1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rovers Latest News - Janaury Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by old timer, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Luke James told he can leave by Forest Green this window

Isn't Baghdadi the left sided M/F who scored goals while on loan before Christmas, might be useful if he was included in the senior match day squad

3. old timer

I notice that many clubs from the Premiership to League 2 are signing players already this window even our neighbours across the city have made a signing, so I have to ask why there has been no positive news from the Rovers. DC said weeks ago that his shopping list's had been handed to the board, are we chasing players who are asking for unreasonable wages by our club standards or are they waiting to see if they get a better offer, if it's the latter maybe we should move to other targets, the player concerned might be very good but if he is only going to play for us because nobody else wants him I am not sure that we should either

4. old timer

Just looked at the P N E report on sky Bodin has 2 fouls and 1 assist to his name

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

50' Goal! Wycombe Wanderers 1, Preston North End 3. Daryl Horgan (Preston North End) left footed shot from the left side of the box to the centre of the goal. Assisted by Billy Bodin.

PNE's 3rd goal. Here is their game highlights if you are interested... Bodins assist aint anything special.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42519701

6. old timer

Jo Lumley signed for Blackpool today on loan for rest of season

7. old timer

Broadbent signed an extension to his current deal no length given.

Bodin and Burn have both left Burn on loan, does that increase the number of players coming in or did the three he wanted include those two. They were hoping for three new players by the weekend time is running out not very hopeful that any new players will be in place for Saturdays match against Blackpool

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Perfect timing! Who do we play next???? <doh>

9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Good bit of business that. Hopefully we have learned from previous contract negotiations so if there is a release clause then make it a decent fee instead of another promising player being allowed to leave for peanuts. Better still, I hope n release fee was added to his contract then there is nothing to worry about full stop!

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

There wont be any signing new signings before the weekend. Just my opinion but im positive about it. My reasoning behind this is based on the following. Weeks before the transfer window opened, DC publicly put the ball in the boards court. He told the public in an interview that he has given the board his shopping list of players. A shopping list for Aldi players and for Waitrose players. Therefore DC has publicly told everyone that regardless of what budget is available, there are players to go and get. To me, deals could have been made before the transfer window actually opened so when it does open, we have a player or players walking straight in the door. But nothing happened. 9 days into the window being open, still nothing. I know 9 days is not a lot of time to some people but the board has had a list of players to sign (which fits in for all budgets) for a lot longer than 9 days. And yet nothing. On top of that, Hamer said following Bodin's departure that Boding leaving was inevitable. So if they knew he was going, where is the forward thing from the board to get ready replacements in the door? Only DC seems to be showing any forward thinking with giving his wanted list way in advance of the window opening which he publicly admitted to doing. I keep banging on about that being done publicly because that's DC's way of saying to everyone its out of his hands so fans frustrations wont be aimed his way. Good on him for doing that. It puts all the pressure on the board to act which they haven't done. So again, I will say that DC gave his shopping list way in advance before the window opened to the board to meet all budgets. Yet Hamer admitted in public after Bodin left that he has yet spoken to DC about budgets and funding's available. So what has the board been doing with DC's shopping lists all that time??? Why have the board only decide to act after Bodin left, remember mind that Hamer himself said it was inevitable that Bodin was going to go???

Therefore, personally, I think its fair to say no signings will be with us before Saturday. And I doubt any signings will be with us by the end of the window. Only signings we will get will be youngsters on loan near the end of the window. Players like Telford. Players who wont get a real chance to show what they can do.

I truly hope I am wrong.

old timer likes this.

11. old timer

I put the post about Lumley on because we are playing Blackpool next hopefully they will remember any weaknesses in his game and exploit them though as a fan I don't recall any obvious ones. I also believe that we won't see any signings in this window but we will see a major very important signing in the summer a manager as I think DC will well fed up. Notice that Oxford have spent £200,000.00 on a young Liverpool player, all the teams around us are making signings to strengthen their squads and if we don't go careful we will be back in league2

12. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I think Broadbent could be a future captain...

