1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Saints achieve Catergory 1 status

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Qwerty, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

2. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

So that means you can get all the best players from category II and lower academies for a pittance. Hurrah.

3. BassettSaint

BassettSaint Active Member

WOOOOOOOOOOOO <somersault><ok>:biggrin:<cracker><party><diva>

4. RickieLambertsGoldenBoot

RickieLambertsGoldenBoot Well-Known Member

Don't need to.

5. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Hey take your bitterness elsewhwere........We cannot help the fact that your own club chose not to go down this route. Also we have invested a lot to acheive this.

6. SaintLapras

I'm not talking about Portsmouth, I'm talking about the League 2 and non-league clubs who are going to get totally shafted by these stupid academy rules.

Why do people assume I'm always talking about Portsmouth?

7. kjhgfd34

kjhgfd34 Member

Crazy idea of investing in long term infrastructure rather than spending all income on building a team that'll be good for 1 or 2 years

8. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Or the best young players get to train at the best academies. Depends which way you look at it!

It must be announcement day because other clubs are also confirming their status, Stoke and Sunderland both are Category 1 so that previous announcement might be accurate.

Pompey are Category 3.

9. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Well I didn't think you were on about Portsmouth FC. Actually, I'm a bit surprised by Beddy's comments. He's normally far more laid back, being a Mod and all. Someone must have mentioned percentages one too often. ;)

FWIW, I think it stinks a bit as far as compensation to lower league clubs. It has been part of their major income to unearth raw talent and shape it. We'll see how it turns out, though I suspect it tips the scales just that little bit more in favour of the bigger clubs, or those with money. It helps them keep their money, and those with none stay with none. Which means those at the bottom stay at the bottom, etc... Not a competition leveller, is it..?

In the case of Saints getting Cat One status, I couldn't be more pleased. What a hypocrite, I am..! :)

10. Beddy

Maybe it is something to do with the fact you are a Pompey supporter?
    As for the academy..... nothing is going to change very much there anyway. Saints have always had a first class reputation for bringing on youngsters. They will attract youngsters just like they did before they brought in the distance rule. As far as fees go I wouldn't of thought it would be anything different to what it is today.
    Would you be calling the new academy rules stupid if your lot had such an academy? Somehow I don't think so, although no doubt you will deny that given your current circumstances. (By the way that is not meant as a dig just an observation)

11. Beddy

12. SaintLapras

Well yes I am but I don't always talk about Portsmouth and have an interest in lower league football (and not just because we'll be there soon!)

Well the majority of youth players probably aren't sold for much more than the compensation figures but there's still the odd player who's sold for several hundred thousand or more. Think of it this way, how much money would have got gotten for Walcott under this new academy system? or Oxlade-Chamberlain?

If the financial aspect was still the same, I'd call it stupid regardless of whether Portsmouth had a fantastic academy or not. I'm not so blinkered in my support for Portsmouth that I consider something that may be advantageous for Portsmouth over what's best for football as a whole or other clubs, particularly lower and non-league football where finances and team stability are a bit iffy at best. (Not saying anyone here is that blinkered either, I hasten to add.... and no I wasn't offended).

13. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Chamberlain was on a professional contract, so, um, probably the same? Why are you acting as if old academy rules stopped teams picking up youngsters for cheap - do you forget the massive fuss over the John Bostock deal?

14. Piebacca

Piebacca Well-Known Member

Fantastic news.

I have to say, the club's in the rudest health I've ever seen.<wizard>

15. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

If Pompey had invested in a youth setup instead of the over spend but quick success route, they probably would have had both Oxo and JWP who are both Pompey lads. Not having a go at Pompey , but these days smaller clubs (I do include Southampton in this group) need to have an accadamy to either supply players for the first team, or to sell to finance the club

16. Cardiff_Saint

Cardiff_Saint Active Member

I agree that the rules are stupid, and unfair on lower league teams but all the more important we got top status. The rules may be stupid, but as they are out of our control all we can do is make the best of them, and there's no denying that category 1 is the best place to be for Saints.

17. Piebacca

Piebacca Well-Known Member

Can a mod edit the thread title? The tpyo is irritating me.

18. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Coz we thought your Blue Few loyalty knows no bounds, at Southampton we are slowly getting a reputation for paying a fair whack for anyone that we purchase, despite bad mouthing by certain individuals.

19. tiggermaster

tiggermaster Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just an old fart.. but I seem to remember when Saints were in the ascendancy in the mid sixties and P...mouth were heading in the other direction.. Saints were developing Chivers, Channon and then Mills and Judd whilst P...mouth were doing away with their youth team as a cost cutting measure.. so what's new??

20. IMO Im ITK

IMO Im ITK Active Member

What category are Portsmouth in? <laugh>