1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Royal Stud 2023

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Bustino74, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Horrible run by Reach for the Moon.

2. Bustino74

Nearly all the Royal runners dissolved in the rain and soft going. The only one to make it to the races (apart from RftM) was Gentle Light who had a gentle introduction at Newbury. She did enough to suggest she'll win a race sometime.

Lady Wulfrun is confirmed as a runner tomorrow over 5f at Windsor. Is she an Albany filly getting in some experience?

Circle of Fire is entered in the Derby Trial on Friday at Sandown. Kingscote has the mount. No news from Gallop reports so far. The surprise next Friday is Slipofthepen is entered for the Esher Cup. Now why is that? Is it because he's come out of his race well and they've changed their mind about the Guineas OR does it mean Gosden wants to give him more experience and the Esher Cup looks an easy option? Here's a question: what was the name of the last Classic winner to run in the Esher Cup?

Reminder, who missed her date on Friday, is entered in a 6f maiden at Doncaster next Friday. This filly is a Dubawi half-sister to a Belmont Cup (16f) winner. She must be showing some speed at Kingsclere.

3. Bustino74

Slipofthepen beside, it's been a bit dire so far so I suppose today is a big day for the Royal stables. Circle of Fire reappears in the Sandown Classic Trial with Moore now on board. Looks a tough race and Circle of Fire is 4th of 5th in the betting. He's inexperienced and from his 2 runs last year you'd say he seems to need a distance. Well he's getting that today. Going looks on the heavy side of soft and his sire, Almanzor, didn't seem to be inconvenienced by it.

Yesterday Slipofthepen had a gallop on the Rowley Mile and having been declared at the latest stage for the 2000G looks a possible runner. You can see his gallop on the tdn site. He looked well and enthusiastic, and came away from his lead horse well. It obviously wasn't a Nashwanesque type gallop (Nashwan did a gallop in late April 1989 and his price tumbled from 33-1 to 5-1 in hours) but he looked all right. He is a flashy chestnut, which some people will hold against him.

Meanwhile the drip drip of 2yo information continues. Gosden has been sent 3 nicely bred youngsters:
    Crown Estate, a Dubawi colt out of a Group winning Sharmadal mare;
    Rainbows Edge, a Night of Thunder filly who's a half-sister to Recorder (and Reminder);
    and The King's General, a Dubawi colt who's a half-sister to the useful Perfect Alibi.
    They look a nice trio of 2yos.

Balding has a further 2yo: the unnamed Galileo daughter of Set to Music. Lady Wulfrun didn't run badly at Windsor on Monday but surely needs further.
    t

Ron likes this.
  4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Like Grundy. I hope I got away with that :biggrin:

Bustino74 likes this.
  5. Bustino74

Withdrawing Slipofthepen from the Esher Cup and giving him a gallop at Newmarket now looks a good move by the Gosdens. By the way, the horse that ran in the Esher Cup and then won a Classic was Shareef Dancer in 1983. He carried 9-7 in the handicap but was beaten by a Toby Balding lightweight. His next race was the King Edward at R Ascot, which he won. His next, and I think final, start was the Irish Derby which he won.

Estimate's latest foal, Market Value, makes her seasonal debut at Haydock tomorrow over 8f. She's by Siyouni and should be speedier than her siblings, just remains to be seen whether 8f is far enough.

6. Bustino74

Slipofthepen is withdrawn from the 2000G and can't say I'm surprised. Although I'm all for getting young horses out and running there is no point in overtrying a horse. It can ruin a horse's temperament and ultimate ability. I've been concerned with some of the campaigning by Royal horses in the past. An example of this is Reach for the Moon, who ran in a small maiden with promise (finished 2nd) and 10 days later found himself on terrible going in the Chesham. I can't help but think he was too rushed in his early career. A nice maiden at Newbury would have been a much better target. I suppose now Slipofthepen will be aimed at the Heron Stakes and, if he comes out of that well, will go to Royal Ascot.
    Hopefully a lot more sense will be shown in the future as regards entries at Royal Ascot. Last year's 10 or 11 entries looked a bit frantic.

