1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Safc beat off 10 premier league rivals to secure the leagues 8th all time highest scorer for Jozy

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by DAPARKERSAFC, Jan 13, 2015.

1. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

If the club can make the numbers work then that's there business. The Important thing for me is squad improvement, Defoe will definitely improve our squad, Altidore going in the other direction also improves our squad.

Not signing a proven striker will be suicidal for a team in our predicament. 14 Million for a proven striker is small money in the EPL, we were apparently prepared to pay that for Borini, who imo isn't a "Proven" striker.

2. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I never pay heed to these figures in the media .......... and, to be honest, I don't care.

3. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Anyone who pulls on the shirt will have my backing..

4. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

Always the same Smug. Complaining about not spending while at the same time suggesting completely unrealistic targets.

Can`t see the quoted figures being right though. Look at bit high to me but, of course, it is the Sun. <doh>

5. Smug in Boots

The cost of relegation, this season, could be beyond our imagination.

Not only would we miss out on TV & gate revenue, we'd be having a fire sale and losing players like PVA, Giacherrini, Fletcher, AJ, Cattermole. We'd also lose out on the goodwill from a Wembley appearance and a good appointment by Newcastle could see a whole few years of NE kids opting for NUFC as they did when Keegan arrived.

Unless this one signing bankrupts the club, and it won't, I don't give a monkey's tbh.
    Someone was saying we had £70 million of funds, which I doubt, so I'd say we can afford a few signings.

6. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

I am very happy with this deal (if it comes off). First natural scorer since Bent. Remains to be seen how he fits in or what formation we use now but I would have been/will be gutted if he goes to another premiership club. May not be a big fan of his personally but always rated him as a goal scorer.

7. Smug in Boots

Football supporters would accept Fred West if he banged a few goals in .......... we'd get over it <ok>

8. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Age shmage, I'd take a 32 year old Defoe over a 22 (or however old he is) Borini any day of the week. The fact is, he's a goal getter, proven and will give you something that you don't have, which is an intelligent striker (sorry).

Fletcher is a good instinctive finisher, but I said before you signed him, he lacks the intelligence to move in the box. This fella won't lack that, he'll be in the right place, every time, guaranteed.

Not a long term fix, but will turn them draws into wins, in my opinion.

farnboromackem likes this.
  9. Tel (they/them)

Rumour has it, he was a natural goalscorer, he buried them for fun.

10. Smug in Boots

<laugh>

Sky must hate Sunderland.

Just flicked on to see what's happening and the yellow banner says summat like,

"Sky sources understand that Sunderland are in talks with Defoe ........ but the deal has NOT been agreed!"

Of course it hasn't been agreed if we're still in ****ing talks.

They're desperate for QPR to step in, I bet they're on the phone to Redknapp now <doh>

Didn't he end up in the stiffs <doh>

11. grandpops

please log in to view this image

Dispicable_Tel likes this.
  12. Tel (they/them)

He plays second fiddle nowadays in goals, he's not as agile as he once was. Repetitive strain injury on his back supposedly from all the digging.

13. mackemwelder

What are the alternatives if Defoe doesn't sign?

Danny Ings? would take him as a long term investment but can't see him making the Impact we need.

Borini? again, not going to make a massive impact in terms of goals but knows the system and would be an improvement to the squad? but 11m -14m? no thanks. I would take him as well as Defoe, but not as an alternative.

Defoe will get us goals, pay the money and do the deal Ellis.

14. Smug in Boots

Good points mate.

January is an expensive time to buy ......... but the summer could be too late.

15. mackemwelder

Say's it all really doesn't it.

16. Smug in Boots

It says Jozy has a beergut when you look at Defore <doh>

17. mackemwelder

We can't afford to wait till the summer Smug, in fact we could be in the clarts in a couple of weeks on current form. We got out of it last season because of the new manager influence, not so sure he could pull it off again and as you've rightly said, that would be catastrophic in terms of revenue and the inevitable mass exodus. Relegation would set us back around 5 years. If Defoe gets us goals and helps turn the draws into wins, the reported fee of 14m is chicken feed.

I might be wrong but doesn't Sky pay 35 million to each EPL team? or is it 85m?

18. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

My opinion, too pal. He's an 'orrible little bastard, but we need an 'orrible little bastard in our team right now - aggression, clinical and will to win, esp one with his all-round striking abilities, which complements what we already have. He could teach Fletch and Connor a thing or two, and both could play off him, as could our more attacking midfielders.

This deal makes so much sense all round, I'm not sure I can believe we're trying to pull it off, let alone (hopefully) going to.

19. mackemwelder

I can't knock him for that, I've got one of them<doh> saying that, I don't earn my living as a footballer.

20. grandpops

Shorts US connections might help with that but I still won`t believe it until I see "done deal".