1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Saints Not606 Music Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints_Alive, Jun 13, 2017.

?

Do you want a stickied music thread ?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2017.
  1. YES

21 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. NO

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. DON'T CARE

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Ah, just noticed this one too...

What a voice, this song is perfect for her.

davecg69 and ChilcoSaint like this.
  2. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

I'd have to brake it down into genres. Soul would be, in no particular order.
    Barefootin'........... .............................Robert Parker (definitely #1)
    I can't turn you lose...........................Otis Redding
    How sweet it is to beloved by you....Junior Walker
    Land of a 1000 dances,,,,,,...............Wilson Pickett
    Aint to proud to beg..........................Temptations
    Blowing in the wind...........................Stevie Wonder
    Working in a coal mine.....................Lee Dorsey
    Loving you is sweeter than ever......Four Tops
    Warm and tender love.....................Percy Sledge
    I think that's five, special mention for Georgie Fame, Bob Dylan, The Who and the Small faces.
    Now that's what I call music!

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  3. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Yet another piece of genius from the Carole King/Gerry Goffin factory. I love Dusty’s version, but I think the Byrds’ one just edges it!

davecg69 and Saints_Alive like this.
  4. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Here’s Robert Parker. What a brilliant song, great band behind him too. He died a couple of years ago aged 89.

Saints_Alive and StJabbo1 like this.
  5. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I heard about this too. I saw him about ten years ago in Vienne. Ramsey Lewis was someone I had heard about more than heard. Catching him play live, i think he produced some really accessible jazz that had a broad appeal but was maybe unfortunate insofar that he emerged at a time when jazz was at it's most unforgiving and critics took a harsh attitude to those players they deemed to be commercial. As a consequence, I think Lewis has been overlooked by many jazz fans.

It has been quite a difficult month in jazz because organist Joey De Francesco was also taken from us and, pehaps even more shocking, the trumpeter jaimie branch died aged 39. She was probably the most promising trumpet player of her geneation and was beginning to make a name for herself.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  6. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

1. God Only Knows ... for the harmonies that the Beach Boys produced
    2. Sunny Afternoon ... Ray Davies conveys great images with his lyrics.
    3. How sweet it is .... to hear such a wonderful instrument in the hands of Jr Walker
    4. The More I see you .. I love the Latin rhythms
    5. Working in a coalmine .... The beat is just great to get the bum wiggling.

Saints_Alive and ChilcoSaint like this.
  7. Ian Thumwood

Not really a fan of pop . rock music but it is fascinating reading the credit notes on albu, covers to see exactly who was involved in the production. I find the comment about harmonies really interesting because this works on two levels - the may the chords progress and are voiced and then how the music is orchestrated. For me this really separates the men from the boys but it is also telling as to how well connected a band might be or have access to really talented musicians. You can see loads of videos along these lines on Youtube where typically someone might argue that The Beatles lack of musical theory did not preclude them from moments of musical sophisitcation and a case will then be stretched to demonstrate this. However, you can find some really interesting names caught up in studio work. The best example is probably Billy Byers with Frank Zappa although Zappa himself was working to a seriously high level of musical theory and had his own classical compositions conducted by Pierre Boulez no less. (Zappa probably represents the apogee of a musically gifted individual working in rock and famously had to recruit top notch musicians to play his music.) More recently, Prince was assisted by Latin jazz pianist / arranger Clare Fischer and his son (never undestood why he has a girl's name! ) and also Mike Gibbs who produced charts for both Whitney Houston and (i think) Peter Gabriel.

I am sure that these are little more that the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the calibre of people writing the charts for pop artists but wonder, with the advent of digital technology, this is becoming less and less a factor although the likes of Jules Buckley have been adept at making a names for themselves in this field. There are also a few artists like Laura Mvula and Micahel Kiwanuka who I feel are very switcjed on when it comes to making music It does make me wonder just how far a pop / rock artist could push things musicially before losing his/her audience. In recent times, I think this acolade probably belongs to Radiohead alehtiugh I am not too familiar with their work. In the case of Laura Mvula, her record label dropped her even though her stock was incredible high amongst jazz and classical fans. A lot of pop music these days is extremely basic and ,in many cases, betrays a lack of any musical understanding whatso ever with the "music simply being based on one chord or maybe a tune framed within simple 4 or 8 bar sections. You just get the impression that these days production is considered more important than the music itself hence the reputation of someone like David Guetta.

8. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

A song for Autumn by the woman I have loved for the last 50-odd years. As Bob Dylan once said, anyone who got within 50 feet of Joni fell in love with her. You can see the other people on stage with her here doing just that:

davecg69 and Saints_Alive like this.
  9. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

10. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

11. Saints_Alive

Here are the 'Orrible 'Oo at their most moddest (definately not modest!) live in session for the BBC in the mid '60s, always superb live and these are fab!...

12. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Got tickets for the Monkeys at Ageas Bowl June next year. Saw them at O2 some years ago & they were brilliant.

13. Ian Thumwood

I have been listening to a lot of Scriabin's piano music over the last few months. The more I listen, he more fastinated I have become.

StJabbo1 likes this.
  14. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  15. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

Roxy Music at Glasgow Hydro. I know someone who was there last night and she loved it although Ferry has to sing in a lower tone these days.
    Also true to Glasgow style after about four songs a fight broke out behind her. They were all in the 50-60 age group reliving their youth and dragged out by security.
    Tickets were around £100 I believe.

"Granddad what was Roxy Music like last night?"
    "Don't know son, got kicked out after four songs for fighting." ffs <laugh>

Ah Roxy Music, those were the days. They don't make them like that anymore.

16. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Just been to see the Australian Pink Floyd Show at Bath Forum. Just awesome, note perfect, and a thoroughly entertaining evening. If you see them coming to your area, go and see.
    7F06A103-BA1E-4A20-8537-BD547D0F2F07.jpeg

Attached Files:

17. Saints_Alive

The last of the great Rock n Roll originals has passed, they just don't make 'em like this anymore...

R.I.P. Killer...<rose>

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  18. Saints_Alive

Saw them at the Guildhall back in the '90s...excellent show.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  19. Saints_Alive

Love the new video for I'm Only Sleeping for the recently released Giles Martin 2022 mix of Revolver (my favourite Fab Four album)...

SheFellOver likes this.
  20. Saints_Alive