Market Value showed enough to suggest she'll win races. I'd suggest another couple of furlongs might help. Reminder makes her debut in a 3yo maiden today and I'd expect a positive run.

There are now only two 2yos not named, though more are still to be placed with trainers. Lady Wulfrun has already run but I'd suggest Drumstick (a Land Force colt with Balding) and Serried Ranks (another Land Force colt but with Beckett) are likely to be more precocious types. Land Force is of course a sire standing at Highclere Stud, which should be no surprise. Beckett's Welsh Harbour (a full-sister to Kings Lynn) may also be early.

My tip for the big improver this year, Barrier, is entered at Salisbury on Sunday.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    Ron likes this.
  7. Bustino74

Circle of Fire ran well in the Sandown Classic Trial (at Newmarket) Stakes but not well enough to surge into Derby consideration. It was a great shame that the race was postponed as Warren's post race comment that he definitely needs further creates difficulty with the compacted diary. At the moment I'd reckon he's a Royal Ascot prospect (either the King Edward or the shortened Queen's Vase) but he'll possibly get a run in either in Lingfield's Derby Trial or what used to be the Predominate (Crooked Hat I think). No sign of Desert Hero from Haggas.
    Candle of Hope ran again but again on heavy going. She had no chance. She will be going down the handicap with these runs so again a run at RA in a handicap may not be out of the question.
    Not much happening at the moment, though again Saga gave the impression he should have won at Newmarket (despite Weaver not seeing his hold up 3 furlongs out). He hasn't got an electric change of pace so needs to come with a long run. If that run is delayed he's going to find it difficult.

8. Bustino74

A second Royal 2yo appears tomorrow. It's a Land Force colt called Serried Ranks. Excellent piece of naming that the Queen would be proud of. The dam is Pack Together, so Serried (meaning standing close together) Ranks is an appropriate name. It's also Beckett's first 2yo runner and certain to get placed. There are only 3 runners.

9. Bustino74

Serried Ranks, though green, wins fairly convincingly on his debut. A nice start as a Monarch's trainer for Beckett. He ran about a bit at times but knuckled down nicely when the favourite came at him. On paper the form is good as the 2nd was similarly 2nd to the dual winner Ziggy's Phoenix. I'd think 6f would suit him at this stage but hope they don't get silly and go for the Coventry.
    The mare Pack Together won first time out but though getting black type did not win again. There's a Cable Bay yearling filly and true to form Pack Together was sold (in foal to Land Force) in December.

OddDog likes this.
  10. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Looks a nice colt <ok>

11. Bustino74

Circle of Fire runs tomorrow in the All-Weather Lingfield Derby Trial. A remote second favourite to favourite Military Order, who's currently 3rd favourite for the Derby. Connections look to be feeling their way with him. Moore takes the mount. If he roughs up the favourite he could possibly book a place at Epsom. Let's see.
    With the card reopened Candle of Hope gets a surprise quick return in the G3 Chartwell Stakes (7f) after last week's unsuitable (ground) 4th. Can't help it's all a bit frantic with this filly and that with waiting for firmer ground she could win races. A second run on the all-weather not sure how suited she is to it. She needs to improve a stone or more to win this. Hopefully she'll do herself justice and get a place.

Market Value is booked to run Thursday and that looks the right race for her.

Balding gets another2yo in the shape of Calculate, a Cracksman colt out of an unraced Al Kazeem mare. I make that 5 2yos for him.

12. Bustino74

Reports at the time of the race were that the Royal colt stood out in the paddock as having the best looks, size and scope for improvement. Hornby said after the race ''He'll be better over six, he's a laid-back horse and he needed to be kept interested but galloped out strongly once he figured out what to do. It was a case of keeping him racing and competitive and that's how he's been trained at home. He's a big strong and heavy colt and all there. He's shown a bit of class and this is a minimum trip for him, he's done that on raw ability''.

