1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

SAFC Badge

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Mackem-Tiz, Nov 18, 2023.

1. Mackem-Tiz

Mackem-Tiz Well-Known Member

Keep the current? Change to the one used 77 to 91 (blue background) or the black background which was 91 to 97.
    Or a different one... personally I prefer the blue background 77 to 91.

Ronsafc, Young Ted, ISOE II and 3 others like this.
  2. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Doesn't bother me too much this one. I don't buy a great deal of merch and the bairn has only known the new one. We have retro ranges of clobber with the old badge on and a few teams have different badges on their home and away kits. Why can't we have both? (I'd go with the blue one)

I'd have the blue one marked out in the seats in the Roker as well just like the new badge is in the East stand.

And change the corners back to red seats.

Mackem-Tiz and Robertson like this.
  3. Robertson

Robertson Well-Known Member

The blue ship badge is my favourite but using that one and the new badge is a good shout. Best of both worlds, then.

I wouldn’t like us to go down the simplified new badge route like Juve have done.

4. Mackem-Tiz

Not sure why but I agree with changing the corners back to red seats.
    But imagine the 77/91 badge on the East stand seats!

Oliver's Army likes this.
  5. Oliver's Army

It's just little things, the seats were red when the SoL opened so that's what I remember and like, some going for the first time now will only know it having white corners. Some won't remember the ship badge having the blue, only the black version.

I really like the old SAFC vertical italic letters from way back as well so wouldn't mind a nod to that on the exterior of the stadium somewhere.

Mackem-Tiz and Robertson like this.
  6. Mackem-Tiz

Problem is a lot of us are "old school" and the younger ones will prefer the "Penshaw" badge. I just personally think the blue badge would be a massive seller and would look great on the East stand seats.

Robertson and Oliver's Army like this.
  7. Oliver's Army

It would be a big seller, no reason why they can't put it on the kits. I'd like a bit of blue in it for the Co Durham roots. I don't think there are any rules that say we have to have a certain crest on certain tops.

They could put the new badge on the 73 cup winning shirt in theory.

8. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Well-Known Member

The ship badge is SAFC for me. As I have said before if we could add in a nod to our mining heritage that would be brilliant.

I spent hours as a kid trying to draw the ship badge, that's probably not a thing now, but would a kid even attempt our current effort

Young Ted, Nordic, Daz and 2 others like this.
  9. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I've liked all of our badges so I'd struggle to decide tbh and the new one has grown on me more and more ...

... whatever the case it's way better than Newcastle's, what a shambles that is <laugh>

10. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I would like a move back to the blue ship badge. I have said this before but I think it came from a golden age of badges. Simple, colourful, meaningful, recognisable.

As an exile of a certain age every bugger I drink with in Derbyshire recognises that badge. Not all recognise the new one.

Did an age test on my youngun that is up and down the country supportimg derby. He said the old badge is class, loads better. Mind he is a proper chip off the old block in terms of his 80s clothes and look so I often wonder if he isnt an imposter.

Robertson likes this.

11. Downeys Loup

Downeys Loup Well-Known Member

The ship has huge historical relevance but for newer supporters and pretty much anyone under 40 the ship probably means nothing. If we are to change the badge it needs to be made current and relevant (and not a Nissan Qashqai in place of the ship).

cumbrianmackem likes this.
  12. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

The ship badge for me, it’s not necessarily about nostalgia either I just think it’s a better design. I actually think it looks more modern than the current one now which may seem a bit odd. There’s a reason it looks better as a logo on retro shirts and the new training gear, it’s simpler and cleaner.

Design wise I’ve always thought there is too much going on with the current badge and it’s to similar to others, like those up the road.

Nathan Brazil and Mackem-Tiz like this.
  13. Downeys Loup

Downeys Loup Well-Known Member

14. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Bring back the blue ship badge. By far the best one we’ve had. I easily identify to/with it.

stick it on a Hummel shirt and I’ll be thrilled

15. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Loved the blue badge, I've ordered a copy of the hummel blue shirt from Grim Up North

DH4 likes this.
  16. The Professor

The Professor Well-Known Member

I like love the ship badge & tend more to buy the retro shirts....loads love the ship badge & crave it back, it reminds us all of the days at Roker, although i did miss out on the big Roker end days starting in 85.... however does this cry for it back relate to a certain age (or mainly) group who grew up & associate that badge being the club.

If we change our badge another 20 years may see a cry for the current badge back as that was the one we moved into the SOL with & sadly more of us associated with the old badge will be gone

Was before me, for those who were around, was there outcry when we moved to the ship badge? only a few years earlier the badge has association with out last major trophy

Not sure the solution but maybe they all need recognition.... certainly whatever badge we have should be embroidered on not this stick on ****e

17. steesafc

steesafc Well-Known Member

This current badge has represented the club since I was 7. Keep it. I think it could be modernised or simplified as you see clubs doing.

18. Mackem-Tiz

I think it's too fussy tbh and a bit generic.

Young Ted and Blond Bombshell like this.
  19. Monkey69

Monkey69 Well-Known Member

I like all the badges and I also like the Itallic writing and feel as though there is a lot of people that want a more simplified badge. I am not against that but think a mixture of the two would be nice even though the same kind of problems will come up with everybody having an opinion on what is important.
    • The bridge
    • Mining
    • Penshaw monument
    • shipbuilding
    • Adding blue to the badge
    and I am sure there are a few more that people would like represented, for me I like the badge we have but feel it should have some reference to the old badges on there so maybe a slightly improved design on what we have but it is not something that I feel really strongly about.

Blond Bombshell and Robertson like this.
  20. Robertson

Robertson Well-Known Member

I’m not sure about writing this but the club could open a competition to design a new badge. Amateurs and professional welcome. People with limited drawing skills could enter as the idea will be as important as how polished the design is - a good idea can easily be tidied up.

rooch 3 and Young Ted like this.