1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Saints Not606 Music Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints_Alive, Jun 13, 2017.

?

Do you want a stickied music thread ?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2017.
  1. YES

21 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. NO

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. DON'T CARE

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

From that list, I would choose the Stone Roses, but these days I never listen to Radio 2, If I was still in the UK, my music station of choice is Jazz FM.

2. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Wynton Marsalis tried it on with my wife after she interviewed him once :emoticon-0102-bigsm

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

From what I’ve seen, understandable :emoticon-0105-wink:

4. Le Tissier's Laces

By the way, if you use Spotify, please do go give the girl a follow on there. It really helps when you’re trying to climb a very unfairly tilted mountain.

Saints_Alive and davecg69 like this.
  5. Le Tissier's Laces

6. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

Ides

I was saying to a friend this evening about jazz from the 1980s being so consistent that it was not possible to appreciate just how much variety there was during that decade. I had an obsession with ECM records at the time and was hopelessly addicted to the label which was extremely expensive at the time. I started on Chick Corea and then heard Jan Garbarek in concert when I went to the Edinburgh festival with a couple of mates. I had never heard of Garbarek but discovering this label made me quite open minded about jazz. I think the 70s and 80s were the label's "golden era" and a time when the music it released was fresh and original.

It was an interesting decade because you could still go to concerts by musicians who had been performing in the 1930s like Lionel Hampton whilst listen to musicians like Bill Frisell who offered something very different from earlier kinds of jazz. The music seemed to split off in different directions whether it was the New-Neo's such as Marsalis, the NYC Downtown scene, the continuation of 1960s avant garde or even the scene in Europe. There was something for everyone and jazz even found it's way in to pop records whether with Branford Marsalis and Kenny Kirkland appearing on Sting's "Blue Turtle " album or Eberhard Weber playing his bespoke electric bass on Kate Bush's "Hounds of love." (I often wonder how many people buying that record were aware of Weber's own work or even considered how on earth Kate Bush was savvy to his music.)

I found a lot of jazz in the 2000's and 2010's a little disappointing. The harder-edged stuff which I prefer was swamped out for a long while by a preponderance of piano trios that became fashionable after the success of Brad Mehldau and more lightweight stuff like EST. I think the music is starting to find it's feet again and getting more confident about regarding it's stridency. However, i really miss the fact that back in the 1980s there was a real sense of accomplishment about discovering musicians like John Surman and Art Ensemble of Chicago after initially finding their music too difficult! (I remember being horrified at hearing a duo between Surman and singer Karin Krog called "My friends" which sounded nothing like the jazz I listened too as well as being totally baffled by AEoC at the time. I have seen hundreds of gigs over the years but regret never getting to see AEoC.) Like a lot of music, jazz no longer has the shock element it quite had in the 1980s but I do think it is a peaks and troughs kind of thing. Ultimately people start to twig that something is not as good as it is cracked up to be and then move on to something else. I love exploring music whilst at the same time am prepared to be disappointed in a lot of stuff that lacks the spirit of adventure so prevalent in he 1980s. It is quite depressing to think that "mainstream pop music" nowadays would probably exclude the likes of Prince for being too challenging to listen to.

The Ides of March likes this.
  7. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

Art Ensemble of Chicago - Great black music from the ancient to the future..

This stuff really shocked me as a teenager but i have grown to love the theatre and unpredictability of their performances....

The Ides of March likes this.
  8. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

99p of anyone’s cash is also a bargain price for an iTunes single of that quality.

9. Le Tissier's Laces

I’ll tell you all about how hideously stacked against new artists this sodding industry is some time.

davecg69 and ChilcoSaint like this.
  10. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I’ve already had nearly 30 years worth of my friend Helena’s tales in that regard mate, I can only wish you and Holly every good fortune. The main thing is she has talent coming out of her every pore, and this latest song is going to appeal to a wide range of tastes. If she gets the radio plays she deserves, stand by for liftoff!

11. Le Tissier's Laces

Ignore this post. I'm not going to say that just yet!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  12. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

A boy named Carol had a particularly rough childhood because of his uncommon name. He always got a lot of teasing and abuse at school. Eventually, he overcame his hang-up and married his high-school sweetheart.

When their first child was born, he let his wife name her.

She named the baby girl "Love" inspired in the same spirit as Carol's unique name.

Unfortunately, Love grew up and endured much of the same teasing that Carol did, because of her strange name.

She came home from school one day and screamed at her dad, asking why he gave her such a stupid name.

Carol took the blame to protect his wife and apologised.

In a fit of rage, Love shot him with her dart gun and ran away.

Minutes later, Carol's wife came home and saw him lying on the ground.

"What happened?!" she asked, running to him.

He waved her closer, and whispered, "Shot through the heart, and you're to blame. Darling, you gave Love a bad name."

13. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Lovely interview here with Macca talking to John's son Sean Lennon, gold for Beatles fans...

SaintMarv likes this.
  14. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

15. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

It's 1957 and Bobby goes to pick up his date, Peggy Sue.

Peggy Sue's father answers the door and invites him in. He asks Bobby what they're planning to do on the date.

Bobby politely responds that they'll probably just go to the malt shop or to a drive-in movie.

Peggy Sue's father suggests, "Why don't you kids go out and screw? I hear all of the kids are doing it."

Bobby is shocked. "Excuse me, sir?"

“Oh yes, Peggy Sue really likes to screw. She'll screw all night if we let her."

Peggy Sue comes downstairs and announces that she's ready to go.

About 20 minutes later, a thoroughly dishevelled Peggy Sue rushes back into the house, slams the door behind her, and screams at her father,

“Dad! The Twist! It's called the Twist!"

Saints_Alive and davecg69 like this.
  16. Saints_Alive

Love the scuzzy guitar and bass on Black Honey's latest single...

17. Saints_Alive

I find Hannah Reid's vocals on this so soothing...

ChilcoSaint and StJabbo1 like this.
  18. Saints_Alive

This one is dedicated to Theo and Big Vester for dramatically snatching a deserved point at the Bridge...

It's just lovely featuring the gorgeous Susanna from The Bangles..

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  19. Saints_Alive

I've followed these Aussies for the last few years and they rarely disappoint. Their sound is like a mix of early REM and fellow Aussies, The Go-Betweens.
    This one is from the latest album Sideways To New Italy...

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  20. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Spencer Davis popped his cloggs aged 81,