All well and good. Unfortunately there are reports he'll be aimed at Ascot. Now I'm not against getting horses out and running. But don't overface them: it can ruin their future prospects. There's a trait with Royal horses to run them at Royal Ascot if they've shown a bit of ability. This was a 3 horse race at a smallish track. he may need more experience before a big day at Ascot.

13. Bustino74

Circle of Fire lost his chance at the gate in Saturday's all Weather Derby Trial. Though he made ground in the last 3f it wasn't enough to suggest he should go to Epsom. The King Edward VII is being suggested but I'm wondering if he wouldn't be better off over 14f in the Queens Vase.
    The third Derby colt, Desert Hero, is entered for Saturday's London Gold Cup Handicap at New bury. He must have had a setback to be starting so late but I see him as the most likely 12f Royal colt. If he runs well his target could be the KEVII.
    Today Slipofthepen puts a sizeable reputation on the line in the Heron Stakes. He goes against 3 others, two of which have good form that probably surpasses his. He will have to step up to win this but I think he will.
    Candle of Hope looks a busted flush. She seems to have been campaigned rather frantically and it may not have helped her. I also thought she looked as if she hadn't grown on Saturday. Will be interesting to see what they will do with her.

Hopefully with the going improving we'll see more 2yos out.

14. Bustino74

Dire run by Slipofthepen. The excuse was given that he found the going too sticky. He does have a fine action but I thought this was a very poor performance.

Desert Hero still down to run Saturday. The Haggas/Marquand team seems to be be definitely hitting its stride. Also on Saturday Barrier (my tip for a big improver) seems to have knocked into a tough one in Sumo Sam. She does get 6lb from him.

On Sunday Marquand makes a visit to the City of Ripon to ride Market Value. This must be a good chance for her to start her winning career.

Monday sees two fillies, Gentle Light (Moore/Stoute) and Value Added (Buick/Hughes) entered in the same Windsor maiden. Hopefully it will be split and both will run. There are currently 40 entries, so if all stood their ground (unlikely I know) there'd be 3 divisions. But there'd be 3 divisions if 29 stood their ground as the most runners you can have at this Berkshire nightspot is 14. So hopefully it will divide into 2 races. Just shows what effect last Summer's firm ground and this Spring's bogs has had on 3yo maiden's chances to get a run in..

So some activity for a change. Let's hope it's good.

15. Bustino74

The BHA website is a mine of information. With regard to the Royal Stud I use it for determining who is training the horses bred by the stud. I also find out if horses have been taken out of training and whether they have re-entered training.
    The Stewards reports can be interesting, as for example Andrea Atzeni got a 4 day holiday after riding the Yorkshire Cup winner yesterday.
    At the moment I'm checking it to find if Monday's fillies maiden at Windsor is oversubscribed (and hence will be subdivided) and if the two Royal fillies are declared. Declarations are made 2 days in advance and at this point of the morning 3 have been declared and so far the Royal fillies have not: but it's early in the day. I think declarations close about 10am. A problem will be the amount of rain the Royal county got yesterday.

I'm sure a lot of you know this but some may not, and as I say a mine of information.

16. Bustino74

On a day that the 3rd Royal Derby horse has his bubble pricked and a filly runs as if she has never had a gallop, let alone seen a racecourse, the sold Calmly wins a listed race in Italy.

You have to ask who's making these decisions.

17. Bustino74

Well it wasn't good. Desert Hero was too free, Barrier was shocking, Gentle Light did not improve on her debut (in fact went backwards) and Value Added was withdrawn. The week was saved by Market Value winning her maiden at Ripon. She took the race by the scruff of its neck and when they came to her she strode away to a comfortable win with a bit of urging from Marquand. As a filly by Siyouni out of Estimate she's a valuable bit of horseflesh. She's the first offspring of Estimate to win at less than 12f. She'll learn from this and I suppose they'll look for a little listed race and some black type.

