1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Rumours and Potential signings

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Jun 17, 2020.

1. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Byron Anthony has signed for the Rovers as a Academy coach, if he is half as good as a coach as he was as a player he will be a great asset to the coaching team

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Former fan-favourite defender Byron Anthony has returned to rovers as an academy coach. The 36-year-old played 190 games for the Gas, scoring 10 goals across a six-year spell which ended in 2012.

The former centre-back retired in 2014 after stints with Hereford United and Newport County, and has since moved into coaching roles with the Exiles and Swansea City. He left his role with the Swans earlier this month but swiftly joined Rovers' youth setup in a part-time capacity following discussions with academy manager Chris Hargreaves and head of coaching Adrian Harvie.

Anthony told Bristol Live....
    ”I spoke to Aidy and Chris and I started working with the academy Monday last week. It happened quite quickly, but good to be back involved trying to support the development of the players. I hold the club really dearly to my heart because I spent some good years there and when the opportunity came up I jumped at it. I’m looking forward to it and we’ll see what happens. Hopefully at some stage I will be able to come in full time. I know over the past few years some players have come through and we’re trying to develop our own within the city. Hopefully we can get them through the academy and into the first team.”

Anthony recently passed his UEFA Pro Licence and is working with Rovers’ under-14s. He hopes the coaching skills he has amassed since retirement coupled with his extensive experience playing in the blue and white quarters can provide guidance and inspiration to Rovers burgeoning young talents.

Anthony left Rovers eight years ago when he was released by Mark McGhee, and he is “delighted” to be back. Anthony said...
    “It was quite a quick departure in 2012 after spending six really good years with the club. I imagined I would go on and finish my career there even though it was early days and I was only 28. It’s a great club and there are some great people involved. The fans are absolutely fantastic, they were really warm and welcoming when I arrived and supported me through my journey with the club. I really enjoyed my time and I’m delighted to be back involved working with some of the players there, and who knows what the future holds, let’s see what happens.”

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Marcus Maddison has joined Charlton on a free from Peterborough. Not saying we would have came to us but that is a striker I feel would have took us out of trouble.

Danny Rose has left Mansfield and joined tomorrows opponents Northampton. That is a good signing too. Maybe not what we wanted but a good signing nonetheless.

I know Leon Clarke is 35 but even he would have been a good signing, offers valuable experience to the likes of Ayunga and would have been a threat at our level, especially from the bench. He has joined Shrewsbury.

5. old timer

Ipswich have signed Keanan Bennetts from Borussia Monchengladbach on a season long loan

6. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Looks like frozen-out Mr Bennett could be on his way.

According to the Post he’s off on loan to Ollie’s Grimsby. That’ll save us a few shekels.

7. old timer

Does the loan window shut tonight or is it just the transfer window

8. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Tonight is the Premier League transfer/loan window shutting. In the lower leagues ours shuts next Monday.

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  9. old timer

Thankyou Bluebaldee

10. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Not intruding but~
    When is the second transfer deadline?
    The second transfer window closes 11 days later, on Friday, October 16.

What business can clubs conduct during the second window?
    Clubs from the Premier League can sign players from the EFL and vice-versa up until the second transfer window closes.

So, hypothetically, there is still plenty of time for top-flight clubs to strike a deal with Brentford for Said Benrahma, who is yet to feature for the Bees this season amid transfer interest from the top-flight.

Equally, EFL clubs can still trade among themselves, unlike Premier League clubs, with no restriction on transfers within the same division.

11. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

duplicate

12. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Yes you’re right wize - our transfer window doesn’t close till the 16th.

My bad.

13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I thought our window closed on Monday just gone too. I didn't realise until the afternoon that ours wasn't closing yet.

14. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Welcome Ben Liddle, signed on a 2 year deal from Middlesbrough today. A 22 year old central midfielder who came up through the Boro academy where his dad, former pro Craig, was a coach.

More competition in the middle of the park. Now all we need is another striker.

15. old timer

Bennett gone to Grimsby on a season long loan

16. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Liddle in from Boro, a box to box central midfielder who likes to make things happen .

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Liddle left footed too which we've been after apparently.

18. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I think another striker will be handy but I can't see it one coming in going by B's latest comments. He is happy with what we have unless someone becomes available that improves what we have.

19. old timer

Well at least BG is not just signing players for the sake of it

20. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Tareiq Holmes-Dennis has had to officially retire from professional football at just the young age of 24. Such a shame because on his day for us, he was very good, better than L1 level.

old timer likes this.
  21. old timer

Sorry to hear that any player has to retire through injury at an early age football wise when he was fit to play he had a quality that would have suited the present team down to the ground
    Borussia Dortmund failed in bid to sign Timmy Abrahams who was on loan from Fulham last season

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020