1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Rumours and Potential signings

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Jun 17, 2020.

1. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Under 24 years compensation has been agreed between the clubs

2. old timer

Pablo Martinez has joined Oxford City on a 3 month loan

3. old timer

Abu Agogo has joined Dagenham and Redbridge on loan until January, he spent 6 years at the club between 2009 - 2015

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

He isn't in our squad list so he either was going to literally do nothing for a season or drop out of the football league to play on loan at a non league club, who are still allowed to sign players. I think this is a good decision for Abu. Personally, I rate him more than Upson. He offers fight and determination which we sometimes lack. It's a shame he is deemed surplus but moving away on loan will put him back in the window for January to find a new club.

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

The rules are, if a player has come from a development squad and is still under a certain age, if his parent club offers him a new contract and he refuses that contract and leaves on a free and then joins another club, that new club would have to pay a compensation fee to the former club. If the parent club hadn't offered a new contract and just allowed him to leave on a free, then no compensation is needed from the new club. Sometimes the 2 clubs can't agree a fee. In those circumstances it goes to a tribunal.

In our case, Koiki was in Burnley's development team and under a certain age and was offered a new contract by Burnley, which he rejected and left on a free. This means, whoever signs him would have to pay compensation to Burnley. Whatever compensation we offered was agreed by Burnley.

We could have got compensation for Lockyer as he came through our youth ranks and we offered him a new contracted which he rejected. But because he was over the certain age, we wasn't entitled to compensation.

Bluebaldee likes this.
  6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

The reason why there was delays in signing Koiki was because the compensation fee had to be sorted and then we had to get clearance from the FA or the Football League as the compensation fee was agreed after the transfer window closed. Clearance was needed because we didn't sign a player out of contract. We signed a player out of contract which a compensation fee was needed. 2 different things apparently.

old timer likes this.
  7. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Would have thought he can do a lot better than Daggers.

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Yeah but it was too late for a L1 or L2 club to sign him as the window ended. Non league can still sign players. So he had to drop to that level or not actually play any games until January and that's if someone signs him then. He has played before for the Daggers so probably a club close to his heart. A bit like when Lines joined us in non league. Doubt he would have moved to that level for any other club.

9. old timer

Tom Mehew has teamed up with Lucas Tomlinson at Bath City on loan until January 9th

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Bristol Rovers making enquiries on strikers as Paul Tisdale looks to shape squad in January:

Paul Tisdale is closing in on six weeks in the Bristol Rovers job, and he is looking to add more attacking firepower in the January transfer window.

Bristol Live understands Rovers have made enquires about the availability of strikers with trading to begin in three days' time. The Gas have only three senior strikers on the books, and only Brandon Hanlan and Jonah Ayunga are available over the festive period with James Daly nursing an ankle injury.

Ayunga's maiden League One campaign has been blighted by a hamstring injury after joining from Havant & Waterlooville in the summer, only recently returning to the fold. Former Gillingham forward Hanlan, as a result, has had to shoulder the scoring burden and he tops Rovers' chart with seven goals from 17 appearances in all competitions.

Scoring has proven a real struggle for the Gas in League One in particular, with 18 goals scored in 17 league games. Only Wigan Athletic and Northampton Town have netted fewer goals, and although Rovers have generally posed a greater attacking threat since Tisdale's arrival, the manager and director of football Tommy Widdrington believe they need to bolster their options.

It is understood the club are seeking strikers with League One experience.

When asked about his plans for January, Paul Tisdale replied "The window gives me opportunity and if we need to strengthen or we’ve got injuries, or we identify we’ve got a certain type of player we need to find, it will give me a chance. We’ve got a month ahead of us to do that and I’ll be doing everything I can to improve the team, and the way it plays, the best way possible."

Another area the club is understood to be eager to recruit is right-back. Captain Max Ehmer, predominantly a centre-back, has performed well out of position on the right of the defence, but Rovers are assessing potential signings. Josh Hare is an out-and-out wing-back who has suffered from the shift from a back three to a four-man defence, while veteran right-back Mark Little has missed plenty of action with calf injuries over the past 12 months.

