1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Russian doping. Damning report.

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Eamon Holmes, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Eamon Holmes

Eamon Holmes Well-Known Member

Just seen the press conference by the World Anti-doping Agency and its report on Russian Olympic doping.

Bloody hell. Goes right to the top including successors to the KGB.

They will have to be banned from the Olympics and probably beyond as there is evidence of doping in other sports.

Such a shame for all clean Russain sportsmen and women.
    Sad for all those who were beaten by Russian cheats at previous Olympics and didn't have the opportunity to celebrate a medal at the time even if they are awarded one in retrospect.
    Sad that this year's Olympics is devalued by the absence of clean Russia athletes.

Putin is a slug.

KPDHoopster likes this.
  2. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

This is who I feel sorry for - all those years of training and then to lose the chance of a medal, or to be downgraded in medal status, because of drug taking cheats.

They should consider stripping all Russian athletes of previous medals for as far back as this scandal is likely to have stretched...which probably means going back at least to Olga Korbut

3. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

This is the most surprising thing I've seen since the red man turned green and everyone suddenly started crossing the road this morning.

NorwayRanger, Uber_Hoop and Stroller like this.
  4. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Why has it taken so long when we all knew about it years ago, why are they still hosting the World Cup and why is blatter not in jail

kiwiqpr likes this.
  5. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Blatter is not behind bars because of all the bribes and bungs he has taken he can afford good lawyers

6. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

I guess that the rewards these days out way the risks. Even for amateur sportsmen and women with sponsorship and endorsement deals. Take our own Jess Ennis-Hill for example, she appears in adverts, is on the cover of most magazines and is probably worth a fortune. If she repeatedly finished fourth in competitions most people would be saying Jess who? The prize for winning is that great that the temptation to give themselves a little boost is far too great for some.

7. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Olga Korbut was definitely on drugs. When she bent over backwards you could clearly see her crack.

GoldhawkRoad likes this.
  8. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

This has been going on for decades,all throughout the 70's and 80's the entire Eastern block were taking drugs. I remember seeing a programme about the Romanian women's gymnastic team just before Nadia Commanech came on the scene,shocking.Every member of the team was put on steroids at the age of 11 ! ,and people wondered why they were dominating.More recently we've had the Chinese women swimmers,exactly the same,it's nothing new. I recall watching an East German hammer thrower in the 1980 Moscow Olympics and thinking something's not right here,she was twice the size of Geoff Capes and had a bigger beard !

Hoops Eternal likes this.
  9. KPDHoopster

KPDHoopster Well-Known Member

Agree with most comments here, drugs have been rife in many sports for decades.
    The cheats are always one step ahead of the detection process.

I have always wondered why more effort isn't placed on fining the companies that make these drugs, as Hoops Eternal says, the temptation for athletes is extremely strong, if temptation was removed or severely restricted ?
    Fix the problem at the source - but think I know the answer ?? Money, wouldn't be surprised if these companies were bribing officials ??

10. Chaz

Chaz Well-Known Member

I think the legal standpoint on fining a drug company for producing drugs that work, would be a very tough sell in court.

You've got to go nuclear deterrent on this - zero tolerance, and make the consequences far outweigh the benefits.

11. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

What are the chances that the IOC completely bottle it and allow the Russians compete despite the whole world realising it is time something was done about this problem? I bet there are plenty in the IOC taking bribes too. They are just as corrupt as FIFA.

12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Some of the drugs that are used treat legitimate medical conditions. It is the people who prescribe or procure them for 'off label' use who should be fined. If the companies involved actively promote a drug for use in an area where it has no regulatory approval they will have the crap fined out of them.

13. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

Pretty good I'd say,they haven't got the balls to see this through.They're scared ****less of Putin's reprisals if they do. I want to know what's going to happen when a Russian athlete wins a gold medal,all hell is gonna break loose ! Ridiculous state of affairs.

finglasqpr likes this.
  14. IwasanotherwatfordR

IwasanotherwatfordR Well-Known Member

Why can't they all be allowed to just take drugs? It would then be a level playing field. The drug companies would probably develop better drugs, some of which might even go on to cure illnesses and it would all be paid for by Sky and advertising for gambling companies - great. The athletes would become well paid guinea pigs - which is better than the present situation where they get paid (often funded by us, the tax payer) for merely doing their hobby. Anyway, is drug taking in sport any more crooked than making, say, a Somalian (Mo Farah) or African (Zola Bud) or Canadian (that overly happy but largely useless tennis player with the big grin) very suddenly British? I think this would be really good for sport and add another dimension to what are particularly, dull as fukk athletics, akin to Ferrari vs Mercedes we could have Pfizer vs Glaxo in whose supplements and steroids are the best.

15. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

You mean rusedski wasn't on drugs

kiwiqpr likes this.
  16. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

One thing the Russians hate is losing face in public. This is HUGE for them and Putin will not let it rest. As Robocop said, 'There will be...trouble'.

17. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

The worst thing is that smarmy git Coe knew all about this before he was elected, he said nothing because of 'diplomacy'...

18. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Can we morph this thread into a broader Rio Olympics one?

US lady hurdler breaks world record at the meet in London but not going to Olympics as she did not make the first 3 in the US trials. Gaitlin, the serial drugs cheat, criticises Jamaica's selection of Ussain Bolt, the greatest sprinter and probably one of the greatest Olympians of all time, because he was injured for their trials. Bolt laughs it off.

Can we agree in advance that when plucky British competitors don't get gold in Rio, they will have been the victims of drugs cheats? Saves a bit of time.

Looking at the London Olympic stadium on the telly, firstly they have a lot of work to do to get it ready for football and secondly it doesn't look like it will be a very good footy stadium to me, very shallow stands. Looks much better from the outside.

19. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Just reading reports that Russia will be banned from the Olympics in Brazil and some are asking them to be banned from the next Winter Games in South Korea as well.

I wonder how they will react to this news?

20. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Surely clean athletes can only be upgraded in these circumstances?