1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Roverum away!

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Jan 28, 2020.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I think the issue is with not having full backs overlapping with wide midfielders / wingers and everything getting bogged down in the middle of the park. We definitely had more of a threat when KVY was in the side and on the other side Garbutt is not so effective in the current system. we’ve got the redundant Chambers in the side instead and Woolfy is being forced to get forward to make stuff happen.

2. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Judge has had long enough to prove himself but unfortunately his contribution is negligible so on that basis he won't be missed if replaced, Skues has scored once for us that I'm aware of and that was 3 or 4 seasons ago, I can't remember when but I know I was there.
    All in all we are not scoring from midfield which coupled to our mis firing strikers is seriously effecting our results, and if we can get Nolan out the door hopefully we can get a loanee in who can actually score.

3. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Or we could go back to 4-4-2 with Downes and Bishop/Huws as central midfielders. Garbutt and Edwards on wings - until Rowe gets back. Back 4 of Kenlock, Wilson, Wolfy and donacien but it won’t happen

4. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

It won't happen because we looked poor playing 4-4-2 and it doesn't really play to the squad's strengths. We lack good options out wide as out-and-out wingers, but we are well-stocked with central midfielders. We look solid with a trio of centre-backs and full-backs pushing on. I'd rather Garbutt and Edwards running the channels - although we need KVY back into the team as soon as possible - rather then start Kenlock and Donacien, who have both been poor this season.

The 3-5-2 system has worked well in our previous four games to Rotherham. The issue against Rotherham is that we didn't change our system, or even style of play, to counter Rotherham's widespread approach to pressing until 70 minutes into the match. We resorted to aimless long balls, which hasn't won us enough matches for years now and did not seem to have the confidence to play through Rotherham's press. I'm hoping for a change in mentality and more confidence against Peterborough tomorrow.

Roystonblue likes this.
  5. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

The question is how we react if ,surprise,surprise,Peterborough go for us from the outset!

6. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Looks like Huws & Bishop both might miss tomorrow's game. If true, that will most likely give us a midfield 3 of: Downes, Skuse & Judge

7. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Today for me is an example why PL has done so well. Lack of funds and players made out of glass.

We have 3 fit CBs, 1 who is over the hill, 1 who's playing his first season at this level with very little first team experience and 1 a Lincoln reject. You can't tell me that is a strong squad?

fieldmarshall likes this.
  8. itfcptc

Looks like at least we won't have to face them with Marcus Maddison.

9. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought that too.
    Hopefully someone comes in for Toney and Eisa too..
    Strange move from Posh

10. itfcptc

Especially as it's only a loan

11. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Interesting to see a bid from Brighton was rejected for Dobra. It was apparently well below our valuation, but if a club like Brighton (with their scouting system in place) are sniffing around him, hopefully his head won’t be turned. I know he gets next to no first team opportunities, but I’ve been impressed with Dobra’s performances in the cup competitions. I can’t see him fitting into a 3-5-2, but would like to see him on the bench more often in case we need to change things up. He does look a promising player.

12. itfcptc

I agree would be good to see Dobra on the bench especially when someone like Bishop isn't there. I think he could play in a 532 just behind the strikers

13. itfcptc

Good to see Evans has learnt from his previous mistakes and strengthened a weak squad who are in a good position <doh>

fieldmarshall likes this.
  14. itfcptc

But at least we held onto our best players....Heard this all before