, we will never find out.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  6. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Beth Hart. What a voice!

Saints_Alive likes this.
  7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Well someone had to:

:1980_boogie_down::1980_boogie_down::1980_boogie_down:

8. Saints_Alive

One for Roy....

9. Saints_Alive

Something from Storm The Palace...

HarryTipper likes this.
  10. HarryTipper

HarryTipper Well-Known Member

11. Saints_Alive

Happy 67th Birthday to outrageous The Tubes frontman, Fee Waybill, who was born on this day in Nebraska in 1950....

12. Saints_Alive

13. Saints_Alive

Hugely influential Country legend, Hank Williams was born on this day in Alabama in 1923...

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  14. UTRs

UTRs Senile Member

15. UTRs

UTRs Senile Member

16. UTRs

UTRs Senile Member

17. davecg69

One of my favourite musicians and a huge talent with his song about a mythical meeting in Alabama between Hank and Dylan Thomas.

Saints_Alive and ChilcoSaint like this.
  18. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I listened to this at the weekend . Love it :)

Though if someone can explain the creature in the suit I would appreciate it !

Saints_Alive and SheFellOver like this.
  19. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Met Reg a couple of times, miserable bugger but a fabulous musician and a great songwriter.

20. davecg69

I've met him a number of times. Charming, friendly and a great guy! Just goes to show, doesn't it?