Today another filly makes her seasonal debut. As a daughter of Galileo, Blue Missile is also a valuable filly. She started favourite on her debut in September but was too green. She won her maiden readily enough in November. Today she lines up in the listed Height of Fashion Stakes (formerly the Lupe Stakes). On pedigree she should get this distance though her brother Dukedom (by Dubawi) was raced at 6f. She should pick up some black type today.

Tomorrow Serried Ranks makes his 2nd start and despite having to give 6lb to the field should score again. Glad he's gone for the 6f race.

18. Bustino74

Two months into the turf season and it's an inauspicious start. 4 winners for the Royal colours this year is a poor return and must be testing the King in his first full season.
    Of the older horses, Kings Lynn and Saga have run acceptably but look difficult to place. Reach for the Moon and Educator both ran extremely disappointing seasonal debuts.
    Of the 3yos, Slipofthepen was the main hope but after a workmanlike opener on the all-weather was made to look quite ordinary in his Listed debut. The other two original Derby Entries, Circle of Fire and Desert Hero, have something to prove. The only improver seems to be Estimate's Siyouni daughter, Market Value but she has a way to go before she's considered something special. Value Added, who looked to be a filly with a future, has frustratingly not run despite being often entered. The runs of Gentle Light, Reminder, Blue Missile and Barrier have been unaccountably poor.
    Only two 2yos have been entered so far and Serried Ranks looked useful when winning on his debut. On Saturday he ran a highly disappointing race at Salisbury. I make it that there are 17 other 2yos in training (with a few yet to go into training) hopefully one or two of these will brighten things up.

It now looks pretty certain that Charlton and Bell are no longer Royal trainers. Hannon may be in the same position, while even Hughes (no 2yos assigned) could be in trouble. Stoute has so far only has only one 2yo assigned. Top of the tree seems to be Balding and Haggas, with Beckett coming up fast with 4 2yos assigned. Gosden looks solid.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
  19. Bustino74

Time for a catch-up on who's got what as regards the 2yos.

Balding
    named on his Website
    Calculate c by Cracksman out of Craftiness
    Drumstick c by Land Force out of Humdrum
    Falsetto f by Galileo out of Set to Music
    Lady Wulfrun f by Saxon Warrior out of Good Hope
    Works of Art f by Zoffany out of Make Fast

Beckett
    named on his website
    Unnamed f by Al Wukair out of Crystal Reef (this is not Royal Stud but Juddmonte bred)
    Anglepoise f by Zoustar out of Hypoteneuse (not named on website but is named on Breeder's Cup website)
    Serried Ranks c by Land Force out of Pack Together
    Welsh Harbour f by Cable Bay out of Kinematic
    two 2yos originally listed on Beckett's website came out of training in May. They were:-
    Royal Command f by Kingman out of Enticement
    Treasure f by Mastercraftsman out of Shimmering Light

Haggas
    named on BHA website
    Candle Wax c by Dubawi out of Shama
    Gilded Water c by Fastnet Rock out of Fiery Sunset
    Hard to Resist f by Dubawi out of Magnetic Charm
    Kings Ginger c by Kingman out of Sweet Idea
    Transitory c by Le Havre out of Momentary

Gosden
    named on BHA website
    Crown Estate c by Dubawi out of Castle Lady
    Rainbow's Edge f by Night of Thunder out of Memory
    The King's General c by Dubawi out of Daphne

Prescott
    Unnamed f by Almanzor out of Star Value (on Prescott website)
    Tented Camp f by Shalaa out of al Wathna (name in article, Al Shaqab breeding not royal Stud))

Stoute
    named on BHA website
    Reaching High c by Sea the Stars out of Estimate

Not allocated
    French Farce f by Australia out of Pure Fantasy
    High Order c by Frankel out of Diploma
    Trout Stream c by Siyouni out of Golden Stream (also not registered on BHA website)
    plus two listed as out of training under Beckett

That comes to 20 two-year-olds currently in training with 5 others either unallocated or out of training for some reason.

Ron likes this.
  20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Did Beckett and Prescott get the left overs?