13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

We lost something like 8 in 9 games or 9 in 10 games when Bodin was out injured. That is a sign of whats to come. Now think about how many points we are above the bottom 4. Just 5 points from the relegation zone. So it seems pretty simple to me. Sign some players and pretty darn quick.

old timer likes this.
  14. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

When DC signed Nichols I thought he would probably be a bit like Bodin, but he's been a bit disappointing so far. Hopefully DC will be able to spend some money on a decent replacement rather than relying on loans or freebies.

15. old timer

Gastro after reading your post a Roy Orbison song came into my mind " in dreams "

16. years ago

years ago Active Member

It does seem that a few on here are very pessimistic re Rovers filling the spaces that are wanted.Firstly I would like it realised that getting a new player is not just ringing up and all done straight away. The world knows Rovers is a buyer and the 'reporter' from the Bristol post has a tendency to give false impressions which are easy to want
    .Yes our manager has told the board his requests and I am sure they are making attempts: to fill his wishes but not in public, u see in the Brexit that the worst thing u can do is tell everyone where your negotiating point and targets are.

I know no more that you but I am sure that the board is intelligent enough to be doing there best for the club.

I am sure that the current owners , although from the middle east and some in banking are not in the ultra rich group and therefore be grateful that they seem to be running OUR club in a commercial manner hopefully for the long time.

Like u I want to see progress but not such that we rush and get the wrong player at the wrong price just to satisfy Rovers mutterers.

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I know what you are saying but you say you don't want us to rush and get the wrong player, but if the player we get is on DC's list then he is suppose to be the right player right? So it doesnt matter if he joins us straight away. If he is on DC's list then I rather have him as early as possible then we got him for more games rather then wait and hang around before another club grabs him offering more money.

The lists were given to the board weeks before the window opened. Hamer confirmed after Bodin was sold that he had yet to speak to DC about what budgets are available. Do you not agree that should have been done before the window opened? This is why I am frustrated. Why is the board only discussing budgets with DC after Bodin being sold? Is that not concerning to you? I am not having a go at you or anyone and believe me, I don't enjoy feeling this way about our club and I really am not trying to turn you or anyone against the board and the club.

I am sure the board are making attempts with signing players and no one is suggesting they want to know every detail about what they are doing. But if budgets were agreed prior to the window opening (like it should have been done), like when DC put his shopping lists in, then some deals could have been agreed ready for when the window opens. The new players would have had this period of no games to learn tactics/formations and start gelling with the rest of the squad. Several clubs made early signings to go through as soon as the window opened. I know its not a simple process that you make 1 phone call and its all done the same day. Of course not. But if other clubs can do their business quick and DC has his shopping list of Aldi and Waitrose players that he wants, its down to the board to either back him or not. Of course players could turn us down or we cant afford the fee or wage. However, the reason why I am sure we will struggle to sign anyone is purely down to the fact that the club are acting too slow. DC showed forward thinking in advance of the window opening. He wants and needs signings so of course he will get his bit done early. But for the board not to even discuss budgets until after Bodin was sold is a big concern to me. Now I would understand if they wanted to wait until they got money for Bodin but that was a gamble because he could have been sold late on the last day of the window like when Taylor joined City. The fact that Hamer said Bodin leaving was inevitable then they could have easily discused budgets much earlier with his fee in mind.

18. years ago

years ago Active Member

I believe that the fact that the Rovers are in the market does not making buying easier. Many of the players DC wants may not be keen to be sold by their club and the management know that they have the remainder of the month to try to see what the market for that [player may be, so no hurry

I somewhat believe that the management are hiding what position they are in re DC and his choices and budgets and I suspect the Chairman has been making the position known to the board for a few weeks. The difference between being a buyer and seller is great. and currently it is a sellers market

I then wonder why they sold Bodin early in selling period, I can only suspect because they wanted to be sure how much they would then have available to spend themselves..before he was worth no transfer price in the summer
    Let us hope for news shortly. stlll 20 days to go

19. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I so hope you are right years ago <ok>

20. old timer

Maybe we should have agreed a fee for Bodin and told Preston he would join them we had found his replacement and if they were not happy with that they could have either come back in the summer and got for free or risked losing him to another club.
    We now face higher placed teams without one of our main goal scorers and with no replacement sight.