1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Safc beat off 10 premier league rivals to secure the leagues 8th all time highest scorer for Jozy

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by DAPARKERSAFC, Jan 13, 2015.

1. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I could go along with this if Gus would tweak his "system" now and again.

2. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Sunderland are set to sign Toronto striker Jermain Defoe, in a deal which is likely to see Black Cats misfit Jozy Altidore move in the opposite direction.

Various sources claim that Defoe's arrival on Wearside is imminent, with a three-and-a-half-year-deal worth £80k a week being reported in the Mirror.

Defoe moved to the Canadian side 11 months ago but recently returned to Europe to keep fit during the MLS close-season, alerting as many as 10 Premier League clubs to his services.

But the 32-year-old is now set for the Stadium of Light and could make his debut at former club Tottenham Hotspur this weekend.

Sunderland, who are managed by Defoe's former assistant manager at Spurs, Gus Poyet, currently lie a point and two places above the relegation zone, having scored 18 league goals all season.

The deal for Defoe is set to signal the end of Altidore's wretched 18-month spell in the Northeast. The USMNT striker has scored one league goal in 42 appearances for the Northeast club.

3. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

I just hope it comes off mate, this will be a big statement signing for us if it does happen.

C19RK73 likes this.
  4. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

This is what you originally put mate ;)

Please God no. Nowhere near in his prime and nowhere near as quick as he used to be. Spent too much time away from the league and would be a small step up from Jozy imo

Quite a big swing and genuinely curious as to what has changed your thought process on this potential transfer?

5. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Fulham's a prime example mate, right on the doorstep of some of the most expensive real estate in the world, yet it only attracts idiots. The people taking over the clubs may be rich but the intentions have to be right as well.

It's a shame for QPR that Fernandez isn't richer than he is, he has all the right intentions, despite hiring a fool to run the show.

6. Big Bad Wesley Brown

Big Bad Wesley Brown Well-Known Member

Totally agree mate. It's not our money after all, and even some of the lower ranked teams in this league are capable of throwing cash around, so we have to follow suit if we're going to compete.

7. Tel (they/them)

His scatter-gun approach to every transfer market will have owners running for the hills mate, I hope I never see him on the touchline again after QPR get rid of him, one way or another. He's a real bad-egg of a manager, hell bent on spending as much as possible, probably for his own (Rosie's) gains.

8. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

The only way this works is if Jozy's wages net off that £80k to something sensible. But these sorts of figures are usually miles out anyway.

9. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

Could be close to a P45 mate apparently.
    Bookies have him at evens to be next out.

erm.. Mr Ashley? <devil>

10. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

BBC are saying nothing is immenently about to happen!

That's just what I love about our british press, a complete lack of consistency!

11. Tel (they/them)

Glenn Hoddle will take the QPR job, he's been brought in for that reason anyhow.

I doubt Ashley and Redknapp are compatible though, one likes spending and the other well, hates it, hardly a match made in heaven.

Anyhow, they're a guaranteed 6 points per season for you lately, you don't want Redknapp taking them to down!

12. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Money mate. The money mooted was extortion. But £3m is nowt nowadays even with Jozy going the other way

13. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Something to do with usa international quotas at toronto is the only thing that could delay or scupper this deal as far as i can tell

14. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

I'm sceptical I have to admit. My opinion is in the balance here.

I totally agree that he is a country mile better than Josy and Graham, but is that the benchmark to be applied here?

At 32 he is at the wrong stage in his career. Does he still have it physically? He will also be more injury prone.
    Will he be committed to the club, or (like Andy Cole) flown in to grace us with his presence.

Also, we will be stuck with these wages when he is 35, and that is obviously going to be a barrier to signing other players.

I have read and agree with much of the positivity on here, but my thoughts above have alarms going off for me.

BackO'TheNet likes this.
  15. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Well this potential signing has sparked a lease of life on this board. Imagine what it could do to the stadium if he hits the goals quickly? 5 pages this morning tells me it will be a big signing.

16. grandpops

If he scores in the first 3 games he`ll be a brilliant signing.

If he doesn`t it`ll be a waste of money, should have got, sack Poyet/Congerton/the board, etc etc.

17. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Are suggesting a fickle nature form us Sunderland fans? Nooooooo! :emoticon-0136-giggl

18. andi1987

andi1987 New Member

I can only see positives if this goes through.

Defoe is a natural goalscorer of which, we have been missing since Bent. Just think of all the chances we have in front of goal, can anyone image Defoe missing some of the sitters that we have missed recently (consider the derby alone!)

If the wages are between £70-80k per week, this is great as effectivly it shows we are ready for next level players and hopefully more will follow. I am of the opinion that I really don't care what wages we pay the players as it doesn't effect me at all and most likely never will.

Plus plus for me :)

19. grandpops

OK 4 matches then.

Brian Storm likes this.
  20. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

From sky transfer page:

DEFOE UNDERGOES MEDICAL
    Jermain Defoe is having a medical at Sunderland, according to Sky sources.

C19RK73, grandpops and Deleted like this.