1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Saints Not606 Music Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints_Alive, Jun 13, 2017.

?

Do you want a stickied music thread ?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2017.
  1. YES

21 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. NO

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. DON'T CARE

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Blackmore’s Night, considering where Richie came from, is easily one of the worst career moves any musician has ever made. Dreadful, insipid pap.

2. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

You take that back!!

Also, to be fair they did do a cover of a Rainbow song, which is quite good:

3. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

It’s called “lurve”, Chilco. You’ll do anything for the one you truly love. Give up your place in a successful hard rock band and play “renaissance minstrel music”, take a back seat and let her (or him) take the honours ....
    Fair play to him if he’s happy. He’s a very very talented guitarist, but I do agree that he’s SO much better than this ......
    Of course, for many of us, you do everything for them and then you get shafted and the **** kicked out of you .... but, perhaps, that’s just my bitterness showing :emoticon-0102-bigsm

4. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

They also did a pretty **** version of “Child In Time” which is one of my favourite Deep Purple track, so I was always going to be anti it anyway!

5. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

It's about when you heard Richie first - if you remember him from when he still owned his own testicles then Blackmore's Night is indeed an abomination.

If you happen across BN on some random Youtube search and never realised that Richie used to be more than just quite a good guitarist then I suppose you might see some merit.*

* this is then dependent on not actually listening to any of his back catalogue from when he used to still be a rock star**
    ** If you have listened to Proper Richie, and then still think Blackmore's Night is anything other than terrible, then there is no hope unfortunately

Kaito, davecg69 and ChilcoSaint like this.
  6. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Exactly, and that’s so well put. I saw Deep Purple at Bournemouth Winter Gardens in 1971, the original lineup. Music that came up through your feet before your ears realised what was happening to them. Exciting, gripping, run-outside-and-turn-over-a-dustbin music that did things to the emotions in a way that Blackmore’s Night doesn’t even try to.

7. SaintLapras

Tbf, Far Far Away makes me feel very emotional, it's on my depressing music playlist on Spotify for a reason.

Actually it was my uni housemate that introduced me to Blackmore's Night! I'm not sure how she found it though

8. SaintLapras

Sorry for the double post, but I discovered this song recently by Smith & Thell (I posted another song from them earlier in this thread, Toast which is a great song and uplifting.

It's catchy and upbeat, the kind of song you could dance or sing to, as you'd possibly expect from a Smith & Thell song, but listening to the lyrics, am I massively misinterpreting it, or is it about two people forming some kind of suicide pact? I'm not sure what Nangilima means though.

9. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

If it is about forming a suicide pact, I very quickly understood why, listening to it. Sorry Lamps, absolutely not one for me.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  10. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

It's not a cover of this is it?....

Paul Young never lived it down!

11. Schrodinger's Cat

Nangilima is from a Swedish children's book called The Brothers Lionheart. It's the name of a place, a kind of heaven, afterlife etc that the kids in the book get to by jumping off a cliff so song probably is about suicide, sort of, maybe.
    I read the book years ago and liked it. Not a fan of the song though

davecg69 and Saints_Alive like this.
  12. Saints_Alive

I think i'm right in saying that Scandanavia has the highest suicide rate per capita in Europe, certainly Hugh Cornwell had some views on life after living there for a while..

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  13. Schrodinger's Cat

Any excuse for a Stranglers song <cool>
    "Too much time to think, too little to do" just about sums up my year as I've been furloughed for most of it

davecg69 and Saints_Alive like this.
  14. SaintLapras

Well that explains most of the lyrics including the bit about the high cliffs at Pasadena (I wouldn't know, I've never been there). Very dark, but definitely one of the more upbeat songs about suicide. Apparently the Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite by R.E.M. is about suicide and it is very upbeat.

Haha, I can see why. That was... odd. I mean, I like toast as much as the next person but still... Although banana on toast sounds gross.

But no, this is Toast

It's a similar sound to Nangilima so you probably won't like it, but I think it's a great song. I discovered it in the first lockdown but I really like because I feel like it has a nice message about human resilience and overcoming adversity, even in the hardest nights which, which may be terribly hard but like, no matter how hard they are, you can and will get through it... and helps you feel like you're not alone.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  15. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss Fats

fatletiss likes this.
  16. Le Tissier's Laces

Was just driving home an hour ago and this popped up on 6Music. First time I’ve heard it and not been knowing it was on its way!

9D3DD96D-1E65-4BD2-89F3-A74D2279D9D2.jpeg

17. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

She’ll have felt at home with a mixture of Tricky, Massive Attack and Portishead on that show. Great to see she’s being thought of as belonging in that company!

18. Saints_Alive

19. Le Tissier's Laces

Yeah, love the comment that she's 'refreshing the genre'.

ChilcoSaint and Saints_Alive like this.
  20. Le Tissier's Laces

Playlists really are the dark arts - tends to be up to the power of the distributor you have, amongst other factors, particularly when it comes to Spotify editorial playlists. It's a bit of a shocker we're not on one at the moment to be honest, but...only so much I can do there.