1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rovers Latest News - Janaury Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by old timer, Dec 13, 2017.

1. MassiveAttack

MassiveAttack Well-Known Member

chins up lads
    please log in to view this image

please log in to view this image

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Good luck Billy. You deserve to play at a higher level than what we can offer.

It was expected that we would lose Billy. But I thought we would have the guts to keep him and let him walk in the summer. At least that way, he is available for us to make sure we are safe and remain our League 1 status and it also means that Billy will be free to choose from a choice of championship clubs to his disposal that would be knocking on his door. The only positive I can see from losing him now is at least it ain't on transfer deadline day where we got no time to find a replacement. We have all month now and hopefully we will find someone as good as him. But I severely doubt that will happen because the fee reported is a disgrace, regardless of the length of contract he had left with us. If DC gets all of the money to get a replacement, who is available for £400k or less that is as good as Billy? No one scored more League 1 goals than Billy in 2017. With the transfer market these days where big fee's seem to be the norm, I cant help but think we have been robbed yet again. You wont find even a non league player who is half as good as Billy for £400k or less. So I can only see us struggling from now until the end of the season. Reason why.... what was our form like when Billy was with us but injured? Extremely poor. The new owners have publicly admitted that we don't have to sell our best players. We didn't have to put ourselves in the position. We didn't have to let him go yet. To me, shows more evidence of our lack of ambition.

Of course, I could be wrong and DC could find someone as good or if not better and everything will go swimmingly. But come on. Do you really think this?

I wont be surprised if DC leaves between now and the summer. He signed a 5 year deal after turning down Leeds because he said our ambition matches his. Then UWE fell through. Then the training ground. No news on whats going on with the stadium or the training ground. I can see DC being pretty damn frustrated. Now he loses Bodin for what I can only described as peanuts.

Oh well. We are ragbag Rovers so what else should I really expect from BRFC.

Quilllogic likes this.
  3. Quilllogic

Quilllogic Active Member

When the new owners took over I think we all felt that we were going places in the not too distant future.
    This just hasn't happened (almost the reverse in fact) and I don't think there is any money available as we were led to believe.
    I also agree that the clubs ambitions don't appear to be matching those of DC and unless something happens soon he will move on.

4. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Good Luck Billy!! You have earned the promotion. Looking at the Championship table..........over the last few weeks, without doing anything spectacular, PNE have climbed out of the bottom half of the table and are within striking distance of the top six. They are not that far adrift from the teams above who are all faltering, except Wolves of course. Billy could make all of the difference required for PNE.
    One thing is for sure. This is an enormous test for our owners. If DC is not happy with how the transfer fee is spent, then he cannot be expected to maintain his loyalty to our Club. The AQ's need to get this period in our development absolutely spot on!!!

5. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Thanks for Bodin we'll look after him apparently that other side in your city the one we always beat think they can have our centre forward but why go to a fading team might as well stay with us. UTG

6. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Interesting interview with Steve Hamer, he said they would be talking to DC in the next couple of days to get his thoughts, I was under the impression that DC had given them his list of possible transfer targets with his Poundland, Aldi, and Waitrose list of targets

7. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

old timer I've changed the title of your thread a bit :emoticon-0148-yes:

old timer likes this.
  8. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

9. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

10. MassiveAttack

MassiveAttack Well-Known Member

Doesn't make any sense at all. Seems like someone needs to learn the basics of punctuation.

11. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

No disrespect intended but what does this mean?!!

12. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

He's been great for us and good luck to him. Sometimes the players raise their game when a star player leaves. Sometimes they don't. Hope things work out both ways and DC gets some decent replacements.

13. themaclad

Never mind was an attempt to poke humour at your cross town rivals, don't worry I'll stick to my day job!!!!

14. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Why take the piss, you took Cunningham from us and he was a great success for you, we took Bailey- Wright from you and he has been great for us, great 2 way business between 2 Championship clubs that came up together, job done, good business, great relationship.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Exactly old timer. Worrying isn't it.

Also DC said after the Pompey game that HE has turned down 3 bids for 3 players. To me this means DC makes the decision to sell or not. Hamer said earlier that he will discuss with DC about what is available to DC form Bodins fee, implying that DC doesnt know yet. Now if DC made the decision to let Bodin go then I would have thought that DC would have checked first with Hamer and the owners if he would see any of that fee to reinvest, otherwise he may have rejected Prestons bid. The fact that Hamer said he will discuss with DC about Bodins fee tells me that DC didn't make the decision to let Bodin go.

Listen to DC here about this transfer window... 4 mins 20 secs in... This was said on Monday. 2 days later Bodins gone. It just doesn't make sense.

16. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

Sorry mate, the penny has just dropped! Can't believe how bleedin' dense I am sometimes!! All has become clear now.

themaclad likes this.
  17. themaclad

No blame me long day flu ridden and an inability to punctuate anything at all

18. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Usually in the past I would have joined in. But to be fair to us, you just took away any hope we had in anything positive happening to us this season and you did it by giving us peanuts for him. We may as well bent over for you at the same time! Not really in the mood to join in with you with anything tbh. Also, think about it, winding up our neighbours who are having a deserved fantastic season so far would only make me look a bit of a plonker than I normally do <ok>

themaclad likes this.
  19. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Listening to Steve Hamers interview CJS I got the impression that they were not prepared to let him go free in the summer. I also thought he said that all the money would be given to DC for strengthening the team £500,000 is one figure I read somewhere. Hamer also said that Bodin had turned down four offers each better than the ones which were offered previously. I also thought that last Saturday he played like a player who didn't want to get to involved in case he got injured and Bodin I believe he went to watch them play and was impressed

20. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

You ain't no plonker mate, just like the rest of us, you love your own club. <ok>

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018