1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Saints January Transfer Window Rumour Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by tomw24, Nov 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

I'd accept that right now, and invest it along with some cash of our own for a £20m striker

st_brendy likes this.
  2. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

It pains me to say it, but I'd accept that.

3. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I'd kinda bite their hand off for that. Sorry Jay.

garysfc and st_brendy like this.
  4. Libby

Libby 9-0

Me too. If that is true then most definitely would accept.

5. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Need to buy someone in first.....

6. Libby

Libby 9-0

Good point. But providing we can I'd take any offer of 10m or above.

I also can't see how Olomola(sp?) can offer any less

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  7. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Usually I would agree. But in the instance, I'm thinking "do we?". I don't buy for one minute that someone would offer £11m for Jay, but if someone actually does then I'd be accepting it straight away. Even if it duly left us one man down for, say, three weeks during January. It's too good an offer to turn down, or even just delay on and risk missing, and Jay simply isn't playing well or often enough for us to miss an extra body for a few games. Especially with no EL games during January (although I do accept that we'll have the FA Cup starting).

Yes we'd need to sign someone before the end of the January window, but we need to that anyway, regardless of Jay coming or going. (It just becomes that little bit more important with no Jay). I don't see that we really need to hang onto Jay before doing that - just as long as it is done.

8. saintrichie123

I was really hoping Jay would rediscover some of his pre injury form, but ATM he is nowhere near it.
    And If he shows no improvement in the next 4 weeks (until the window opens) then it's time to cut our losses and take the £11m but only if we have someone lined up.
    Don't know enough about Olomola so I would have a look at him in the Arsenal game in the cup next week, McQueen stepped up so why not Olomola.

9. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

£11m? As other have said, sell and reinvest. We're crying out for a striker.

10. Libby

Libby 9-0

I assume you're joking about playing him in the cup next week...

3 games from Wembley and you want to give him his first start? <yikes>

If you want to give him a start do it at Palace next week.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

What the hell happened with that quote <yikes>

Was meant to quote Richie...

12. saintrichie123

I thought that <laugh>

Good point maybe give him at least a half against Palace.

Libby likes this.
  13. Bill Hill

Bill Hill Well-Known Member

He should have gone on loan so we could assess whether he still had it. Instead we have messed about with him in and out the side and he looks off the pace and shot to pieces. Very poor from us. We put our eggs in the basket of a player returning from a career threatening injury rather than sorting it out properly in the summer and getting a striker in

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Lovelocum likes this.
  14. Libby

Libby 9-0

More importantly...

Who the hell is Bollobollo? <laugh>

saintrichie123 likes this.
  15. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

I was going to write the same a few days ago, he gives us more options going forward. would play Berti against top teams and McQueen in games where we will on the front foot

Le Saint likes this.
  16. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

In youth games mcqueen plays well on the right wing and has scored som e good goals, if valerie is not ready I would play McQueen in front of Martina

17. Libby

Libby 9-0

McQueen has done very well and suprised us all which has almost certainly put him ahead of Targett.

Bertrand, however is among the best LBs in the league and there is no way that McQueen should be ahead of him... in my opinion anyway.

18. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

I can see how his agent might recommend he has a stint at Saints to rehabilitate his reputation. It would be easy to move through the process: play a good season, contribute to team, up your value, and get a move. But don't fancy Saints being used in that way.

19. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

FOK - this is so silly mate. I was not Uppity at all. I just responded to your question. I asked a question back. No niggle or anything. Its is for posts like this that I spend less time on here. As soon as someone starts to have a discussion (that is all it was) too many people start throwing mud. Really, really silly and a shame.

I am just responding less and less to this type of post. If you can't have a debate without throwing mud mate, you shouldn't really post. It just comes across as though it is because I disagreed. that is all I did.

Now if you want to have a discussion, then let's do that. If not then then fine. If you do, have a think about one of my questions... the one about which games. When someone makes a statement like you did, it is fairly reasonable to ask for examples. I asked because I myself couldn't think of any goals that he was culpable for. When you reply that you can't either, it sort of suggests to me that maybe there aren't as many as you have in your mind. this is not a dig either, just a common sense theory. If you had replied and said "this goal" and "that goal" ... I would have said ,"Oh yes, I forgot those"... It isn't too much to suggest that you'd remember.

Now I think McQueen has been very good, however just because he is young and maybe his inexperience made us not expects his excellent arrival on the scene, I still think Bertrand gives us more, even if not at his usual high level. He is a very reliable defender who also offers something going forward.

Just let me know by PM if you can't be bothered to discuss it or here, and I'll leave it. No more digs needed fella.

20. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Sad to say I think we should sell jay. I suggested a loan to a team where he would definitely get game time and build confidence (NPC), but if hull or brom come in with 10m plus we have to sell.

We need another striker but we don't have to buy before we sell. He hasn't contributed at all so we're not really a striker down. I would be happier having 11m set aside for transfers and play 1 striker in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Actually hang on regardless of strikers please can we play that formation anyway?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.