Between the posts, Rovers are in a similar situation to last January with star goalkeeper Anssi Jaakkola facing a period on the sidelines. The Gas moved in the loan market to bring in Jamal Blackman from Chelsea until the end of the campaign, and he impressed with four clean sheets in 10 appearances.
    At the time, Rovers were also considering experienced Cardiff City keeper Joe Day, but opted for Blackman – now at Championship Rotherham United. He cost Rovers nothing in wages and loan fees.

The Gas could take a similar route in this window with Finland international Jaakkola nursing an Achilles problem that will rule him out for several games, or they may yet put their faith in his understudy Jordi van Stappershoef. The Dutchman has delivered mixed performances in Jaakkola's absence in recent weeks, showing inconsistencies typical of a young goalkeeper but Rovers will ponder whether they can afford errors in that position with Tisdale's side hovering above the relegation zone.

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

So going by the above article, Rovers are looking for strikers, a right back and a keeper.

We have a limit of a 23 man squad which was full. U21's don't count towards this. We have let go JML, sending him back to Derby. So we have a 22 squad right now. If we are looking for an experience striker (as the article suggest), he won't be u21 so he will be the 23rd man in the 23 man squad. I am presuming a RB and Keeper will also be over 21 so this means, at least 2 players need to leave.

So which 2 goes?

I hope we keep Oztumer as he is creative. I hope we keep McCormick as he has played well and works hard. Both are currently in the 23 man squad as not u21. We have 4 LB's so I presume 1 of them will go. All 4 are over 21. I know Koiki has been used more in attack but that still leaves 3 LB's so 1 will still have to go I think. We have 5 CB's and if you add Grant who can play there too, that's 6.

If it was me, I would let Kelly go and I don't really rate Harries so he can go too.

I would also have Ogogo back. Not sure who I would sacrifice though to be able to add Ogogo back in the 23 man squad.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  12. old timer

CJS I dont know how accurate FM is but I have just started to play FM21 and you can only register 22 players over the age of 21 all under 21s dont have to be registered.

I believe we need a backup GK as the flying Dutchman didn't as I understand those that watched game say he wasn't the standout player.

Leahy I believe is out of contract at the end of the season if that is true maybe we could cash in as well as having an empty slot for a new striker

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  13. old timer

According to Bristol Live Charlton are looking to recall Erhun Oztumer and move him on in January transfer window, the downside to that plan however is that you can only play for 2 clubs in any one season unless you go to somewhere like MLS which doesn't start until the spring, and Oztumer has played for both Charlton his parent club and the Rovers so he would not be able to play in this country again this season

14. old timer

GK Joe Day has arrived on loan until the end of the season

15. old timer

Gavin Reilly has terminated his contract with Carlisle by mutual consent, reading the article on Sky transfer rumours he looks to be heading back to Scotland

Signed an 18month contract with Livingston

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  16. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

good signing says I.

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

18. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Abu Ogogo is back in the Rovers fold and Tisdale states that he will be selecting him over the second half of the season.

Good news! I never really understood why Garner froze him out - a hard working experienced midfielder is always a good option to have.

Welcome back Abu!

19. old timer

Tom Davies has joined Barrow on loan for the rest of the season, as he is out of contract then we might have seen the last of him with his injury record counting against him, would rather have a fit Davies instead of Baldwin

Rovers are being linked with Northampton Town's 6ft 5in striker Harry Smith according to Gloucester Live

Rovers have also made a contract offer to Armand Gnanduillet and Jaydon Stockley though the latter is unlikely unless PNE pay some of his salary as it would be unlikely given the wage cap now in place.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Bluebaldee likes this.
  20. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

I’d be happy with either Stockley or Gnanduillet - both are big and mobile and scored goals at Exeter and Blackpool respectively.

Tisdale has worked with Stockley before so it could be a possible move.