1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Safc beat off 10 premier league rivals to secure the leagues 8th all time highest scorer for Jozy

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by DAPARKERSAFC, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

Failure to mention also Pops, that Ashley's financial objective is to claw back the £250m of his own money, that he had to plunge into the club, as soon as he took over, to cover hidden debts.

Also failure to mention that business assets can only decline if they have a value in the first place. We swapped Defoe for Altidore who cost us £4.4 million on a 4 year contract, he is 1.5 years into the contract so his value on our asset list becomes £2.75 million, in a straight swap that equates to Defoe's value. £2.75 million for a proven goal scorer represents excellent value in any market.

Short and Congerton should be praised for this deal not pilloried <ok>

2. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

That's what I was trying to say :)

Are you suggesting fat Mike is a bit of a faggot with a penchant for young French footballers? shock horror, what will the press say if this gets out?

3. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

He has to write something and it`s not exactly all go over there.

Enjoy the jealousy mate. I am. :1980_boogie_down:

C19RK73 likes this.
  4. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

<laugh>
    Brilliant ^^^^^^^ thats him telt <laugh>

5. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Not suggesting anything mate ...... Riviere does seem to be trying to tell us something in this photo though

please log in to view this image

mackemwelder likes this.
  6. mackemwelder

I think
    they have been mate, just not by the idiot, jealous press ****ers from up the road.

Montysoptician likes this.
  7. grandpops

They are being praised mate, by those of us who matter.

The Lee Ryder clone who wrote the article doesn`t. Simple as that.

8. C19RK73

9. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

Looks strong with both feet and his movement is exceptional, hopefully others can use the space his movement creates and when he makes his runs our midfielders can find him <ok>

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    C19RK73 and Smug in Boots like this.
  10. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I looked for the option to click 'Giacherrini likes this' but there's none there ......... so I've liked your post instead <ok>

11. C19RK73

Jermain Defoe is eager to score plenty of goals for Sunderland having arrived from Toronto FC this week and already has Saturday's game against former club Tottenham firmly in his sights.

Defoe holds an incredible record, scoring on every debut he has made throughout his professional career and he believes if can keep it up the Black Cats are capable of getting an important Premier League win at his old stomping ground.

Defoe holds an incredible record, scoring on every debut he has made throughout his professional career and he believes if can keep it up the Black Cats are capable of getting an important Premier League win at his old stomping ground.

Giving an interview to safc.com, Defoe explained, "It's crazy how it happens, isnt it? It's going to be a tough game and I was at Tottenham for ten years and it is a great club, but there has been a lot of changes and a lot of new players there.

"I believe that if we go [to White Hart Lane] with good organisation and create and take our chances then we can win the game.

please log in to view this image

"As a forward you get judged for scoring goals and when you sign for a club that is what the fans will expect, especially when you have set high standards of doing that throughout your career. Hopefully I can play as many games as I can and I believe that if I get chances I will score goals.

The 32-year-old lasted less than 12 months in the MLS with Toronto, but although he enjoyed the experience he felt the pull of the Premier League was just too strong.

"It was good over there but, for me, the Premier League is the best in the world and when you step away from it, you realise how good it is. To be honest, I just missed it and I wanted to come back and be back in the Premier League, scoring goals."

12. mackemwelder

According to Gus, can't remember if it was in the Echo or on SAFC.Com, he said he is going to tweak his system to accommodate Defoe The Spurs game will probably be too early to make the necessary changes, but we'll probably see a different formation for the Burnley game.
    Fair play to him, he's accepted he needs to be more flexible in his approach and also prepared to make the changes to suit the personnel in the squad.

13. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Change or die comes to mind!

Tbf I think Gus has always intended to adapt his style. But his priority was to shore up the defence, which he has done. I guess he was hoping we'd be more successful up front but that gamble hasn't paid off so he's giving up on his failing strikers and buying in. He gave Mandron a run out last week. I'd like to see the lad given more game time with Defoe.

14. grandpops

I wouldn`t call it a gamble mate, more a question of priorities. Gus has got as many points on the board as he can and made us hard to beat, basically, without an attack. Now he`s doing something about about it.

Just my feeling.

Agree about Mandron. I think we may well see a bit more of him.

15. C19RK73

Cant wait for 3 o clock me like

16. mackemwelder

Yeh, I'd go along with that, if the kids hungry then he's worth a shot. Lets face it, he couldn't do any worse than Fletch and Wickham, they've hardly been scoring for fun have they?

He seems prepared to play the players in form, he obviously felt like DG deserved a game after watching him all week in training, same for Mandron. The kid must be doing something good in training to warrant a place in the bench, so why not?

17. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Well-Known Member

How old is the Rev?

18. C19RK73

Football and the Internet were always a match made in heaven. One provokes opinions with impassioned and vast variety, the other provides a free platform upon which they can be shared and endlessly debated.

It really doesn't matter if you've got a social media account, a message board membership, an amateur blog or call journalism your profession, your opinion can always find a home if it wants one.

Since it became clear that Sunderland were swapping Jozy Altidore for Jermain Defoe, it has sparked discussions far further afield than Wearside. Everyone has their own take on it, and even seeking the views of rival Premier League bosses on the subject was a regular feature at pre-game press conferences up and down the country this week.

There seems to be a myriad of little sub-arguments in that: Will Defoe fit Gus Poyet's system? Is he too far past his best to justify the cost? Is he still motivated? Does he need a strike partner?

There is no shortage of misinformation out there too. Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert confidently declared to the assorted press that he wouldn't have paid Defoe an £80k p/w wage, for example. Cheers Paul, but it's not strictly relevant to the discussion since Sunderland aren't either.

The same can be said of the 'reported' - and for that read 'misinterpreted' - £14million transfer fee. Put as big or small a number you want on it, but the fee is Jozy Altidore.

That, for me, is the crux of the matter. Sunderland are swapping a player with practically no value to them for one who potentially could.

There will come a time for a more reflective debate on Jozy Altidore's Sunderland spell, probably when he's starring in the MLS soon, but for now you can't say he's ever justified his presence on Wearside.

He's been a trier and fair play to him in that regard. He has never hidden during his struggles, though they had started to visibly take their toll I think.

However, let's be brutally honest about this. Defoe may not be the player he was at his peak, but he doesn't need to be to make this a hell of a deal. From the second he scores his first goal for Sunderland, he has justified any risk involved. From the moment his second goal hits the back of the net, he has justified his arrival by surpassing his predecessor.

We can analyse possibly formations and agonise over exact figures we'll never know and probably won't ever be asked to subsidise all we want, but this is a risk-free high-reward deal. The very worst case scenario is we have a non-scoring striker struggling to contribute - the exact same situation we'd have been in with Altidore anyway.

On the other hand, Sunderland could just have added a genuine goal threat to their side; a player who can score out of nothing and turn a couple more of those many draws into wins. Given Jermain Defoe's previous record, you'd have to say that looks considerably more likely.

grandpops likes this.
  19. Bexinio

Bexinio Well-Known Member

Like most things in life the answers to all the questions will come in time. At the end of the season if we are still in the premiership then I would view this as great signing. I'm a little disappointed that I've heard we aren't probably doing any more business as I think we have 1 loan left and some more pace on the flank could really help Defoe.

20. C19RK73

I cant see us not utilising the extra loan tbh, would be silly