1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Safc beat off 10 premier league rivals to secure the leagues 8th all time highest scorer for Jozy

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by DAPARKERSAFC, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Meniscus

Meniscus Active Member

Exactly Vince. I think Jozy's had enough chances at this level and simply doesn't cut it. A 32yo Defoe is more than ok for us.

Vincemac likes this.
  2. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

As much as I dislike Defoe as a person, he is a proven goal scorer at this level and god knows we need one

3. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

no brainer, pal

4. Bizarreknives

Bizarreknives Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I for one am very pleased with this news, could be another Quinn and SuperKev if he hits it off with either Fletcher or Wickham. Wont be as prolific obviously but I like a big man little man partnership.

5. password invalid

password invalid Well-Known Member

he gets his foot in where it counts ask craig gordon

6. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

At this stage I'm not interested is cost, statistics, systems or tactics ....... that will be sorted if he signs.

What I am pleased about is that it's significant for 3 reasons,

It will give everyone a lift, from the fans to the squad, the likes on Ings wouldn't have the same effect.
    It demonstrates that Poyet can adapt and isn't restricted to one system.
    It shows the doom mongers that Short, and the club, are prepared to shell out for the right players.

Oh yes, and it will be a kick in the teeth for one of Liverpool's fringe players <laugh>

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  7. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Hope it works out for us..

8. HorsleyHillCat

HorsleyHillCat Well-Known Member

I think it may be a panic buy, we've been through this before, but, you never know, it might just work,. I hope so!

9. Smug in Boots

There's a big difference with Defoe and a foreigner or someone likes Rhodes.

We know, for certain, that Defoe can score in the Premier League.

10. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Not a signing that thrills me as 1) he is a southerner with no affiliation to any club outside London and 2) has been away from EPL too long.

It smacks of panic if what the gossip and newspaper talk is anywhere near true.

11. Smug in Boots

A bit like that Kevin Phillips fella, whatever happened to him?

Then there was Bent .............

12. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

But did they not start out at Soton and Ipswich before drifting into non-league for a while. Both hungry for first team football which may not be the case with DeFoe.

13. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Just cos he has spent his career in London doesn't mean he isn't prepared to travel. I might be wrong but I don't remember ever reading any quotes from him saying he wants to stay down London or even go elsewhere. Are we not just assuming that's how he feels?

14. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

He used to be a very good player. Whether or not he still is remains to be seen. Even past his best he would be an improvement on what we have.

70k a week sounds a lot of money but that wouldn`t be the wage bill increase. The increase would be 70k-Jozys wage assuming he goes the other way.

Any player who can put the ball in the bloody net a few times between now and May would be welcome.

15. Smug in Boots

I'd say that Defoe's willingness to leave the country, to play first team football, might indicate that he's happy to live a few hours norf ..........

mackemwelder likes this.
  16. mackemwelder

Exactly, and if he gets us up the table a couple of places by the end of the season then the extra money for doing so will cover his wages. At the end of the day, I'm not really interested in what any particular player costs, if the club can make the numbers work then get the deal done. I'm more interested in what he or any other player for that matter has to offer the team.

Personally I think he's a massive improvement over Altidore and probably Wickham and Fletcher also.

17. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

Sunderland to sign Defoe from Toronto for £14 million: FormerEngland andTottenham Hotspur striker Jermain Defoe will make a sensational return to the Premier League after The Sun revealed that the striker will sign for Sunderland. According to the tabloid, Defoe has already agreed a £14 million deal to return to English football with the Black Cats “and the former England star could make his Sunderland debut on Saturday — at old club Tottenham.”

Paper Round’s view: This is far from a thunderbolt out of the blue as Defoe has recently been linked with a number of Premier League clubs after failing to settle in the MLS. He has been training with Spurs Under-21 squad in preparation for the new season. Relegation-threatened Sunderland could certainly do with someone of Defoe’s calibre, as Gus Poyet’s side having netted just 18 goals this season. Although it seems a hefty fee, the paper’s view that Jozy Altidore could be involved in an exchange deal makes this a possibility. Furthermore, this transfer suits all parties involved, Sunderland get a proven Premier League striker, Toronto FC get a designated player off their books and Altidore gets the opportunity to rebuild his career in the US.

18. Smug in Boots

If a Hull, QPR or Palace made this signing there'd be people, like Ultimate Mackem, screaming that we were showing no ambition and not prepared to spend money .......... if this comes off there'll be non-stop moaning about the fee, the wages, his dedication to the club, etc.

19. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I don't rallky want Defoe here ut if it means getting rid of Altidore then I am all for it!! Sad reality of the current situation!

We need better than this though

Absolutely agree smug but there is no way we are signing him for that much. More paper bullshit

edit: Having reread the express article... It's £3m plus Altidore. How the **** do they get that Altidore is worth £11m????????? Effectively its a paper making up ****e numbers to make the story get people interested and wound up!! To me... £3m plus Altidore = £1.5m!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  20. mackemwelder

And Defoe gets a chance to prove his doubters wrong and show he can still score goals in the big league. Win, Win for us I'd say.