1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Saints Academy Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Aug 18, 2014.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I agree...we now see ourselves as a top side (and others do too, including Wenger). Our standard of player has increased. However, the best we can hope for is a pretty good second keeper. We don't have the clout to convince a really good keeper to play back up....as proven by Boruc wanting out. So if Gazza could step up and improve, it would be good news for us.

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Wouldn't mind the guy up the other end today..! Mannone. :)

3. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

**Cough** I might change that opinion now. :)

No, I'm kidding. He's still a good keeper, despite today.

4. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

Dont know if Target was carrying a knock so could not play, but I thought the no.3 looked really good for the U21s.
    With Gazza he came into goalkeeping when he 17 or so, played in the PL after only 30pro games and was playing behind a defence that was somewhat sheelshocked and included Jos and Fox, pretty sure we would see a different Gazza if he had to play next week

5. Gregm88

Gregm88 Active Member

Has anyone on here watched a significant amount of our youth players?
    What our coaches think of their development chances will have a significant impact on future transfer policy. Who might be able to make it to fill the gaps?

If I think of some of the key gaps in the current squad:

Backup Goalie - I assume the hope is one of the youngsters will come good with the help of Watson and Davis. It will be hard for a club like us to recruit a decent GK to sit on the bench

Backup fullbacks - Dependent on the development of McCarthy and Targett (Targett looks good but isn't McCarthy mainly a central player?)

Backup attacking support (for Tadic, Long, Mane and Jay (if he stays)) - again depends on what is hoped for from players such as Isgrove, McQueen, Rowe and Sims. Many seem convinced Isgrove will not make it but I haven't seen comments on the others

Backup for Pelle - Will Gallagher be able to learn enough from Pelle to be able to play that kind of role? I haven't seen enough of him. Does he have more about him than height (which is usually a big bonus in youth level football)

We definitely seem like more of a club that will sign players that are good enough to step into the team (and shift existing ones down), rather than filling out the squad and wage bill will back up players (who will inevitably be on more than our youth).

This is an admirable approach but could it backfire? The one exception I would make (assuming my GK assumption is correct) is to bring in a back up striker who can play the hold up role like Pelle. In an ideal world you would find one with the pace/ability to potentially play out wide so that he wouldn't be looking at a bench role only (but I am not sure many such players exist)

6. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Dont forget Gallagher he's been injured but imo is a top prospect. Will have learned a lot from Rickie.

7. fran-MLs little camera

8. Gregm88

Gregm88 Active Member

I think goalies and central defenders need exeperience of actual competitive and physical play

9. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

10. fran-MLs little camera

11. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;60X3FfynfpM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60X3FfynfpM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

12. Gregm88

Gregm88 Active Member

Who from the academy is most likely to join the first team squad next?
    Will Stephens and Turnbull return from Swindon next season and move into back up for Clyne and replacement for Yoshida respectively?

I am interest about the wingers. Koeman clearly favours this style and the academy has several.
    Highest up seem to be Isgrove and McQueen. Many here seem to think Isgrove is not good enough and McQueen failed to make it on the pitch even when we were 4-0 up against Newcastle and Koeman was bringing off the wide players.

In addition to these two there are:

Rowe
    Sims
    Willard (who I assume is a winger)

Several players but will any make it. I haven't seen any of them play enough to judge

13. Sotonist

Sotonist Active Member

Not sure where best to put this, but seeing as Drew Surman looks to have found first team football at a successful club again, i had a look for other players of a similar saints academy vintage.

Tim Sparv is now on course to help FC Midtjylland to their first ever Danish Super Liga title. I thought that was pretty cool.

14. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

McCarthy: will probably be back up to Clyne soon. He can play rb/cb, but plays cb for the youth atm.
    Sims: can play on the wing or am, but I think he will get another year in the youth but may get in the first team now and again next season.
    Hesketh: same as Sims
    Willard: same as Sims
    Rowe: still needs to be more consistent and control the ball better before being called up.
    Turnbull or Stephens: I think will be fourth choice cb next season.
    Debayo: will be the next lb to look at.

If I had choose? I would say McCarthy or Stephens/Turnbull.

15. SAINTDON13

Under 18's won 2 1 away at Aston Villa. Ollie Cook and a Marcus Barnes penalty.

16. - Doing The Lambert Walk

[video=youtube;9-CFQ8yabI0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9-CFQ8yabI0[/video]

17. - Doing The Lambert Walk

[video=youtube;WLBTZk2uV-M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLBTZk2uV-M&feature=youtu.be[/video]

18. SAINTDON13

U21's beat Ipswich 1 - 0 tonight McQueen on the mark.

19. NockyNineDoors

20. - Doing The Lambert Walk

Great goal from Sam.