1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Saints Not606 Music Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints_Alive, Jun 13, 2017.

?

Do you want a stickied music thread ?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2017.
  1. YES

21 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. NO

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. DON'T CARE

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Wow! Always loved this song, but together with this video, it just makes it magnificent! Thanks, SA. Superb!

2. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Of course, this is my favourite cover version. Superb use of the ukulele and a lovely nod to Alan “S’Murph” Murphy with the guitar and candle (in the wind?) on an empty chair.

3. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Joy bringer by Joy

Saints_Alive likes this.
  4. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Here is a fine interpretation of an old Psychedelic Furs song that I came across today...

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  5. SaintInKuwait

SaintInKuwait Well-Known Member

This song ate my ears.

Saints_Alive and StJabbo1 like this.
  6. woolstonian

woolstonian Well-Known Member

How I feel right now!

7. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

So I listen to Spotify a lot, and every week (or most weeks) I listen to my release radar. Sometimes it has some good songs, but recently no song I've fallen in love with as quickly as this:

This song is all about nostalgia, and I'm a sucker for nostalgia. As well as being nostalgic, it also has a fairly mellow melody, and while Annie is reminiscing about growing up in the city of Bergen, I can't help but reminisce thinking of my own teenage years. Particularly the lines in the second chorus "What ever happened to them all? Wherever I go I'll recall, all the friends that we made in the town down by the bay", which makes me think of those teenage friendships that I had with people I've not spoken to or seen in years, like literally over a decade. Though for me it is "The town down by the river" (Farnham, although river doesn't fit as well) and I'll never forget those friends that I had and the shared experiences we have and all the things we did together, even if now they are just a distant memory. Though songs like this make we realise I am not alone in experiencing the feelings that I feel, and nostalgia is a pretty common experience I guess. Or at least all the songs on the subject of nostalgia would suggest it is.

Saints_Alive and davecg69 like this.
  8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I thought you popped into say this to us PL

9. SaintInKuwait

Don’t be expecting words.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  10. Saints_Alive

This is a guaranteed dopamine hit for these worrying times, these twin sisters are from the land of our great Manager and have moved over here to Liverpool. They do some really fine classic rock covers as well as original songs...

11. SaintInKuwait

Whack World is the first album by Tierra Whack. Probably one of my favourite albums of the last ten years. I’m sure it won’t be to everyone’s taste but it’s 15 songs, all around 1min each and a video made for the entire album. It was intended to be a kind of visual album. It’s astonishing to me that something this weird, creative and unique was their first record. Themes include pets, food, mental illness and heartbreak. The video alone is definitely worth 15 minutes of your time.

And if that’s not your taste, here’s Dutch legend Willeke Alberti with a real ****ing belter.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  12. Saints_Alive

The Analogues are a Dutch tribute act to the Beatles. Founded in 2014, the Analogues' ambition has been to perform the Beatles' music from their later studio years live, using analogue and period-accurate instrumentation. The Analogues distinguished themselves by performing songs and whole albums live, which the Beatles never played live. While the band does not attempt to look like the Beatles, they have been noted for accurately recreating and reproducing their music.

The White album was released in November '68 and The Beatles never performed it in front of a live audience in full, this is probably the nearest that you can get to that experience...

13. Saints_Alive

My personal favourite version from P.P.Arnold...

davecg69 and StJabbo1 like this.
  14. frenchsaint76

frenchsaint76 Member

Any Runrig fans in here? I saw them in Portsmouth (say it quietly) in the 80s. One of the best gigs I have been to. This link is a bit long, but I think any fans will enjoy it!

15. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Always liked them. Interesting little-known fact: former Runrig keyboard player Pete Wishart is now an SNP MP and Shadow Leader of the House of Commons for the SNP.

davecg69 likes this.
  16. frenchsaint76

frenchsaint76 Member

..and Donnie Munro, the original lead singer, was a member of the Scottish Parliament for a while I think

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  17. SaintInKuwait

I’d never heard of this band before. Mighty Mighty. It came on in a mix a friend made me and I couldn’t believe how good it was. Turns out they only had a couple of albums in the 80s and a Peel Sessions bootleg. It’s VERY Smiths-y. A bit like The Smiths if they’d eaten a load of gummy bears before recording.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  18. SaintInKuwait

Something else I love. This mix is attempting to recreate the mix tape of African music that inspired (or was ripped off for) Paul Simon’s Graceland. It’s very good.

It’s put together by The Kleptones who are great crate digger/bootleg/mashup guys.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  19. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

I'm sure I've posted this before but thought I would post again RIP Des

20. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

RIP Ray Clemence. It was either this or Tottenham Tottenham. It was never going to be the latter