1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rovers Latest News - Janaury Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by old timer, Dec 13, 2017.

1. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

I see Blackpool have just lost 4-2 on penalties at Shrewsbury, sounds like Lumley was in goal so his first game wasn't one to remember. Hopefully the whole Blackpool team will be knackered and downbeat when we play them. Who knows, if we can find someone that knows where the goal is, we might just bring the points back on Sat.

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/2018/january/newlockyercontract/

We are pleased to announce that skipper Tom Lockyer today signed a new contract to extend his stay at The Memorial Stadium.

Manager Darrell Clarke said of Lockyer’s decision to sign a new deal;
    “I am delighted that Tom has agreed to extend his stay with the club. It’s always pleasing to be able to retain the services of your best players and Tom certainly falls into that category. He is still only 23 and has played over 200 games for the club in all competitions, which is a fantastic achievement. A skipper who leads by example and who has been one of our most consistent players, Tom won his first Welsh cap earlier this season and I hope it’s the first of many for him.”

Tom said;
    “It was an easy decision. There were a few things to think about, obviously, but the main thing for me is to get back to my best, sign a new deal and put everything to one side and just concentrate on my football.”

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  4. years ago

years ago Active Member

u cant buy loyalty. Thanks Tom

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Potentially a new signing will be announced today if a medical can be passed. It will be a permanent deal. Could have been 2 new signings but 1 of the players pulled out late last night. That too would have been a permanent deal.

DC said today that he wants 4 players in the door this window. He is only looking for permanent deals at the moment. He will only look in the loan market during the last week of the window, if needed.

Lumley was discussed as we are playing Blackpool. DC confirmed reason why we didnt go in for him at the start of this season is because he wasnt available on a permanent deal and wanted 2 keepers on permanent deals as wanted to steer away from loans.

Here is the DC interview in full...

6. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

A big deal being made by Rovers over this tweet, acting like its a big named player, signed from a top club when I bet its a signing from a non league club <laugh>

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I was right about a lot of fuss being made for a non league player.

10. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

He's got a phenomenal goal record though :emoticon-0148-yes:

11. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

I know its fooking embarrassing <doh> no wonder we're a laughing stock:mad:

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  12. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

14 goals in 56 games for a striker at non league level. Is that phenomenal is it?? <laugh>

13. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

It is for us when you compare him it to Nicholls and James :emoticon-0136-giggl

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

All the details....

Aldershot striker Bernard Mensah today became Darrell Clarke’s first signing in the January transfer window, arriving at The Mem for an undisclosed fee.

Speaking of the new arrival the manager said;
    “I am delighted to welcome Bernard to Bristol Rovers. He’s a young player who has done very well at Aldershot and I’m pleased to be able to welcome him to our squad. I look forward to working with him and helping him develop further as a player.”

The 23 year old, who goes straight into the squad travelling to Blackpool for Saturday’s EFL League One fixture, said;
    “I’m very pleased to have signed so early in the transfer window as the earlier the deal is done the better for the player and the club. There were a few other clubs interested in signing me but once I heard of Rovers’ interest they were my first choice. The Aldershot manager, Gary Waddock told me about the fans here, something I already knew having played here a couple of times myself.”

Bernard began his career at Watford, where he was offered a two year scholarship at the beginning of the 2011/12 season, and he signed a professional contract that would activate on his 17th birthday. He scored 14 goals in 19 appearances for Watford’s U-18 side during the 2012/13 season before becoming a full professional at the end of that campaign. His Watford debut came against Bolton Wanderers, on 23rd November 2013 and in January 2014 he joined Conference side Braintree Town in a one month loan deal, which was later extended for a further month and a further extension was later agreed, taking him up until the end of the season. In November 2014, he joined Barnet on loan and made a substitute appearance for The Bees against Rovers on 25th November, a game that Rovers won 2-1. He rejoined Braintree, again on loan, in February 2015 and made his second appearance of that season on 24th February when Rovers recorded another 2-1 win. He remained with the Essex outfit until the end of the 2014/15 campaign.

Released by Watford in the summer of 2016, he signed for National League side Aldershot Town and in his time with The Shots he has scored 14 goals in 56 league games.

https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/2018/january/mensahsigns/

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Very true.

16. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

At least its a signing I suppose

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Im sure he will be ok. Wonder if he will play out wide to replace Bodin? Or will he play up front and Nicholls or Harrison play in Bodins place?

18. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

19. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Watch his goal vs Tranmere. Go to 55 seconds into the clip and see a great goal....

20. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator